Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Aug 15, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #122 of 506
Got this in... Btr5 and hd6xx. Seems comparatively quiet/lacking in power next to my zen can and magni 2. Hoping for different results when the e30 comes in.
Just in case, make sure the volume on your source is turned up to full, then adjust up or down the volume on the BTR5.

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #124 of 506
Sounds like the L30 is highly dependent on the DAC output. That sounds quite disappointing...for something that can output 1W into 30ohms to ever sound quiet.
Also..am I the only one who noticed the measurements indicate 1W@30ohms while Topping advertises 2 X 2.2W@32ohm ?

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #125 of 506
My L30 was just delivered today. It has more than enough power for the HD 650 on medium gain, with a 2V RMS DAC. I have the dial at about 11 o'clock, so there's plenty of headroom. Unless you have some very inefficient planars, there should be plenty of juice.

Thank you Apos Audio for the free shipping upgrade, only took 4 days to get to the Western US from China.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #126 of 506
My L30 was just delivered today. It has more than enough power for the HD 650 on medium gain, with a 2V RMS DAC. I have the dial at about 11 o'clock, so there's plenty of headroom. Unless you have some very inefficient planars, there should be plenty of juice.

Thank you Apos Audio for the free shipping upgrade, only took 4 days to get to the Western US from China.

I agree. I was just running the L30 with a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro which has 2V output. 1:30 is about as loud as I like to listen on medium gain. Plenty of power.

Aug 16, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #128 of 506
My silver L30 arrived so I can do some E30, L30, Heresy, and 780 comparisons. Looks like a nice unit.
Awesome! Looking forward to the comparison between the Heresy and the L30. I want to upgrade my Atom since it seems underpowered (particularly with my MrSpeakers CX) and will likely get one of those two.

Aug 17, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #129 of 506
Awesome! Looking forward to the comparison between the Heresy and the L30. I want to upgrade my Atom since it seems underpowered (particularly with my MrSpeakers CX) and will likely get one of those two.
Note that the output that Topping has specified in their literature is with a high DAC voltage input.

Most people probably have a standard 2V DAC. With that, the L30 and Atom have about the same output at 32 ohms, and the Atom has about twice as much output at 300 ohms. Check ASR's measurements of each.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #130 of 506
Also..am I the only one who noticed the measurements indicate 1W@30ohms while Topping advertises 2 X 2.2W@32ohm ?
That may be because they are quoting different output power at different distortion % levels.

Anyone open it up to see inside? This seems to have the same NFCA architecture as the A90, chances that it will look pretty similar inside, only a little cropped pictures of the transparent heatsinks shown on their website. I think having nearly everything integrated into one chip that can implement huge amounts of negative feedback is the only way to achieve such low distortion levels.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #131 of 506
That may be because they are quoting different output power at different distortion % levels.

No. See my post right before yours.

Those headphone amp output numbers are based upon using a DAC that has 9V output. Most of us have DACs that are 2V, so you're not going to get anywhere close to that.

Aug 17, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #132 of 506
UPDATE
I have been listening to the L30 for a few hours and comparing it against the Schiit Heresy. My stack consists of a Schiit Modius / Topping E30 DAC feeding either a Heresy or L30 amp. I also have a Drop AAA 789 for reference. My playlist is given at the end of the review. I also connect my DAC's to the PC using an optical cable to remove any unwanted USB issues.

The differences are:

L30 runs warmer ( not hot )
L30 has better gain control ( 3 settings vs the Heresy's 2 )
L30 does not make a buzzing sound when inserting RCA connectors into the input when the volume knob is turned up. The Heresy hums briefly.

Both amps supply ample power to my HE-400i planars. Both sound very clean with no discernable distortion. Both control bass very well and have low output impedances.
I can get the 400i to very loud levels on the 0dB setting ( middle gain ).

Suggestions:
I would wait to order an L30 to see if overheating or other issues arise in the first few months of production. This is a brand new product and I hate for you to invest in something that may get a few improvements soon.

If you own an Atom or Heresy there is NO reason to upgrade. All of these amps sound so similar if not identical that you are better putting your money into new headphones or music. If you are looking at a new headphone amp then the L30 is awesome for sure and stacks perfectly onto the E30 DAC from Topping.

PLAYLIST
https://music.amazon.com/user-playl...musicTerritory=US&marketplaceId=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #133 of 506
Well I have the E30 in the stack now. Hd580 sounds great at 10:00 0db. it doesn't seem to have the same problems that it did with the BTR5 or the modi dac.

It doesn't pick up any interference noise from the E30 either like it did with my other dacs.

I'm pretty satisfied with the whole thing as a unit at this point. Im excited to see how ir does with my lcd-gx coming on Thursday

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back