Toronto meet on November 20th!
Nov 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

FallenAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

The date is set, the venue is booked, now all we need is the guests!  The venue is the large party room at my condo at Yonge/Finch.  The date is November 20 12pm - 6pm.  I can only book the party room for 6 hours, so lets try to get started around noon.

This will be a BYOB event, but bear in mind that this is a HEADPHONE meet with quite a bit of equipment.  I have not had any problems with having a small bar at the meets before, I hope that this trend will continue.  There will be a small bar that we will set up away from the main tables.  You're welcome to bring any drinks you would like, I will have a bottle of Chivas Regal 12 year old scotch and another of The Glenlivet 12 year old.  Any other patrons of whiskey/scotch/tequila/absinthe/etc are welcome to bring something for us to taste as well, it would be very much appreciated. :)  As a general rule regarding drinks, obviously don't create any possibility of having it spill - it's in your hand or it's on the bar, not on a table beside the equipment.

There is no strict entrance fee, but I will be holding a raffle at $5/ticket for a DIY build of mine - a USB AlienDAC, please participate for at least 1 ticket to help cover the costs of organizing this meet and maybe you'll win.  ujamerstand has also volunteered to build a pair of RCA cables to be raffled off, which is much appreciated. :)

As always, bring power bars - there are never enough!  Expect to not have too much table space, but we'll do the best we can (first time hosting in this place).

If anybody is a photographer, it would be great to bring a camera and take photos, always fun! :)

Please reply if you can make it, it would be great to see everybody there.  Please mention what gear you'd like to bring and I'll have a list here.

NOTICE: This is a privately organized headphone meet.  There will be security at the door, you will have to sign in with building security - they have the Head-Fi username list for this event.  They'll will check off your name, tell you where the Party Room is, and I'll have a name tag for you here. :)

Guest / Gear List

FallenAngel : Laptop -> NEED DAC -> Dynahi -> Joe Grado HP-2
CharlieX : Some crazy amount of goodies!  Please bring the W10JPN and LCD2.
Darksyde : iPod -> RSA Mustang
darthsilverice
DNT
evulfuson : Laptop -> uDac > Alessandro MS1i & AD700
Zida + 1: Headroom Micro Dac / Yulong D100 / Meier Corda Headfive -> ANC7 / K701 / DT880/250 / DT990/250 / HD650 / Moded D2000
ujamerstand : eXStatA -> SR-507 & HE5
omendelovitz : 840C -> KICAS -> Moded D5000
Big B : Music streamer 2+ -> Earmax Amp -> HD650
twilightrevenant
alucard- : Laptop -> Audio-GD Compass -> HD600
pbalcer : DacMagic -> DIY tube amp -> a bunch of headphones (K701, HD650, DT990, W5000, maybe other...)
Djarum : Laptop -> Perfectwave / Havana / E-MU
lightningfast35 : Laptop / iMod 4G -> AE0-2 -> HD650 / ER4P
Exer : Macbook -> NuForce HDP -> Caliente -> Beyerdynamic T1 (maybe)
Bandara : Stanton Dynaphase 50 / Sennheiser HD420
Canuck57 : LD MK VI+ -> DX1000 / Darths Deep V3 / HE5 / T1 / CD3000
Monoglycer : laptop -> IEMs & ATH-ES7
azncookiecutter : Laptop -> DACMagic -> KICAS, D5000 / DT770/600 / DT880/32
mrpham
ohungry
d.n.d. + 1 : Hornet M / SR71 -> D1001 / SR80i

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 86
I'm in!  Send out reminders with location/time details later next week.
Any specific gear ya want me to bring cause I don't think I can bring it all.
Bryan

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 86
Thank you, FallenAngel!  I'll definitely see you there
biggrin.gif

Charliex, I personally want to hear the HF1s (and any of the rare/older Grados), AKG K-1000s, the LCD2s, and the flagship Stax!  If you bring the HF2s, I'll have no reason to bring mine, so I could try to share my dad's MS Pros instead (unless someone else has that covered).  My Mustang and iPod will also be in attendance
biggrin.gif

I very excite!

Nov 8, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 86
I can bring any of the following:

Headroom Micro Dac
Yulong D100
Meier Corda Headfive

Audio Technica ANC7 (if anyone is curious about active noise canceling headphones for use on the go... I might bring them anyhow for my commute)
AKG K701
DT880 (250 ohm)
DT990 (250 ohm)
HD650 (just got these)
Denon D2000 with D5000 cups attached (so, effectively a d5000... these are just now in the mail to me, but I should have them by the meet)

The amount of mid-fi gear I've collected since january is disgusting.

I can also bring my laptop with foobar and wasapi streaming set up to use as a source.

Charliex, the more stuff you manage to bring the more excited I'm going to be
duggehsmile.png

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 86
It's been too long since I've been to a meet, and the wife's ok'd me, so I'm in.  I'll bring my OD5000's (MD5000's, self-modded), a KICAS and Caliente, and my CA 840C.  I'll try to see if Peter will loan us his D7000's and maybe his DT990's.  Maybe he'll even come!

I'm not rushing to bring my D2 or my IEM's, as there should be lot's there.  But, if anyone is particularly interested in them (see my sig, plus I have some Denon IEM's - don't know the model, the ones that MSRP for $150) then I'll bite.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 86
So far it's looking great!  I've taken a look at the room, we can easily fit 20, with enough tables and outlets to be comfortable.

Looking at gear list so far, looks like we'd be a little low on sources, so if people can bring a couple that would be great.  I won't have a new DAC finished by the meet, so if somebody has a DAC with USB input and unbalanced output that they can lend me for the duration of the meet, it would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 86
This would be the first time for a head-fi meet for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I could bring the opus DAC with usb input in a cardboard box. If anyone is interested in hearing the stax sr-507 I could bring that as well. But I'll need an amp for it, unless the panels for my exstata come in time, and I have some time to clean up the wiring, I don't think it'll be ready for a meet environment... I could also bring the HE-5 and yamaha hp-1.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 86
phew.
Thought it was originally going to be the 9th.
Would be very interested in going.  Will try my best to make it.
Will bring (if i make it):
Eternas v2
JVC DX-3 (going to need to borrow amp)

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 86
YESS local meet! so glad head-fi has those newsletter emails or i would have totally missed this. i am definitely coming, and a friend might be tagging along.

as for equipment, for now it will be my denon D1001s, grado SR80is, and my hornet M and original SR71. i MIGHT bring my M^3/s11 if i am up for lugging it around, but that is a tough call.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 86
No need to feel embarrassed about any gear, there are usually at least a few people who don't bring any and want to just sample others!  I barely even listen to the gear at meets anymore, unless it's something custom and crazy, just like chatting with people in the hobby, sharing information and generally having a good time.

d.n.d. : Bring the M3, always a great amp to have at a meet ujamerstand : I'd definitely love to have your OPUS hooked up to my Dynahi for the meet if you don't mind.
HE-5 are cool too, and the HP-1 are  certainly interesting (I've owned YH-1 before).

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #15 of 86
If possible, I will try to look for my SRM1 mkII to complement it if you don't mind. Just got back to Canada so things are all over the place. >"< Unless somebody offers to bring a BHSE and I will go crazy. ^^

Darksyde: Can you please bring your hm-602 (if you still have it)? I'm so curious about the DAP 'cause of all the talks in recent months. Thanks.

Quote:
This would be the first time for a head-fi meet for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I could bring the opus DAC with usb input in a cardboard box. If anyone is interested in hearing the stax sr-507 I could bring that as well. But I'll need an amp for it, unless the panels for my exstata come in time, and I have some time to clean up the wiring, I don't think it'll be ready for a meet environment... I could also bring the HE-5 and yamaha hp-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back