Toshiba 3950 Hillarious posting on Audioasylum
Mar 30, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
They aren't joking. However, the sand absolutely has to come from a particular stretch of beach on the west coast of Africa, or the sonics just won't be right. The cost of importing the sand raises the US price a great deal.

very_evil_smiley.gif

I think the sand from my local beach offers more bang for the buck
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Heh. I was in Best Buy today and they had an open box unit for $50. I couldn't help myself...
tongue.gif

[size=xx-small]Where did they say to put the sandbags? [/size]

Hah! No kidding. Let us know what you think!

Mar 30, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

They aren't joking. However, the sand absolutely has to come from a particular stretch of beach on the west coast of Africa.

I thought was Florida, in particular Pensacola, where beaches have the whitest sands that look almost like snow. But believe me, it's still very difficult to find audiophile quality sands among these. I have considered opening a business charging a very modest sum per pound of Pensacola audiophile sand, price would be competitive with the price of infamous wooden knob, + shipping
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
I thought was Florida, in particular Pensacola, where beaches have the whitest sands that look almost like snow.

No, no, no! Absolutely not! If you use Florida sand, the sound becomes......grainy
tongue.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #21 of 25
Everyone knows you'll get a veiled sound from Florida sound. Best sound, IMHO, comes from using the black, volcanic sand found only in Hawaii. If you've never tried that sand before, you don't know how much of a veil will be lifted.. it's like the difference between a picture of the Grand Canyon and driving there
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by gradofan
Everyone knows you'll get a veiled sound from Florida sound.

I'm starting to believe this. Went out the beach with my portable cdp at hand and my grado sr60's, and looked for people randomly so that they would listen to my headphones. I had sprinkled some Pensacola FL sand on my pcdp, but they had no idea about this. I picked one person randomly, it happened to be a girl that was getting married right there. She had her nice white dress and flowers, and a veil on her pretty face. I put my SR60's on her head and asked her how she found the sound. She said "veiled". I then randomly picked another person. It was a middle eastern woman, she had her nice typical dress, face covered with a veil etc. I asked her how the sound was, and behind her veil she said "kind of veiled". So I quit. No need for further proof, I've almost scientifically proven, FL sands ---> veiled sound.
frown.gif
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Hah! No kidding. Let us know what you think!

I finally got around to plugging the thing in and trying it. In stock form, it's not bad. Better redbook than Sony NS500V (OK, that's not a really high standard
tongue.gif
) I may actually have to try some of the mods on this thing. Open up the highs a bit, firm up the definition, and it could be really nice. It's got something to work with, in that the tonality of the midrange is very good. Without that, it wouldn't be worth the trouble. With that present, I can see why people are trying mods on these.

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 25
Cute post. I don't know about hysterical though.

Hirsch--my findings were similar. I sold my little brothers NS500V the day we picked up our first Toshiba and he now uses it in his headphone rig. Sitting on Aurios with a heavy book on top and wearing a CDi Statmat it was quite a nice little rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back