TOPPING NX3 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

musicphotolife

100+ Head-Fier
I was researching for a budget headphone amp and chanced upon the TOPPING NX1 thread with great reviews. Then I found that @littlemart is carrying the latest TOPPING NX3, so after contacting him, we met up this evening and I bought the NX3 from him.

Here's the spec he shared:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787583/topping-nx3-portable-amp 
  I am happy to share that following the popular NX1 and NX2, Topping has launch their NX3.

Here are the spec at glance:

Feature overview
  1. TI TPA6120 amplifier chip
  2. Mega bass
  3. low Battery LED reminder
  4. 25hr playback time

Specification:
a) Output Power: 103mW@ 16ohm load
98mW@ 32ohm load
30mW@ 25ohm load
b) THD+N: <0.0031% (32ohm 5mW)
<0.0032% (32ohm 20mW)
c) Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
d) Suitable Headphone Impedance : 16-300 ohm
f) Noise: <9u V (Gain=L)
g) Dimensions: 66mm X 108mm X13mm
h) Weight: 145g
i) Color : Black / Silver

I kindly asked him if I could borrow the NX1 from him for a few days so that I could listen and write a comparative review. He agreed, much to my delight.

2 hours later, fresh from burn-in, I decided to start sharing my brief impressions and may share more over the next few days.

Equipment used for testing: Sony NWZ-A15, Fisher Audio FA-011, SMSL W5 short stereo cable.

Please note that this is the first time I am testing both amps, unlike many other forumers who are too familiar with NX1 audio characteristics. Hence I am offering a relative comparison between the two. In addition, I am testing with FA-011, known to be very open-sounding.

a. NX3 sounds less bright, more tight, while NX1 sounds more airy.
b. NX3 has more body at the bass, while NX1 is less boomy.
c. NX3 is comparatively warmer but retains the clarity.
d. NX3 drives better. I compared the volume to be identical when NX1 is 90% while NX3 is 70%.
e. NX3 comes with bass boost. Enabling it increases the bass range, making it sound fatter.
f. I prefer the NX3 for balance, tightness and bass response. But I enjoy NX1 openness and treble brilliance.

Hope this brief impression can trigger some discussion and interest on this successor to NX1. Do ask any questions and I will try to answer, though I will not be able to describe as precise as other veteran forumers. Thanks for reading!

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 94
Minimum Retail @USD 79.99. Topping should have release their stock to their dealers by then.. not sure what is holding them to make an official launch. I believe soon the NX3 will available. Just keep a look out places at Amazon, ebay etc

One of the key highlight by Topping is the TI TPA6120 amplifier chip which is use in Sony PHA-3

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 94
I was researching for a budget headphone amp and chanced upon the TOPPING NX1 thread with great reviews. Then I found that @littlemart
 is carrying the latest TOPPING NX3, so after contacting him, we met up this evening and I bought the NX3 from him.

I kindly asked him if I could borrow the NX1 from him for a few days so that I could listen and write a comparative review. He agreed, much to my delight.

2 hours later, fresh from burn-in, I decided to start sharing my brief impressions and may share more over the next few days.

Equipment used for testing: Sony NWZ-A15, Fisher Audio FA-011, SMSL W5 short stereo cable.

Please note that this is the first time I am testing both amps, unlike many other forumers who are too familiar with NX1 audio characteristics. Hence I am offering a relative comparison between the two. In addition, I am testing with FA-011, known to be very open-sounding.

d. NX3 drives better. I compared the volume to be identical when NX1 is 90% while NX3 is 70%.
e. NX3 comes with bass boost. Enabling it increases the bass range, making it sound fatter.
f. I prefer the NX3 for balance, tightness and bass response. But I enjoy NX1 openness and treble brilliance.

Hope this brief impression can trigger some discussion and interest on this successor to NX1. Do ask any questions and I will try to answer, though I will not be able to describe as precise as other veteran forumers. Thanks for reading!

Could you take more pictures of your setup? Stacked and also side by side?

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 94
I was researching for a budget headphone amp and chanced upon the TOPPING NX1 thread with great reviews. Then I found that @littlemart
 is carrying the latest TOPPING NX3, so after contacting him, we met up this evening and I bought the NX3 from him.

Thanks for the comparison. Are they out the box impressions for both Nx1 and NX3? If so you'd better burn them in for at least 50 hours as the sound may change with time. Will be looking for your detailed review and comparison :wink:

NX3 looks great btw.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 94
Rzepa likes the shape of NX3 more than NX1. It looks like it would stack better with his iMod 5g.

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 94
Very confusing. On the Topping's website there isn't a word about it: http://www.tpdz.net/en/products.htm.
Aliexpress doesn't have it, and on eBay found only one NX3 offer with added confusion, mentioning in the specs "DAC decoder - SoundCard: PCM2704 HI-FI USB DAC SPDIF".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topping-NX3-HiFi-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-TPA6120A2-Chip-/111828748323?hash=item1a09834823:g:xxUAAOSwLzdWTsn5

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 94
Looks interesting, I've just started looking for a new basic amp. I have had the NX1 for just over 3 months now. It has and a nice form factor also worked well until recently. Unfortunately at the top 20% on the volume has noticeable static, initially just while turning the knob. Now consistently above that 80% level over the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping it my just be a one off anomaly as I say I like the form factor. This one form wish and sound wise looks like it will pair well with the x3ii.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 94
Thanks for the comparison. Are they out the box impressions for both Nx1 and NX3? If so you'd better burn them in for at least 50 hours as the sound may change with time. Will be looking for your detailed review and comparison
wink.gif

NX3 looks great btw.

Yes I'm still burning in, so I'm withholding any further comments. Unfortunately I have to return the NX1 so I won't be able to make further comparisons between the 2. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 94
  Very confusing. On the Topping's website there isn't a word about it: http://www.tpdz.net/en/products.htm.
Aliexpress doesn't have it, and on eBay found only one NX3 offer with added confusion, mentioning in the specs "DAC decoder - SoundCard: PCM2704 HI-FI USB DAC SPDIF".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topping-NX3-HiFi-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-TPA6120A2-Chip-/111828748323?hash=item1a09834823:g:xxUAAOSwLzdWTsn5

I've looked at the manual again, and confirmed that the NX3 does not have DAC. As for why there is no official launch, I can only speculate that perhaps TOPPING wants to wait after Black Friday frenzy.

Here is the purchase link from Singapore distributor: https://littlemart.wordpress.com/portable-amplifiers/topping-nx3/

Nov 24, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 94

musicphotolife is right! NX3 is a pure portable amp. No Built in DAC. I have confirmed this with Topping also.  It seem the other online store sellers just copied some of the spec that is belong to NX2......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back