Toshiba 3950 power supply mods (with pics)
Jun 26, 2004 at 9:29 AM Post #106 of 353
Does anyone know what the 300 caps are far on the audio board. Basically the only ones that Rossi did not recommed to upgrade. Their value is 22uf, i believe. I wonder if changing these out would help anything.

I also wondered how you installed those .47 noise filter caps. Did you just jam the leads in the same holes as the caps that where already in 801 and 802?

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #110 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by CBMC
What did you use to dampen the clock?

I used some white tack that I got from Home Depot. I've realized there are many such "tacks". Have also seen a "yellow tack" (sold with that name), and of course the audio favorite "blue tack". All of them and rope caulk should work similarly well for dampening the clock.

Quote:

I also wondered how you installed those .47 noise filter caps.

For the .47 uf capacitors in the power supply, they couldn't be jammed right away together with the legs of the stock blue caps, not enough room, two of those legs are too thick for one hole in the board. I had to use a dremel tool to file those legs down slightly, so that their diameters became smaller, after that they would fit together in a hole. See this posting

Jul 3, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #111 of 353
I just decided to solder the .47 capacitors to the leads of the capacitors that were already there. Saved me time using the dremel(although it was a bit hard to solder the two capacitors together).

Jul 6, 2004 at 10:56 AM Post #113 of 353
First of all....thanks to ALL who have made this a big intro into electronics for me !!!!

I have all parts relating to RSAAVEDRA and ITZBITZ, but noticed very little talk on replacing the standars RCA connectors. I know that the connectors are all soldered in, together as one big group of RCA's. Has anybody replaced them with Cardas or any other brand ? I only use this for 2 channel, so would consider removing the whold group and just adding on decent RCA connectors. Your thoughts on this ?

There are some slight differences between the 3950 and 3960. Apart from the 3960 being all plastic, the PCB parts layouts are slightly different. The Power Supply PCB has the fuse sitting right next to one of the parts that needs replacing, not a big issue. Once I have finished adding the opamps I would be glad to take pics and upload for those that are interested.

Jul 6, 2004 at 4:00 PM Post #114 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neville
I have all parts relating to RSAAVEDRA and ITZBITZ, but noticed very little talk on replacing the standars RCA connectors. I know that the connectors are all soldered in, together as one big group of RCA's. Has anybody replaced them with Cardas or any other brand ? I only use this for 2 channel, so would consider removing the whold group and just adding on decent RCA connectors. Your thoughts on this ?

Last step in the Vinnie Rossi mods is to install separate cardas RCA outs, so Rossi for sure did that. Also the Swenson mods involve installing new separate RCA outs. I thought about it but didn't do that part. Guru (gsferrari) also asked me if I considered that. It might involve removing the whole group of outs as you indicate, or branching out from somewhere in the board to the new outs, having the stock ones in parallel, which didn't seem too good an idea for me. Also I still wanted the video for entering setup options, and after the mods it sounded great with the stock outs, so decided to skip that part of the mods altogether.

Quote:

There are some slight differences between the 3950 and 3960. Apart from the 3960 being all plastic, the PCB parts layouts are slightly different. The Power Supply PCB has the fuse sitting right next to one of the parts that needs replacing, not a big issue.

Some people in Audioasylum claim the stock 3960 usually sounded slightly better than the stock 3950. When modded, however, they both became the same other much better sounding animal. I got the 3950 because that's what the local Best Buy had when I went looking for them.

Speaking of the fuse, there are recommendations to replace the stock fuse with a ceramic one, allegedly with sound improvements. I didn't read about that when placing my lattest Digi-key order, so haven't done it. But also, I really don't think a fuse replacement in the power supply can change the sound much, given the other major modifications in the power supply and the audio board.

Quote:

Once I have finished adding the opamps I would be glad to take pics and upload for those that are interested.

Yes pics are always welcome. Good luck!

Jul 6, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #115 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neville

I e-mailed Vinnie, he just wired the cardas jacks in parallel with the existing left/right jacks. I noticed also that there is 3 community grounds going to all the jack inputs on the board(these are the three solder joints closest to the edge of the board). To find the positive right/left inputs just use a continuity meter.

Unfortunately I have not found a way to use the pre-existing holes with the cardas jacks. First off, they are too big. They will fit in the hole but the nut intrudes with the hole next to it. I am still working on a way to get this to work. I think I am going to take out the whole jack input case and try to add the inputs individually. I will let you know the results which I hope will be today. I have everything done except the blackgates. I placed my order from partsconnexion on June 22nd and still have not received it. Hopefully I will today.

Jul 6, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #116 of 353
Quote:

Unfortunately I have not found a way to use the pre-existing holes with the cardas jacks. First off, they are too big. They will fit in the hole but the nut intrudes with the hole next to it. I am still working on a way to get this to work. I think I am going to take out the whole jack input case and try to add the inputs individually. I will let you know the results which I hope will be today.

Have not seen anyone installing new cardas outs using the stock placement for the audio outs. I've read of new cardas outs installed closer to the center of the back of the player, e.g. not using the pre-existing holes but the area available next to it, which would require some drilling of the back panel. People doing the swenson mods have placed the capacitors in an external box attached to the back of the player, and then new cardas outs installed on that extra little box. In any case good luck and yes please let us know how it goes!

Jul 6, 2004 at 7:38 PM Post #117 of 353
I fear that the only way that I could get the cardas to go into the existing holes is to remove some of the other inputs, which I really don't want to do. What I am going to do is try the stock jacks. Then try adding the cardas jacks in parallel to the stock jacks. I will see if there is a noticeable difference in sound. I am a little worried that wiring two jacks in parallel will actually diminish the sound quality.

I will definitely post some pictures once I get everything done.

Jul 7, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #118 of 353
wee, finished my swenson mods. RCA jacks mounted onto Audiophile compressed cellulose fiber with pleasant brown hue.

Swenson_Mods.jpg

Jul 7, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #119 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by gastro54
wee, finished my swenson mods. RCA jacks mounted onto Audiophile compressed cellulose fiber with pleasant brown hue.

LOL!!! I couldn't help noticing that your assembly is resting on top of what appears to be Audiophile uncompressed cotton or polyester fiber with pleasant bluish/purple hue, very nice dampening and insulation :wink:

How do you like the Swenson mods btw?

Jul 7, 2004 at 6:12 AM Post #120 of 353
I haven't tested my swenson mod yet,
frown.gif
its late too late and people are sleeping to play my speakers. I sold my meta42 and am about to build a ppa and probably buy a pair of CD3Ks. I will finish building my diy woofers tommorow and my woofer amp will arrive tommorow too so I will be able to give a nice review then
3000smile.gif
:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back