Topping NX3s
Apr 3, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #47 of 138
How is the sound of the TOPPING NX3S with 16 Ohms IEMs?

Ohms is dependent on Sensitivity. So please specify which IEM. I have tried BGVP DM6 and sound is very good no noise at all.

Thank you, Palash.

JVC HA-FX1100. Their impedance is 16 Ohms. The NX3S impedance output is 5 Ohms. ¿Isn't that too high for those IEMs or they will be fine with that?

How would the 5 Ohm NX3S sound with my 16 Ohm JVC HA-FX1100?

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #48 of 138
How would the 5 Ohm NX3S sound with my 16 Ohm JVC HA-FX1100?

@Alberto01 I use this typically on the go with my FiiO M3k DAP and my Massdrop x Nuforce EDC IEMs. Those IEMs are 16ohms also and it works just fine. Just leave the NX3s on low gain and it's fine. I use low gain and high bass and I love the sound. The Topping amp also can drive my 300ohm HD6xx headphones. It's a very versatile and good quality portable amp. I can't recommend it enough. I ordered some copper tape that I'm going to try to use for EMI Shielding so I can use it with my cellphone without getting interference. That's about the only con I can think of that it has. With my FiiO though there's no interference at all so it typically doesn't bother me.

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #49 of 138
I know this is an old thread, but I swapped in a N5532P op amp and it sounded better than the LT1364 to me. Maybe it's just my ears. I tested both with Marvin Gaye's "Make Me Wanna Holler" track. It has great vocals and a good bassline that I figured would be a good barometer. To me the bass sounded better on the 5532 and I was hearing parts of the song I didn't with the 1364. To each his own though I guess.....
Thanks for the tip, I didn't have the 5532 on hand so ordered one. Ive heard this opamp many times before, as most of us have. It's very old and was mostly used in old desk that music guys used back in the 70s' From memory it is a very "Musical" chip. I'm still found of the LT1364, so if its even better that would be a plus...

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #50 of 138
@Alberto01 I use this typically on the go with my FiiO M3k DAP and my Massdrop x Nuforce EDC IEMs. Those IEMs are 16ohms also and it works just fine. Just leave the NX3s on low gain and it's fine. I use low gain and high bass and I love the sound. The Topping amp also can drive my 300ohm HD6xx headphones. It's a very versatile and good quality portable amp. I can't recommend it enough. I ordered some copper tape that I'm going to try to use for EMI Shielding so I can use it with my cellphone without getting interference. That's about the only con I can think of that it has. With my FiiO though there's no interference at all so it typically doesn't bother me.
For EMI problem you can use a long cable from cellphone to the NX3s.
I think the LME49720 found in the NX3s it's a fake one. I'm not 100% sure, but I think so. Maybe because that the NE5532p sounds beter than LME49720.
20190328_155153.jpg

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #51 of 138
I know this is an old thread, but I swapped in a N5532P op amp and it sounded better than the LT1364 to me. Maybe it's just my ears. I tested both with Marvin Gaye's "Make Me Wanna Holler" track. It has great vocals and a good bassline that I figured would be a good barometer. To me the bass sounded better on the 5532 and I was hearing parts of the song I didn't with the 1364. To each his own though I guess.....
Got the 5532 yesterday. Yeah man, it does sound pretty damn good. Hard to believe and old jellybean opamp sounds this good. I'm still a big fan of the LT1364, In class A I've never heard a more natural chip, but the 5532 behind the BB buffer in this amp works well. It's slightly more V-shaped then the LT but it has more sub-bass and more treble energy without being too harsh.
I really like the imaging, I think that's where it seems more parts are coming from? I won't be tossing out the LT1364 but I think the 5532 is a winner. For those interested I got the TI NE5532P from Digikey, I wouldn't take a chance on ebay, since this is a jellybean chip many companies make it and fakes are a plenty. It's like $1 chip so go with a named company to get one, at least you know it's legit!!

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #52 of 138
Got the 5532 yesterday. Yeah man, it does sound pretty damn good. Hard to believe and old jellybean opamp sounds this good. I'm still a big fan of the LT1364, In class A I've never heard a more natural chip, but the 5532 behind the BB buffer in this amp works well. It's slightly more V-shaped then the LT but it has more sub-bass and more treble energy without being too harsh.
I really like the imaging, I think that's where it seems more parts are coming from? I won't be tossing out the LT1364 but I think the 5532 is a winner. For those interested I got the TI NE5532P from Digikey, I wouldn't take a chance on ebay, since this is a jellybean chip many companies make it and fakes are a plenty. It's like $1 chip so go with a named company to get one, at least you know it's legit!!

Glad you liked it dude! I ordered a Burson V5i for this NX3s and I'm hoping it fits! If you look up the V5i, it's not a standard op amp size wise. It has a little square cap on it that I'm praying will fit inside the case of the Topping amp. I'll let you guys know once I get it. I should be receiving it on Monday or Tuesday of this week I'm hoping. If it does, I'll let you know how it sounds out of the box and after the 100hrs burn in that Burson recommends for their op-amps. I'm test driving the V5i before I buy a full set of 3 V5's or V6's for my STX II sound card that I use in my PC. Cheers!

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #57 of 138
Yes you can swap those out. but look them up and see if they are dual or single op amps. You want to make sure you put the right type in the slots. Good luck!
Thank you, Varmintbaby.

I hardly know anything about electronics. So, you will guide me here. Those two op amps are OPA2604. I know that those are the dual version of the single OPA604 op amp. That lets me know by default that they are dual op amps. Is that right? Should I replace both with your beloved NE5532Ps?

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #58 of 138
Thank you, Varmintbaby.

I hardly know anything about electronics. So, you will guide me here. Those two op amps are OPA2604. I know that those are the dual version of the single OPA604 op amp. That lets me know by default that they are dual op amps. Is that right? Should I replace both with your beloved NE5532P's?
Yes, OPA2604 and NE5532 are inter-changeable. But OPA2604s has some faked ones floating around. IMHO, they sound more clinical and accurate than NE5532, but best way to try is to plug them in and listen.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #59 of 138
Yes, OPA2604 and NE5532 are inter-changeable. But OPA2604s has some faked ones floating around. IMHO, they sound more clinical and accurate than NE5532, but best way to try is to plug them in and listen.

Well I've since swapped to the Muses8820, but yeah the NE5532P sounds really good as well. The 5532P is only a dollar and change from digikey.com so pick a couple up to try it out. Google some other dual op amps and based on reviews, order what you think you'd like to try. Search digikey.com first because they definitely won't be fake from them. Good luck!

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #60 of 138

Well I've since swapped to the Muses8820, but yeah the NE5532P sounds really good as well. The 5532P is only a dollar and change from digikey.com so pick a couple up to try it out. Google some other dual op amps and based on reviews, order what you think you'd like to try. Search digikey.com first because they definitely won't be fake from them. Good luck!

Thank you, guys.

I just ordered 2 x NE5532Ps from Mouser Electronics.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back