Toshiba Gigabeat S vs. Creative Zen Vision:M
Aug 31, 2006 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Dr. S

New Head-Fier
While my 1st generation 15gb Dell DJ still works, it's kind of bland and acts a little funny sometimes, and I think either of these would be a tremendous upgrade. Which of these would be the better buy? They're both about the same price. Which has better sound quality? I like the look of the controls on the Gigabeat a bit better, and I like the fact that it has dedicated controls, which the Vision doesn't, but the reviews suggest that the gigabeat's dedicated controls are kind of clunky. I really like the look of the Gigabeat's navigation, menus, and so forth, and it looks like you can look through all tracks in a playlist while listening, thanks to the dedicated controls, which you can't do on an iPod, and I assume you can't do on the Vision because of the touch pad thing. My main concern with the Gigabeat is the battery life, which seems pretty inconsistent, although the Zen doesn't seem to be a lot better in that respect. Also, I've read some things that said the Vision no longer ships with an AC charger, but some places say it still does, and I'm not sure what to believe. Can someone help me there? Finally, does either have a shuffle albums setting?

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 18
The battery life on the Gigabeat is shorter than the Zen Vision:M's. I can't really say much else.

Tips, though... If you're going with the Zen Vision:M, wait until the 60GB model is out and see if you can catch a price cut.

If you're going with the Gigabeat, wait until the Microsoft Zune is out... then you could get the Zune instead or catch a price cut on the Gigabeat.

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 18
Hi Dr. S,

I can't compare the two units as I haven't used the ZVM, but I can comment on the gigabeat.

I've probably read some of the same reviews and I really don't know why anyone would have a problem with the gig's buttons. First, once you know which button is which (requires about 4 seconds of concentration) you can easily use them without looking at the unit.

You can do pretty much anything on the unit when the music is playing including viewing photos.

I've never personally liked the touch sensitive controls of the iPod or ZVM. I think the gig's cross is easier to use, especially when you only want to move between one or two songs in your library. For large scrolls you simply hold down the cross. Very simple and easy to use.

Battery life for me has never been an issue. Twelve hours for audio and 3 to 3.5 for video meets my own needs.

Finally, yes, the gig does a shuffle setting, but only for songs in an album, not for albums in your library if that is what you are asking about.

I certainly recommend the gig. I like mine a lot, but just as the iPod is not for everyone, neither is the gigabeat.

Oh, and one more final thought... The gig is definitely way sexier than the ZVM, which is why I bought it of course!
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 18
I have the ZVM. I personally think it lacks a bit of bass in the sound, although the bass boost helps a bit. It really is a well-thought out player, easy to navigate, and an amazing vibrant screen. haven't tried the gigabeat, but Zune is comming out, and is made by Toshiba, so it will probably be like the gigabeat with improvements...might wanna wait for that insted.

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by patschreyer
The battery life on the Gigabeat is shorter than the Zen Vision:M's. I can't really say much else.

Tips, though... If you're going with the Zen Vision:M, wait until the 60GB model is out and see if you can catch a price cut.

If you're going with the Gigabeat, wait until the Microsoft Zune is out... then you could get the Zune instead or catch a price cut on the Gigabeat.

When is the 60gb coming out?

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 18
Cool, thanks. I think I'm decided on the Creative. The Gigabeat seems to have the best interface of any player, but the Creative looks better in pretty much every other way. 60gb is more than I need at this point, and will probably cost more than I want to spend. Can I count on a drop in the price of the 30gb version when the 60 comes out, or should I just go ahead and buy one now?

Sep 1, 2006 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 18
^ I don't think you'll be dissapointed, its a fantastic player, the best all rounded player on the market imo

Sep 5, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 18
I bought a Zen a couple weeks ago, and I absolutely love the little thing. Great battery life, very user friendly, beautiful screen, the list goes on. It's also very receptive to different formats, which is the reason I chose it over the iPod. I don't know anything about the Toshiba, but I can say that if you choose the Zen, you will not be disappointed.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaBoLoUsRmX
the gibabeat looks like a real winner. we need some serious audio quality impressions around here...

Here is an except from Anything But iPod at http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...s60-review.php --

"The quality of audio will suffice for your average user that will be using stock earbuds, but will fail to win over an audiophile. Compared to many other MP3 players, I found this player to be rather average. The highs are a bit exaggerated and the lows are a bit weak. But what is most disappointing is the lack of a custom 5-Band EQ, because you could at least tweak the “average sound” to something a little better. There are EQ presets, but they can only take the music so far."

I would hope for better with Zune this fall.

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by derek8555
Also keep in mind, the ZVM is very bright sounding, something that I do not appreciate when listening to vocals or rock. It makes all the guitar plays sound thin and bodyless.

I really hate overly bright music. I have two Zen Micros that are pretty warm to neutral I think with the Senn PX 100s (old style.) I had a 30 gig iPod for about a day that had to go back to Best Buy because my PC locked up when transfering photos but in the brief time that I had it I felt the sound was light in the bass in absolute terms but neutral in the mids and highs which is something that I could have lived with. Thanks for the tip though.

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Hunter
Here is an except from Anything But iPod at http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...s60-review.php --

"The quality of audio will suffice for your average user that will be using stock earbuds, but will fail to win over an audiophile. Compared to many other MP3 players, I found this player to be rather average. The highs are a bit exaggerated and the lows are a bit weak. But what is most disappointing is the lack of a custom 5-Band EQ, because you could at least tweak the “average sound” to something a little better. There are EQ presets, but they can only take the music so far."

I would hope for better with Zune this fall.

couldn't they say the same thing for ipod as well? if anyone has experience with all three daps, ipod, gigabeat s, and zvm, what would be the ranking in terms of sq?

btw, the pics that i found of zune doesn't look too sexy. it looks kinda like like the 1st gen ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back