Toshiba Gigabeat S vs. Creative Zen Vision:M
Sep 10, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Rockbox is currently being ported to the Toshiba Gigabeat as well

Looks like those are the older versions of the gigabeat and not the new gigabeat S with Portable Media Center, unfortunately.

Quote:

couldn't they say the same thing for ipod as well? if anyone has experience with all three daps, ipod, gigabeat s, and zvm, what would be the ranking in terms of sq?

I certainly think so. Like I said earlier, I don't have experience with the ZVM, so I can't comment on its SQ. However, I would definitely put the gigabeat ahead of the iPod (5G anyway). I think the only true way to compare them would be in blind listening tests of the same music, ripped at the same bitrate, evaluated by a number of people. Anyone up for it?
blink.gif

Sep 10, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Hunter
Here is an except from Anything But iPod at http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...s60-review.php --

"The quality of audio will suffice for your average user that will be using stock earbuds, but will fail to win over an audiophile. Compared to many other MP3 players, I found this player to be rather average. The highs are a bit exaggerated and the lows are a bit weak. But what is most disappointing is the lack of a custom 5-Band EQ, because you could at least tweak the “average sound” to something a little better. There are EQ presets, but they can only take the music so far."

I would hope for better with Zune this fall.

Thanks for the info, I also look for Zune this fall but currently my 5g Rockbox is doing me mightly fine. Rockbox makes life more exciting haha

Sep 11, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norman Hunter
I really hate overly bright music. I have two Zen Micros that are pretty warm to neutral I think with the Senn PX 100s (old style.) I had a 30 gig iPod for about a day that had to go back to Best Buy because my PC locked up when transfering photos but in the brief time that I had it I felt the sound was light in the bass in absolute terms but neutral in the mids and highs which is something that I could have lived with. Thanks for the tip though.

Ya, I had Zen Micro and Zen MicroPhoto before ZVM, and they sound nothing like ZVM. Too bad ZVM is too bright, I might return it and get a 5g ipod in the end...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back