Toslink adapter?
Jul 15, 2010 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ccbass

100+ Head-Fier
I want to use Toslink to go from my Macbook Pro to my DAC. 

The MBP uses a 3.5mm toslink and the DAC uses the standard plug.

Would a standard toslink to 3.5mm toslink adapter have any affect on the signal going though the cable if a cheaper adapter was used? 

Rather than using a 3.5mm to regular toslink cable?

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Damn.  I'd rather not order out of the US.  With customs bull and the like, I'd like to avoid all of the trouble.

Any other ideas for TERMINATED, not adapted, toslink-mini cables?

edit// 

Nothing too expensive, this means NO vdh octo, I'm already close to my limit.

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Damn.  I'd rather not order out of the US.  With customs bull and the like, I'd like to avoid all of the trouble.

edit// 

Try a WTB in the FS.

Jul 18, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 16
I would certainly avoid an adapter.
As all additional contact points have the potential of introducing an audible degrade of the signal. Pretty much the same regardless if it is light or electrical signal

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 16
I swear to the head-fi gods that there are no damn cable makers in the USA that supply toslink-mini cables. 

I understand that it requires using two different terminations, but COME ON, it's not that hard to use one over another

Quote:
I would certainly avoid an adapter.
As all additional contact points have the potential of introducing an audible degrade of the signal. Pretty much the same regardless if it is light or electrical signal

Shouldn't there be minimal if any signal loss?  It's not like doing a run of 4' vs 60'.  Is a adapter that spans less than 1/2" going to make that big of a deal?

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Shouldn't there be minimal if any signal loss?  It's not like doing a run of 4' vs 60'.  Is a adapter that spans less than 1/2" going to make that big of a deal?

Yeah. If it will have any effect on the signal is a bit hard to predict, and even if it does affect the signal it may not be audible to your ears.

Just like there may be an audible difference between different optical cables.

Jul 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
How about Monoprice?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

I have nothing against monoprice, but I thought I'd get something of better quality.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

edit// 

Nothing too expensive like VDH, nothing too cheap like Monoprice, buy the darn VDH and get over it!  It must be much less than the $100 or so in the US wherever you are located.  Northern NJ.....sounds like you are not at home?

Yes it will most definitely be better than most toslink cables.  Only one I found that betters it is made in the US.  

And FWIW, the cheap little adapter that is on it sounds better than the VDH mini to regular Toslink.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 16

PHOTONS ARE NOT ELECTRONS!  Everything you know about analog cables does not apply to optical cables.  This what you need to know about optical cables: they either work or they don't.  If you plug a cable in and a bright red light comes out the other end, you're good to go.  You just need to keep the connectors clean.  Blast the jacks with a can of air and keep them covered when not in use.

I have a couple of half-meter Toslink-to-minijack cables.  If you want one, PM me and I'll sell you one at a reasonable price.

Aug 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
This what you need to know about optical cables: they either work or they don't.  If you plug a cable in and a bright red light comes out the other end, you're good to go.  You just need to keep the connectors clean.  Blast the jacks with a can of air and keep them covered when not in use.

I have a couple of half-meter Toslink-to-minijack cables.  If you want one, PM me and I'll sell you one at a reasonable price.

One might think that it is a simple as that!.  So Bhatphink ..............I'd be glad to trade my $5 plastic  toslink cable for your Wireworld Glass Toslink!  

The original poster in this thread will be wondering why he ever believed the stuff he read here when he ACTUALLY listens to a few different toslink cables on a resolving system.

Its kind of like the sophomores who say dacs don't matter it's all bit perfect and 1 s and zeros, and players don't matter either they are all bit perfect....... so itunes sounds the same as everything else.

Oh, and why not suggest that MP3s at a high bit rate are indistinguishable from AIFF or WAV for vast majority of folks with most equipment.

Believing what most inexperienced folks write on this forum will lead you to a mediocre system at best.

Much better to believe nothing and find out with your own ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back