Topping M50 digital music player
Feb 26, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #32 of 49
I use a solid state drive (SSD) exclusively and do not hear any crosstalk
I think all the M50 were taken off the market as they all had crosstalk issues. You might not hear it if you just listen to music. Try playing something through just one channel and see if anything leaks through the other channel. It should not.

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #33 of 49
I guess I lucked out with my units … I just tried both my SD-9 and my M50 … using left & right - both flac & dsd test tracks … I use these and other tracks to make sure my I2S pinouts are set properly between each player and my DAC … again I heard no crosstalk in my 2.1 speaker setup

I would assume any crosstalk issue would be present at all times?

Is the issue intermittent or constant?

After an extremely quick google search … I only found one crosstalk issue with the SMSL DP5 player mentioned

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #34 of 49
I don't think you are testing the unit correctly. You need to play a file that is panned to one side completely. Do you have such a track? If not you would need to record one. Doesn't matter if it's high Res or not. You are just checking if there's no crosstalk.play the track through the SD card or usb memory and you will hear sound coming out both channels which is wrong.
The problem occurs when playing files through SD card or usb HDD.

I highly doubt you have lucked out. As far as I know they are all affected. Try again.

Feb 27, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #35 of 49
I don't think you are testing the unit correctly. You need to play a file that is panned to one side completely. Do you have such a track? If not you would need to record one. Doesn't matter if it's high Res or not. You are just checking if there's no crosstalk.play the track through the SD card or usb memory and you will hear sound coming out both channels which is wrong.
The problem occurs when playing files through SD card or usb HDD.

I highly doubt you have lucked out. As far as I know they are all affected. Try again.
Looks like you are correct … I used the left & right test tone flac & dsd files from this site:

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php

Thanks … I will need to search for another stand alone device which can use a SSD as a source

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #36 of 49
I think all the M50 were taken off the market as they all had crosstalk issues. You might not hear it if you just listen to music. Try playing something through just one channel and see if anything leaks through the other channel. It should not.
Source?

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #38 of 49
Does this crosstalk occur with all outputs? USB, spdif, I2S?
Looks like you are correct … I used the left & right test tone flac & dsd files from this site:

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_index.php

Thanks … I will need to search for another stand alone device which can use a SSD as a source
Petey here is talking complete tosh. This guy might be as well... I did the same test through USB and a Left to Right pan on SD card and there's no leakage of channels.
What is this? Some kind of corporate warfare? Spreading false information about the competition? Or trying to get people to pay to download the sound tests on that site?

Effing LOL.

A google search turns up nothing on this issue. And for finalities sake I've emailed Topping. They can have a say in this.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #39 of 49
Petey here is talking complete tosh. This guy might be as well... I did the same test through USB and a Left to Right pan on SD card and there's no leakage of channels.
What is this? Some kind of corporate warfare? Spreading false information about the competition? Or trying to get people to pay to download the sound tests on that site?

Effing LOL.

A google search turns up nothing on this issue. And for finalities sake I've emailed Topping. They can have a say in this.
You will NOT hear back from Topping. Can you describe how you did the test? It has been confirmed by several people including the dealers! So it is more likely you have not tested it correctly.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #40 of 49
You will NOT hear back from Topping. Can you describe how you did the test? It has been confirmed by several people including the dealers! So it is more likely you have not tested it correctly.
Well, Pete, it appears I owe you an apology.
I tested it via USB DAC mode... no problem there. I assumed the SD card would be no different and left it at that. Tried it just now, and you're right.
Now I need to decide how much of a problem this is, and what to do about it.

Mar 11, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #41 of 49
I sent Topping links to this thread in my email, actually.

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #42 of 49
I can also confirm the problem: playing a channel identification test (Stereophile Test CD 2) from an SD card with the M50, there is a considerable amount of crosstalk. To make sure, I detached my left speaker when the 'Left only' track was playing, and it was clearly audible in the right speaker. Please keep us posted on any reply from Topping. Does the M50 allow for firmware upgrade?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #43 of 49
Yes, there is the option to update firmware in the setting's menu.
Apparently the SMSL players have this problem too, and people found a way to get in and fix the code... so I feel like this should be an easy fix for the companies themselves. If there is no firmware update to come, in response to this, I'm returning the unit as defective.

Mar 12, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #45 of 49
Aune x5s for me. I'm old-school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back