Topping TP30 or LP-2020A+ amplifier and Pioneer BS-22 speakers
Sep 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

coachclass

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have a 13 year old Pioneer VSX-D557 receiver and JBL Sat 10 center and front speakers and JBL Base15.  I've had it since college, and mostly it's used for movies so we don't really hear it and it doesn't bother me.  The receiver is connected to the computer via optical toslink cable, so I think that's as good as it gets in terms of signal quality going into the receiver.

I'm looking to build a small audio system for baby room, which will play pretty quiet music (both for the kid and the parents to enjoy).  From advice on another post, I'm leaning towards USB DAC + amp + Pioneer BS-22 setup.  The dac/amp might be a Topping TP30 or maybe just an amp like the LP-2020A, not sure yet.  But I'm wondering how much hissing to expect from this setup.

I'm wondering if hiss might be old components not being a sophisticated as newer components?  I have no idea what kind of quality the VSX-D557 Pioneer receiver is.  Back in college days, all I cared about was louder music.

The Topping TP30 is rated at 15W per channel.  Is that enough to power the Pioneer BS-22s adequately?  The speakers are rated at 80W, but I'm sure no one drives them that hard. The LP-2020A+ has slightly more power, with 20W per channel.  But the Topping's built in USB DAC to amp seems like it would create better SQ than a seperate DAC that connects to the LP-2020 amp w/ a 3.5mm cable.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 5
Im not sure about your speakers but I have the lepai 2020 and build quality is really cheap IMO (you get what you pay for)

But I am assuming like me, you have read up and done your research on it and probably found a lot of satisfied owners using the lepai in their near field setup.

Oct 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Im not sure about your speakers but I have the lepai 2020 and build quality is really cheap IMO (you get what you pay for)

But I am assuming like me, you have read up and done your research on it and probably found a lot of satisfied owners using the lepai in their near field setup.

Right.  I guess I'm not too pick about build quality - it's only $25, so I'm not expecting a Lexus.  As long as it sounds good, I'm ok with cheap feel.  But some items seem to gain cult followings and get talked up better than they really are.

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 5
  Hello,
I have a 13 year old Pioneer VSX-D557 receiver and JBL Sat 10 center and front speakers and JBL Base15.  I've had it since college, and mostly it's used for movies so we don't really hear it and it doesn't bother me.  The receiver is connected to the computer via optical toslink cable, so I think that's as good as it gets in terms of signal quality going into the receiver.

I'm looking to build a small audio system for baby room, which will play pretty quiet music (both for the kid and the parents to enjoy).  From advice on another post, I'm leaning towards USB DAC + amp + Pioneer BS-22 setup.  The dac/amp might be a Topping TP30 or maybe just an amp like the LP-2020A, not sure yet.  But I'm wondering how much hissing to expect from this setup.

I'm wondering if hiss might be old components not being a sophisticated as newer components?  I have no idea what kind of quality the VSX-D557 Pioneer receiver is.  Back in college days, all I cared about was louder music.

The Topping TP30 is rated at 15W per channel.  Is that enough to power the Pioneer BS-22s adequately?  The speakers are rated at 80W, but I'm sure no one drives them that hard. The LP-2020A+ has slightly more power, with 20W per channel.  But the Topping's built in USB DAC to amp seems like it would create better SQ than a seperate DAC that connects to the LP-2020 amp w/ a 3.5mm cable.

Hi coachclass. 

I reviewed a few different desktop amps here, using the Pioneers as my test speakers. The Topping wasn't under review there, but I had previously reviewed it alongside some other DAC/amp combos, so I included it in my tests with the Pioneers. You might find both reviews helpful, as they're both focused on the desktop speakers, and the review I linked to first is written with the Pioneers in mind. 

As to your current dilemma, if you want to buy one thing and be done, get the Topping. It sounds good with the Pioneers. No hiss. 

If you want to be able to add an extra piece later, and maybe get both a better DAC and a better headphone amp, I liked the Dayton DTA-100a amp. Priced comparably to the Topping, but a little more power and a little better sound (with the same analog source). Or you could save some money and get the Lepai, 

Regardless, the Pioneers are fantastic speakers for the price, and while I found they were revealing of changes in amplification, they weren't picky and sounded good even with really inexpensive electronics. 

Let me know if I can answer any more questions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back