Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Nov 30, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #242 of 506
Hi guys,

Is this amp good enough for HD6XX? If I pair it with E30 it can produce only 50% of power?

Thanks!
It definitely is. You will have plenty of power to drive HD6XX.

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #244 of 506
I don't understand why would E30 be a good DAC for L30 because with that DAC L30 can produce only 50% of it's power? I don't get it
You have to set the E30 as a DAC, not a PREamp. That way, it will output 100% of power

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #245 of 506
You have to set the E30 as a DAC, not a PREamp. That way, it will output 100% of power
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking for amp for HD6XX. I have HRT Music Streamer II DAC. I don't know should I buy L30 with E30/D10 or some more powerfull amp to go with my HRT and latter on maybe some other DAC?

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #247 of 506
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking for amp for HD6XX. I have HRT Music Streamer II DAC. I don't know should I buy L30 with E30/D10 or some more powerfull amp to go with my HRT and latter on maybe some other DAC?
L30+E30 is a really nice combo. You have more than enuff power to drive 6xx + other powerhungry headphones. It works really well with low impedance iem's as well. If you want a cheaper dac D10 is good, I use the L30+E30 combo and really happy with it.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #248 of 506
Is the L30 dead silent when turning the volume knob with no music playing?

I received a Schiit Magni Heresy yesterday and returned it today because of the whooshing/scratchy sound from about 12 o'clock to the upper limit of the control. I was well aware of this known issue with the Heresy before ordering it, but rolled the dice in hopes I would get a quiet one so it would match/stack well with my Modi 3 DAC. A noisy volume control is unacceptable to me, even it is not noticeable with music playing.

Dec 1, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #249 of 506

I received a Schiit Magni Heresy yesterday and returned it today because of the whooshing/scratchy sound from about 12 o'clock to the upper limit of the control. I was well aware of this known issue with the Heresy before ordering it, but rolled the dice in hopes I would get a quiet one so it would match/stack well with my Modi 3 DAC. A noisy volume control is unacceptable to me, even it is not noticeable with music playing.
I hear no sound from mine, it's silent and smooth to operate

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #250 of 506

I have the Heresy also, and yes, it has that same noise as you mentioned. I have the Asgard 3 as well, and it has the same issue also. But, like you said; once the music plays, no noise or scratchy sound is heard. Don’t know what is causing that, but I understand your wanting everything to be dead silent. That’s the way it should be.

Dec 1, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #253 of 506
Funny how things work out sometimes. I was initially torn between a Modi 3/Heresy or a E30/L30 combo, turns out I'll likely have a mixture of Schiit/Topping instead.

I bought a Modi 3 to try out first and liked it a lot right from the start. I then decided to try an E30 to compare. Both were tested with a Fiio A5 amp and Westone W20 IEMs and AKG K371s. To my ears the E30 was a bit brighter with my amp/headphones.

I also began experiencing odd behavior from the E30 after a couple of weeks. The auto-off feature started working only intermittently. I do not use USB or PC audio, I use the optical input for TV sound and the coaxial input for music/movies from a Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra BD player. The auto-off worked fine from the start, but after a couple of weeks I'd get up in the morning and the display of the E30 would be flashing "ERR". I tried resetting it and/or unplugging for a bit several times, and it would be fine for a few days then the issue returned. Even though it had a remote and I could just turn it off that way (it was 8' away), I expect things to work as they are supposed to, so I returned it. Plus I slightly preferred the sound of the Modi 3.

Now, after the noisy volume control in the Heresy, I'll probably order an L30 to go with my Modi 3. Just goes to show that any manufacturer can have QC issues

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #254 of 506
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the L30 (in silver) through Amazon. I had enough $$ on my Amazon gift card balance to cover it, though I now wish I'd ordered it during the Black Friday weekend price of $118. Can't wait to try it out!

Dec 2, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #255 of 506
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the L30 (in silver) through Amazon. I had enough $$ on my Amazon gift card balance to cover it, though I now wish I'd ordered it during the Black Friday weekend price of $118. Can't wait to try it out!
I've found that you have to do a bit of configuration acrobatics for it to sound its best, but once you've done it, it's glorious.

EDIT: Ooops, sorry. I thought this was the E30 thread. The L30 is awesome! Just plug it in and go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back