Total Airhead, XIN Super Mini, or JTM PIMETA?
Apr 24, 2004 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

DJGeorgeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Those are the candidates to be used with my ER4S and Shure E2. Which one would give the best sound?

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 17
IMO - the JMT Pimeta.

But they are all comparable and the real question is how much are you willing to pay, how large can the amp be and how much battery life do you need?

The JMT takes a 9V battery - last longer than the TAH (btw - the Airhead sounds EXACTLY like the TAH so save some cash here if you go the headroom route) and although its not as neutral sounding - the coloration is very pleasant...musical...

The Headroom crossfeed in the Airhead is something I dont really appreciate...it does something but its not something I like...muddies the bass as well.

The Xin is super - small, efficient and nice sounding but not so good with higher impedance headphones.

Cheers!

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 17
for the PIMETA is that custom built? or can you order it off an online store? if it's custom built how hard is it to build could a 13yr old do it?

Apr 24, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CraziiNick
for the PIMETA is that custom built? or can you order it off an online store? if it's custom built how hard is it to build could a 13yr old do it?

visit www.jmtaudio.com email him or fill out the request at the bottom of his products page. He is the one that builds jmt amps. Unless you have a background of electronics, you probablycan't do it. If you don't know what a soldering iron is, definitely can't do .
Since you are 13, see if your high school has electronics classes, especially "audio electronics" there you will learn the basics and will aid you in the future.
If you don't know what a soldering iron is, definitely can't do .

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 17
You don't need background in electronics. You just need experience selecting parts and know how to solder and work with your hands. Pretty easy to make a META.

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 17
JMT PIMETA is an amp configuration build by DIYer JMT. JMT is the builder and PIMETA is the type of amp. As such, there is a certain amount of customization that can be done with that amp. Assuming you have JMT build the PIMETA with the best possible parts and options to maximize sound, it should be better than the supermini or total airhead.

This type of amp can be built by anyone who has some soldering skills and a little knowledge of electronics. I don't see why a 13 year old couldn't build one except that parts need to be ordered and as such the said 13 year old would probably benefit from the use of a parent or guardian's credit card.

More information regarding DIY electronics can be found here. There are also many other resources, including the DIY forum at Head-Fi.

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 17
I am interested what people say with XIN SuperDual that will be out around early May. Been holding back forever
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 17
ok well I know what a soldering iron is but my hands get really shacky when I get nervous especially with little electronics how much soldering does one have to do and my high school sucks i don't think they have electronics class let alone a audio electronics class and what does high school matter? I'm not going for a while I'm in 7th grade

Apr 25, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 17
usually, in middle school, they have some sort of electronics class, but many schools (including my old jr high school) don't have such a class. it doesn't really matter if you are young. you just have to have sharp mind and be able to figure things out, and i've had that since a long time ago. it's best to start off with tangent's guide and then do his CMoy guide too. as far as soldering irons go, your best bet is probably the Weller WLC-100 + the ST5 (since the ST7 is easy to break if dropped) replacement tip. you can get both the soldering station and replacement tip for around $45 at any online store or at an electronics store such as Fry's.

check out: www.tangentsoft.net/audio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince
I am interested what people say with XIN SuperDual that will be out around early May. Been holding back forever
tongue.gif

yeah i can't wait for the superdual either. that little thing is going to own.

Apr 25, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 17
Age doesn't really matter when it comes to building amps. You jsut need ot either know how to solder or learn how to solder.

Pick up a RadioShack soldering iron, some perfboard, some solder, and a few resistors or whatnot. Shouldn't cost more than $20. Play around with it, trying to solder the resistors to the perfboard. If it goes well, then buy the parts for an amp and solder it. Best to start with a $20 CMoy before spending $100+ on a PIMETA or PPA.

But a premade PCB if you can, or at least one with long pads like the one at Tangent's site because with plain perfboard you need to make your own traces. I wasted far too much of my youth trying to make correct solder bridges between pads on a recent project that is similar to the RA-1.

Best of luck with your DIY. Good to see other <18 y/o people getting into headphones. FOllowing average life expectancies, you've got ~70 years of headphonin' to look foreward to.

Apr 25, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #12 of 17
I rally don't want to build a Cmoy I've read the whole thing on the PPA I mean everything! My brain hurts now lol
tongue.gif
well I read a lot online about electronics and everything so I know a little and all i had was a stupid tech class I knew everything that they taught us it was a waist of a class period

Apr 25, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng
JMT PIMETA?

what about just PIMETA

or how about the mister X pimeta?

I am sure this is not some form of advertisement my friend. He asked a question about the JMT PIMETA for whatever reason. There is absolutely no need to bring up such silly "adverts" because they are not necessary. He may have had a good experience with JMT as I did and I am sure MisterX also builds quality amps.

The point is - lets not get into advertising here and try to draw people away from one DIYer to another - they barely make any money out of building amps anyway and somehow they have found a way to live together...

The reason is - pure love for what they do.

Let not you and I make them commercial animals.

Peace Out!!
cool.gif

Apr 25, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoner
The real question is why this thread isn't in the amp forum?.

I will move it there now.
EDIT - This doesn't quite belong to the Amp forum, since all of these amps are portable amps. Thus, I have moved it to the Portable Audio forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back