Toshiba HD-A1/HD-XA1 as high end CD player for $100-130
Feb 4, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #17 of 34
Probably stupid question but how does the Toshiba HD-EP10 compares to the Toshiba HD-A1/HD-XA1?
Just got the HD-EP10 because at 150 € it was a superbargain in Euroland (Belgium) -_-

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #19 of 34
I never tried to play CDs through my HD-XA1 so I'll have to try it. I use my PC and Ipod to listen to music now so I hardly get out a CD anymore. Mine has a horrible time playing anything that is scratched though so we'll see.

Feb 8, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #22 of 34
I have a Toshiba HDA2 ($99 walmart deal) and if the fan noise from the a1 is similar this unit can not be considered even midfi for music. The fan noise can be heard easily from my sitting position 9 ft away. louder than my amps fans.

Feb 9, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But how does the Toshiba compare to the Oppo 980? A new 980 is just a few dollars more and it plays DVD-A/SACD and HDCD.

I could care less about the extra formats, I'm just curious how it compares with Redbook audio compared with my OPPO.
Very tempted, only 230 on Deepdiscount

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #26 of 34
I just wanted to warn people off of this player...

I ordered one without doing much research and starting reading, after the fact, about it's many problems.

I purchased the unit from refurb depot and received it yesterday. I listened to two discs before it stopped reading them altogether. So basically I got to pay to have this piece of crap shipped to me, listen to two discs, and then pay to ship it back plus a 15% restocking fee!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

In the end it shows that you should go with a proven unit, like the Oppo or similar.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #27 of 34
If anybody is interested I have an A1 I would let go for $100. One of the good things about the A1 is it has 5.1 analog outs so you can get Tru HD sound without having an HDMI receiver. I want a newer model. I bought this unit brand new from Best Buy about a year ago. I have only watched HD movies on it.

James

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #28 of 34
I recently got a refurb XA1 which, knocking on wood, seems to be working fine.

I won't comment on its performance as DVD player since I haven't even got an HD TV set, nor on the build quality and the appearance of the XA1 (both top-notch). It's the audio part which I found remarkable.
After a couple of days of burn-in, I compared the XA1 used as a transport feeding the Meier Opera DAC, and used as a CD player feeding the Opera headamp. The Opera DAC is better in imaging: the strings of an orchestra are better layered and the soundstage is somewhat wider. OTH the XA1 DAC is at least as good as the Opera's when it comes to vocal music. Particularly male voices feel just right with the XA1. In general the tonal balance the XA1 seems to be very natural, except, perhaps, for a slight roll-off of the highs.

At the prices it is selling for these days (around $100), the XA1 is a real bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back