Mar 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mikek200

Headphoneus Supremus
Which type of toslink cable is better?
Glass or the standard type?

Thanks ,
Mike

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 24
Glass, from what I've heard. Plastic is almost there, though.

Buy a Lifatec SILFLEX cable. I own both a 6 ft. OPTISILK Toslink and 6 ft. Armored Mini-Toslink from them and with music BOY IS IT GOOD. I'm hearing things I've never heard before in songs. It's made with 470 strands of Glass Fibers. I received mine within two days of ordering. I don't think there is a better one on the market.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 24
i want the lifatec SILFLEX as well.... let me know whenever you have it for sale haha

Quote:

Buy a Lifatec SILFLEX cable. I own both a 6 ft. OPTISILK Toslink and 6 ft. Armored Mini-Toslink from them and with music BOY IS IT GOOD. I'm hearing things I've never heard before in songs. It's made with 470 strands of Glass Fibers. I received mine within two days of ordering. I don't think there is a better one on the market.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 24

Quote:

Thanks Deverica,for your reply...
I will go over the link...
Have you compared this cables from ,against any other manufacturers...is there that much of a difference,in SQ
They are definetly not cheap..

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 24
I bought a $5 optical from Amazon to replace the stock cable I had as it was not long enough. After listening to it for a while, I compared to the stock and it was A LOT better.

So I compared the Lifatec to my Amazon cable. It is better. A whole new layer of sound has opened up. Cymbals really shine with this. I am hearing details in songs I always hear. I'm like 
basshead.gif

That $5 is not bad but the reason why I changed is because I SWEAR I could hear a veil in my music. It was bugging the hell out of me. That disappeared with the Lifatec.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 24
is there that much of a difference,in SQ
They are definetly not cheap..

Just so that you hear from the other side: those are digital cables. They either work, or they don't. There will be no difference in sound quality whatsoever. Buy quality cables for their durability, but don't break your piggy bank over this.

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
Just so that you hear from the other side: those are digital cables. They either work, or they don't. There will be no difference in sound quality whatsoever. Buy quality cables for their durability, but don't break your piggy bank over this.

+1. My discriminator for optical cables is physical flexibility, since this is usually their weakness.

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 24
i bought the Dayton Audio Glass optical which is known for the Best bang for buck glass optical. It does sound a lot better than stock optical cables. But im curious if the Lifeatec will make a difference. I doubt the different will night and day but that last 10-20% performance curiosity is killing me.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 24

Originally Posted by Iniamyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1. My discriminator for optical cables is physical flexibility, since this is usually their weakness.

I see what where you're coming from, but that's complete crap. Like I said, before I bought the Lifatec, I heard a difference between my tinny Titanium HD cable and the thicker one I got from Amazon. I'm gonna A/B the Amazon and Lifatec right now and prove you wrong. Amazon first than Lifatec, listening to a certain part of the song.

Black Sabbath - Wicked World - Self-Titled: Deluxe Expanded Edition, 2009: Huge layer lifted. More detail. More enjoyable and more kick.
Black Sabbath -  Cornucopia - Vol. 4, The Ozzy Years; Complete Albums Box Set, 2010: Not much of a difference. A little clearer.
Beatles - Octopus's Garden (44.1, 24), Abbey Road, 2009: Huge layer lifted. Clearer cymbals, heavier bass.
Ben Folds Five - Brick - Whatever And Ever Amen [Remaster], 2005: Heard better, heavier bass with more kick.
Daft Punk - Around the World - Homework, 1997: Better bass, cymbals, and hear an echo effect much better.
Cobbie Callat, Realize, Coco, 2007: Both were enjoyable. The Lifatec lifted a little layer. Could hear the acoustic guitar better and clearer.

Granted, I am using two TUNAMI GPX-R plugs so that may change what you would hear but I think it's worth the money.

Quote:
i bought the Dayton Audio Glass optical which is known for the Best bang for buck glass optical. It does sound a lot better than stock optical cables. But im curious if the Lifeatec will make a difference. I doubt the different will night and day but that last 10-20% performance curiosity is killing me.

That, I am not sure about. What you got may be of high-quality. I myself saw other glass cables but just wanted the best so I just bought the SILFLEX. You would have to give it a shot. There's a 30-day return policy (full refund) and it's really small/light so what do you lose for shipping? I'd say give it a shot if you wanna see.

Here are two other reviews on the Lifatecs and these helped make my decision:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=665231&postcount=33
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?htech&1313191131&openflup&4&4#4

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 24

Quote:

+1. 

No debate here, but this is supported by my experience and listening tests as well. Buy a flexible and well made cable, and call it a day. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 24
I continue to search for evidence that there is sonical difference between silflex glass and plastic toslink. How is that possible that digital cable makes a difference? I have not found any evidence personally with USB cables: Wireworld USB vs. stock OEM one. Why would there be a difference sonically in Toslink? Can someone spend a paragraph and explain to me the Nyquist theory applied to sonic differences in Toslink... 

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 24
I purchased a 26' Lifatec Toslink to mini Toslink ( armored jacketing version) to connect my iMac to my Maverick Audio D1 DAC and it simply did not work at all. After a few emails with the company they explained they do have grounding issues with this version and told me it would not work with my setup but works with some others. I was issued a refund but I had to eat return shipping. I was told I would need to purchase the more expensive non armored version if I wanted it to work with my setup. I later received an email that upon inspection it did have a defect and they were working on fixing the issue. I felt like they should have sent me one that worked or took care of the shipping as it was a manufacture defect and they were aware this cable had complaints in the past and in fact would not work with all systems because of the ground from the metal armor. Unfortunately, I have no idea if it sounds good or not.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
I purchased a 26' Lifatec Toslink to mini Toslink ( armored jacketing version) to connect my iMac to my Maverick Audio D1 DAC and it simply did not work at all. After a few emails with the company they explained they do have grounding issues with this version and told me it would not work with my setup but works with some others. I was issued a refund but I had to eat return shipping. I was told I would need to purchase the more expensive non armored version if I wanted it to work with my setup. I later received an email that upon inspection it did have a defect and they were working on fixing the issue. I felt like they should have sent me one that worked or took care of the shipping as it was a manufacture defect and they were aware this cable had complaints in the past and in fact would not work with all systems because of the ground from the metal armor. Unfortunately, I have no idea if it sounds good or not.

I'm quite happy with my Silflex toslink cable. With that said what abysmal service they offered you. Clearly their cable was defected. Did they offer to reimburse you for the shipping. or a replacement cable?

Please keep us posted on whether or not they send you a "fixed"  armored jacketing toslink or a Brand New optisilk jacketing toslink.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #14 of 24
I thought is a bit strange as normally I would have been offered a replacement by most companies. I was not in this case and told this cable would not work with my setup. The only option they gave me was that I would need to send this one back for a refund and order the more expensive non armored version so the armor would not cause a grounding issue between the iMac and Maverick DAC.  Truthfully, I was put out a bit as I do not like taking chances with product if the company does not take care of return shipping with a known manufacturing or design issue.  I am not one to complain but they admitted they have had previous cases with this cable not working in all applications and causing a grounding issue with some equipment. Their website clearly states that the connectors are electrically isolated from jacketing but because of my experience looks like they may have issues with this one.  I am still in the market for a glass Toslink that will work with my imac and DAC and truly wanted that cable to work and hope they work the issue out as it looks like a nice product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back