Toshiba satelite Vs Lenovo thinkpad - best headphone sound?
Mar 12, 2011 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hal55

Head-Fier
Within the next two weeks I need to buy a laptop to replace our home PC. Tasks will be pretty basic, ie downloading TV shows, music, web browsing and playing Youtube videos, usually using a pair of Sennheiser PX100s. Gaming and other PC intensive applications generally won't be an issue.
I realize there are many configurations of the above but generally a Core 2 with 3-4 gb of ram will be the minimum. If an I3 becomes available under the $500 Aust. ebay price all the better.
Both laptops are in use at the school where I work and the PC guys have basically said it's line ball although the Lenovo would be a bit sturdier. Since sound via headphones will be one of the more important criteria  (not an issue with the school techies) I'd appreciate any input on this, or indeed any other comment relating to these two.
The laptop will probably also be used on occasions as a music server into my home PC but my downloaded music collection is small and growing slowly - the variable quality of FLAC files (some excellent some anything but) doesn't inspire me to ditch the little silver frisbees quite yet.

Thanks,

Hal55

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #2 of 18
Most laptops have the same basic sound cards, so, chances are it won't be a huge difference - that said, the sound card on my thinkpad had a little more volume, and sound quality than my desktop integrated card, but it isn't quite a night and day thing - if you're worried about sound quality, get an external DAC. I'd still recommend the thinkpad, on the basis that they're good reliable bits of kit, and i'm a bit of a fanboy ;p

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 18
Without giving us actual models' references, this thread is pretty meaningless. Which thinkpad model do you have in mind, which Toshiba ? Once you have your eyes set on one model, you might also ask on forum.notebookreview.com

The T and X thinkpads series are much more robust than the satelite line from Toshiba. The SL, L and edge Thinkpad series only a bit more.

Consider also refurbished models from the Lenovo Outlet. There are very good deals at times.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 18
Well, I'd say the "Conexant 20585 SmartAudio HD" on my T510 is actually pretty good, although it's extremely underpowered.  It has trouble with Grados even.  But amp'd it's rather high quality.

But like others have said, do not buy a laptop for its audio quality...  Although I'd get the Thinkpad, of course.

It'd be better to get whichever one you like and add a budget DAC/amp if you're that worried about it.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 18
If you want any specific model recommendation then please tell us what size you want, whether you need a discrete video card or not and so on.
I have had 11 different ThinkPads and have a lot of experience servicing ThinkPads in general so I know the models inside out.

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 18
Point taken, I didn't quote precise models as they change almost weekly on Ebay and my wife hadn't yet actually ordered the large format printer that will rsult in our home PC becoming a dedicated office machine. Since she has in fact now ordered the printer I can be a bit more specific.
A typical example of the lenovo is a Pentium Dual Core 2.1GHz 320G 15" Windows  7. Full listing is at

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Lenovo-Pentium-Dual-Core-2-1GHz-320G-15-Windows-7-/160554504098?pt=AU_comp_laptop&hash=item2561cb4fa2 

A typical toshiba is a Satellite Pro C650 Dual core 2.1Ghz 2gb 250gb Full listing at

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toshiba-Satellite-Pro-C650-Dual-Core-15-6-4GB-250GB-/330532336225?pt=AU_comp_laptop&hash=item4cf5433261 

The Lenovo specification has improved even since I posted the query and with 4gb of ram now and only $49 to upgrade to the 500gb model it looks the better proposition. The three USB  against the two of the Toshiba is also signicant but as a totally non technical person I would have no idea which is better once past the "headline" features. The headphone output on our Acer desktop I found of good enough quality for casual listening to Youtube music videos although it did suffer a little bit of "warbling and whistling" through the headphones. Whichever laptop I get I'd like to be at least equal to the Acer and a quieter background would be much preferred.

I have a pretty nice home stereo setup and JVC, Sennheiser, Jecklin and Audio Technica headphones at different price points running off both a Little Dot Mk111 and a Tim De Paravicini designed headphone amp of 80s vintage but still extremely good sound quality.
Computer audio off the net is good fun but it won't replace my more traditional sources, so although I'm after good sound straight from the laptop it doesn't have to be top notch - fun and enjoyable without obvious limitation will be fine.

Thanks and any other comments to help with the decision or what to look out for most appeciated,

Hal55

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 18
The Lenovo you link to there is not a ThinkPad.
The regular consumer Lenovo notebooks is nothing special, they have glossy screens, no trackpoint or anything interesting really, you might as well get the Toshiba.

Here is a T400 it should be much more interesting:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Look-New-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T400-2-53GH-160G-4G-WARRANTY-/180638379753?pt=AU_comp_laptop&hash=item2a0ee2eee9

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 18
Yes, go for an actual ThinkPad.  Consumer Lenovos are, as Adda says, nothing special.  The low end ThinkPads (Edge, SL, and X100) are, however, still a cut above normal consumer laptops in overall quality - as are last generation models.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Actually, I would get a G550 before getting a Thinkpad edge. Buildwise, the g550 is roughly at the same level as the SL-serie and the edge 15" are worse than either.

That T400 is indeed much better. Pretty good deal.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks for all the input. I'm a hifi and music nut but as you can see I'm obviously not a computer nut. Before posting this I had no idea the lenovo's I was looking at on the net were totally different to the solid little bricks (thinkpads) that are dotted around the school. The g550s are in the right price range - any input if they are good sounding little devices by laptop standards?

Hal55

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Actually, I would get a G550 before getting a Thinkpad edge. Buildwise, the g550 is roughly at the same level as the SL-serie and the edge 15" are worse than either.

That T400 is indeed much better. Pretty good deal.

See, no TrackPoint = deal breaker to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back