Toshiba HD-A1/HD-XA1 as high end CD player for $100-130
Jul 2, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #32 of 34
I have the XA2 which is a phenonomenal DVD player -- best I've ever seen -- and the sound from CD's is quite exceptional (better than my old OPPO). BUT, it is a terrible reader, the OPPO is much more reliable in that regard. So good as it is I'm copying everything I've got to FLAC format and going to a computer based system and will ulitimately use it only for DVD playback. Quality control my make some better than others so YMMV.

Jeff

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #33 of 34
I knew I shouldn't have read this thread
redface.gif
I bought a refurb (HD-XA1) yesterday for $112.00. Should be getting it next week. Sheese, my wallet had just come out of hiding.

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #34 of 34
Got my HD-XA1 yesterday. I was planning on just using it for audio but decided to hook it up fully and check out the video capabilities it offers. Replacing my HD-A2 temporarily. HA! After viewing some of my 50 hd-dvd titles, I'm afraid my A2 will serve as a backup from now on. The XA1 is superior to the A2 in every way and the A2 is a very good player. I noticed a little grain in "Transformers" with the A2. Gone with the XA1. Blacks are superior. Colors are superior. Detail is finely etched and superior to the A2. The audio is superb and the 5.1 analog output really really shines. The player had firmware version 2.4 installed and I'm leaving well enough alone for now. I hear v 3.0 is available. It's a Toshiba refurb and came with the remote and power cord and what looks to be a new manual. Was missing a hdmi cable but for what I paid for it ($112.00) I am definitely not complaining. Even has Toshiba's 90 day warranty. I couldn't be happier with it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back