Toshiba 3950 power supply mods (with pics)
Jun 18, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #91 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by CBMC
where did you get those heatsinks?

Guess you didn't read the posting previous to yours
biggrin.gif
Here's a direct link to the part in Digi-key:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...266311&Site=US

Jun 18, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #92 of 353
man, i'd love to hear that thing.

i am too lazy to backtrack, so about how much have you spent on the mods so far?

Jun 18, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #94 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by h3nG
i am too lazy to backtrack, so about how much have you spent on the mods so far?

Would need to add the totals of the part orders. Roughly speaking, first round of the Vinnie mods for the parts needed for the power supply and audio board were less than $40 including the blackgates. Second round with the Brown dog + OPA627's was slightly more than that, + the power cord. In total for all these mods, less than $100 in parts.

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:25 AM Post #97 of 353
One last question. Can the same mods be made on the SD-3960 and the 3950? I noticed that Toshiba had discontinued the 3950. Let me know if anyone has tried this with the 3960.

Jun 19, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #98 of 353
Actually not sure, would suggest check the postings on Audioasylum's Digital drive section: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/bbs.html, and do a search on the 3960 mods. The swenson mods apply equally to both, but for the Vinnie mods I'm really not sure if the audio boards are completely identical, or there might be minor differences requiring some differences in some capacitor values.

Jun 20, 2004 at 7:49 AM Post #99 of 353
Did all the mods in this thread except the brown dog adapter (didn't want to try my luck again). The differences are definitely there, but I wish there were some comparisons done to other players as to just how good it is. It's definitely showing me the limits of my Meta42 though, and that hasn't happened before.

Jun 23, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #100 of 353
Just finished replacing the power cords on my Sacdmodded Sony NS500V, and also my Marantz SR4000 receiver. These two had the power cord holes slightly bigger than the diameter of this new cord, so I added some extra padding and fasteners, might improve that part later in the future. Here the Toshiba on top, under it the Sony, and at the bottom the Marantz:
1582m05.JPG

With respect to the Sony, I checked with Matthew and he told me the warranty on the Sacdmods of the Sony player is still perfectly valid after this change, given that I was not changing anything on his mods or the audio board/power supply circuits.

The plugs I used for these two PC's were bright yellow heavy duty/commercial Leviton's Grounding Nylon Plugs ($4 each at Walmart). Here the new power cord plug of the Marantz connected to an ultimate outlet:
1582m06.JPG

[edit]Rehosting pics[/edit]

Jun 25, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #101 of 353
Great job on the mods. I am curious, how does the modified power cable affect the sound? Do you use any sort of power conditioning? And lastly, where do you get those spiffy RF filters?

Jun 25, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #102 of 353
Well this cable has thicker gauge (14), but how that results in the final sound is hard to tell.

Edited: actually audio-quality wise it is not better to have the AC ground connected to the chassis in this player, see this posting further down. AC ground lead in the powercord is disconnected from the chassis to avoid ground loops.

The stock cable has thinner insulation, this new powercord is not magnetically shielded either, but the insulation is way thicker than the stock for each wire, and then there's the thick orange jacket. Chose it because it was recommended by TAS to be used as speaker cable and power cord. The cable is surprisingly very flexible despite its thickness. How it might improve the sound not sure, but I guess slightly cleaner power.

The RFI filters I got long ago from www.digikey.com, you can find them in their catalog looking for "ferrite beads".

Jun 25, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #104 of 353
Mine are the cylindrical clamp-on Ferrite beads manufacturered by Steward, Digikey part # is 240-2066-ND. I actually got a bunch of them after reading this article a few years ago, the link still works:
http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize200009.htm

PS. Hey nice Tintin avatar. Standard Headfi welcome required since that was your first post, so: Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back