Tor Audio Headphone Amps.
Apr 3, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #122 of 209
There certainly must be something wrong with the tubes as the Tor Balanced is dead silent for me (whereas others like the Pendant OG had audible hum on the high Z output, and the Feliks Echo had static noise interference around Wi-Fi/ phone reception).
Just decided to check in with this thread about noise or interference with the Tor balanced. I do hear some kind of interference. I don't think it's noise from power, but I'm no expert. its not a constant hum or buzz like you get on speakers of subwoofers. it sounds more like radio interference, maybe wifi related or phone reception. I hear it when I connected but even with volume turned to zero...

but wait...

as I type this I've just switched DACs from the VMV D1SE to the Denafrips Ares II and the noise has miraculously vanished.

So maybe the problem is this pairing. I'll have to experiment further but I guess it's worth noting that the DAC could be the problem.

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #123 of 209
Thinking I need one of these in my life!!

Some Q's though, for you experts... (I am a certified novice - sort of!)
Can't afford the balanced, so that's out. Between the Roger and Nick...

1. The Roger goes to 125Khz, the Nick goes to 115Khz. Am I actually likely to notice any difference with the higher freq response over the lower? - given that I am 46 and my ears aren't what they used to be.
2. Is there a huge difference in using a rectifier tube amp (Roger) over one that doesn't. What differences are there in laymans terms?
3. I'm not looking for a clinical sound (obviously; they're both tube), but the warmest/tubiest sound. Would the rectifier version be more likely to offer this? Or...
4. Would the rectifier version present a more 'clean' sound at all?

I think I am set on the Nick, but would like to check if there's likely to be significant differences...
+ I like its compactness.
+ Only requiring 1 tube (I have quite an array of nice 6SN7's and 6N8S. The rectifier version would leave me on a (probably expensive) quest for the optimal rectifier tube!

Cheers

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #124 of 209
Thinking I need one of these in my life!!

Some Q's though, for you experts... (I am a certified novice - sort of!)
Can't afford the balanced, so that's out. Between the Roger and Nick...

1. The Roger goes to 125Khz, the Nick goes to 115Khz. Am I actually likely to notice any difference with the higher freq response over the lower? - given that I am 46 and my ears aren't what they used to be.
2. Is there a huge difference in using a rectifier tube amp (Roger) over one that doesn't. What differences are there in laymans terms?
3. I'm not looking for a clinical sound (obviously; they're both tube), but the warmest/tubiest sound. Would the rectifier version be more likely to offer this? Or...
4. Would the rectifier version present a more 'clean' sound at all?

I think I am set on the Nick, but would like to check if there's likely to be significant differences...
+ I like its compactness.
+ Only requiring 1 tube (I have quite an array of nice 6SN7's and 6N8S. The rectifier version would leave me on a (probably expensive) quest for the optimal rectifier tube!

Cheers
I have a Roger. I can’t talk to the difference between the two, but what I’ve read is that the rectifier tube has little effect on the euphonic quality of the amp, and that the included tube is fine.

Jul 20, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #125 of 209
I have a Roger. I can’t talk to the difference between the two, but what I’ve read is that the rectifier tube has little effect on the euphonic quality of the amp, and that the included tube is fine.
Thanks. I have had replies to all my queries already from Tor Audio... super quick! Here's what they say...
'There is no significant difference in sound between Nick and Roger, because they use the same circuitry and components, and the only difference is in the rectifier tube that Roger has, instead of the simple rectifier in Nick, so you can choose between their design. Roger is the choice for people who want an all-tube circuit, but, again, if you are wonder in the sound they sound similar.'

I'll be going with the Nick for it's smaller size, happy days. They also said they're happy to try and match the wood colour as close as poss to my soon to arrive Kennerton Magni Dusks wood. Niiice! Time to dust off the tube collection and get back into the tube world - can't wait!! (not that they really need dusting, they're stored in robust, sponge filled cases).

Cheers

Jul 20, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #126 of 209
You're going to love it (and the folks at Tor are great people)!

Jul 27, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #127 of 209
I've been using a Tor Audio Nick that I purchased 2nd hand for about 4 months now, and it's the best sounding amplifier I've ever used. My DAC is a Khadas Tone Board, and I use the Nick with either my Elex, or HD6XX, and it's an absolutely incredible setup. I wasn't much of a believer in tubes before buying this, but I saw it for a good price and decided to go for it. I was using the THX 789 with the SDAC Balanced before this, and I sold them both after using the Nick for a week. The low end hits harder, the soundstage is improved, and there's a warmth that I can't verbally describe. I really didn't think an amplifier could make this much of a difference. Since it's an output transformer coupled amplifier, I am able to use all of my headphones with it, including my low impedance once like the AD1000x (although the volume knob needs to be really low).

I think Tor is a majorly overlooked brand, although I haven't tried anything with a DAC in it, or the higher end models, I'm sure they are just as deserving of such a praise. This is very nice stuff.
Bit of a long shot, perhaps you no longer frequent these forums, but...

As a Nick owner (if you still are), are you able to measure the width and depth for me? I have one on order from Tor but feel I keep pestering them with questions.
Alternatively, can anyone with a Roger measure the depth, please? It looks to have the same or similar depth as Nick, but Roger is a bit wider. Nick appears to be quite square so I could go by only the depth of Roger.

I plan on building some nice wenge wood shelves to accommodate my equipment, with the Nick on top. Want to be fairly sure of dimensions 1st though.

Cheers guys

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #128 of 209
My Roger is exactly 7.5” from front to back.

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #130 of 209
I see...on the photos/review video there is only a 4 pin xlr output to see. I will ask! But the xlr>SE cable that comes with the amp suggests also, that the XLR output is in fact an SE. Otherwise I can not imagine how this cable does not blow up the amp.

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #131 of 209
I see...on the photos/review video there is only a 4 pin xlr output to see. I will ask! But the xlr>SE cable that comes with the amp suggests also, that the XLR output is in fact an SE. Otherwise I can not imagine how this cable does not blow up the amp.
Before I ordered my amp, I emailed TorAudio and asked them:
"...Your website clearly states that the TorAudio Balanced is "fully balanced". There are two things that cause me to question this. 1. The Balanced amplifier has the same power output as the single ended Roger amplifier. 2. The included bridging cable that converts 4 pin xlr to single ended will destroy other balanced amps..."
Dima (from TorAudio) replied:
"...The balanced amplifier uses two independent stages for each channel, so it is like two Roger amplifiers in the same box, but with different output transformers and some circuit changes, such as a 6-pin volume potentiometer (see link below)..."

From what I understand, the balanced amp is able to use the xlr to single ended cable because the amp doesn't have a ground. It would be nice if someone could clarify this further or explain why this balanced amp does not have problems with a balanced to single ended adapter, when every other balanced amp does.

Oct 13, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #132 of 209
Update, still using the tot balanced most days, had the opportunity to listen to a hiifiman 500 dac amp and then out put to the tor bypassing the built in amp, sounded much better through the tor , even the owner said he needed to buy one now he had heard it. Recently bought Hifiman Arya Organic headphones and yes they are better than the Ananda and still the tor balanced can handle to 16ohm load and scale with the equipment plugged into it. Wide , large , detailed sound stage, The organic had better deeper bass and more detail, I can hear things behind other louder things much easier. Reminds me of getting a better cartridge back in the day, I want to listen to old recordings and hear them for the first time. So I recommend the tor balanced with 96db plannars even 16ohm ones. Valves are still Psvane cv181

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #133 of 209
Update, still using the tot balanced most days, had the opportunity to listen to a hiifiman 500 dac amp and then out put to the tor bypassing the built in amp, sounded much better through the tor , even the owner said he needed to buy one now he had heard it. Recently bought Hifiman Arya Organic headphones and yes they are better than the Ananda and still the tor balanced can handle to 16ohm load and scale with the equipment plugged into it. Wide , large , detailed sound stage, The organic had better deeper bass and more detail, I can hear things behind other louder things much easier. Reminds me of getting a better cartridge back in the day, I want to listen to old recordings and hear them for the first time. So I recommend the tor balanced with 96db plannars even 16ohm ones. Valves are still Psvane cv181
The only headphones I've had problems with on the TorBalanced is my original release Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI headphones. Which are 4ohm headphones.

Edit maybe they are 6-8ohm. I can't remember and don't feel like finding the box.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #134 of 209
The only headphones I've had problems with on the TorBalanced is my original release Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI headphones. Which are 4ohm headphones.

Edit maybe they are 6-8ohm. I can't remember and don't feel like finding the box.
Quick Google search says impedance is 8 ohm... No need to hunt for any boxes! :thumbsup:

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #135 of 209
I’ve had my Tor Roger for nearly two weeks now and feel I can give an honest review on how it sounds.

To start, my chain:

Cayin iDAC-6
Cayin iHA-6
ZMF Verite closed

So how does the Roger sound?

Fast, detailed, holographic although gain is limited with some tracks and the amp could do with a little more headroom. I should add that I swapped out the stock tube for a PSVANE CV181-T-M11/2 which I feel adds note weight and a greater sense of space vs the supplied stock tube.

If I swap between the Tor & Cayin amp the Cayin sounds more compressed vs the more open holographic sound through the Tor. Vocals on the Cayin sound a tad closer with the Tor sounding a little airier in presentation. Detail I would say is on par and I prefer the sound of the Tor for sure. Bass weight is more palpable with the Tor and you defiantly feel it with the mids adding that holographic sound you get with the best tube amps.

The treble feels and sounds airy and real with no obvious roll-off. Soundstage and depth perception is fantastic, and you get a real sense that you are there in the room with the music. With the ZMF’s you forget more that they are closed back which is something I couldn’t get away with when listening through the Cayin. With the Cayin I always feel as if the presentation has limits when it comes to boundaries but with the Tor the sound feels so much more open and expressive.

This is not my first tube amp and I bought and sold a Cayin HA-3A which on reflection didn’t sound that tubey for want of a better word. It had stacks of gain but just felt a little lacking when it came to giving you the warmth and holographic presentation you expect with tubes.

Streaming with Tidal there is a headroom issue with the amp and when playing ‘The Cream of Clapton’ I can get the amp to max volume without it blasting my ears! For the same volume on the Cayin I’m at around 11 o’clock so headroom is lacking for sure. I would say I’m usually somewhere between 1 o’clock and 3 o’clock with the TOR and my only critique would be this.

I should add that from order it took around 5-6 weeks to receive the amp and it came well packaged in a large cardboard box with plenty bubble wrap. Fit and finish is excellent with no wobbly parts although you do need to buy a mains lead and interconnect which is no big deal.

To conclude the amp is definitely a keeper and beats the Cayin with regards to sq I just wish there was more gain.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back