Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Aug 9, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #483 of 506
Did someone compare Topping L30 and JDS Lab Amp+. I am planning to buy a one. In a fix between these two. Can someone help me out?
I have owned the JDS Labs Atom and the Topping L30. I now own two JDS Labs Atom amplifiers because it is well made. I returned the Topping because I don't like to keep garbage.

JDS Labs Atom characteristics that still apply to the plus.
You can upgrade the knob.
It sounds clean and powerful.
JDS Labs is an honest company and a pleasure to communicate with.
The Atom has two switchable inputs.

Topping L30
If you upgrade the knob, you have likely destroyed the circuit board.
It makes loud popping noises as your headphone driver burns up.
The company is the worst to deal with and is deceitful.
Topping makes garbage.

I won't call others dumb that purchase ampliFires made by Topping.
At least not in front of them.
I will wait until they leave the room.

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #484 of 506
I have owned the JDS Labs Atom and the Topping L30. I now own two JDS Labs Atom amplifiers because it is well made. I returned the Topping because I don't like to keep garbage.

JDS Labs Atom characteristics that still apply to the plus.
You can upgrade the knob.
It sounds clean and powerful.
JDS Labs is an honest company and a pleasure to communicate with.
The Atom has two switchable inputs.

Topping L30
Topping makes garbage.

I won't call others dumb that purchase ampliFires made by Topping.
At least not in front of them.
I will wait until they leave the room.
You make no sense,

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #485 of 506
You are referring to eleven years ago with NwAvGuy leading the way. Do you know about Schiit amplifiers frying headphones since then? Please share.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...robable-start-up.701900/page-52#post-10463052

To answer your question, I will give you three reasons.

1. Schiit has improved on their amplifiers.
The quality is pretty good for what you pay. If you change the knob on your Topping amplifier it removes the potentiometer from the board and breaks your amplifier.

2. Schiit has someone that you can communicate with if you have a problem.
Topping does not have anyone to speak with. Instead Topping only has someone on another forum that claims that he is only an intern when things go bad. And, then when they don't like what you say on said forum, they delete and censor your posts.
Here is Jude's take on censorship: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...preciation-thread.584763/page-11#post-8144761

3. Schiit also has a track record of taking care of the customers that had headphones fried.
I tried to get compensation for my headphones when Topping fried them with their poorly designed and poorly made ampliFire. It was a nightmare and the worst experience I have ever had with any product period. Topping is my least favorite brand.

As you can see, Topping is nowhere near what you get from Schiit. I have around forty or fifty headphone amplifiers right now and six of them are Schiit. They are of decent quality and were well worth every cent that I paid for them. I will never purchase anything Topping now that I have had to live the nightmare of dealing with them. I would instead recommend other brands such as Schiit, Ray Samuels, Headamp, Beyerdynamic, JDS Labs, Monoprice, Singxer, Little Dot, DarkVoice or pretty much anything else over Topping.
They stilled fried them,1 year 10 years make no difference, you make no sense, now if you have a preference than cool.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #486 of 506
My Topping has served me flawlessly in the6 orso months that I've owned it but the original Atom was also a Giant killer fwir - flip a coin :)

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #487 of 506
Topping L30
Topping makes garbage.
Deceitful company, true. Had my own experience with a DAC.
As for a knob, it was assembled using a vice or hammer. A pot bearing is already damaged during the assembly, it is why it has a free play. This is a comment from the hourse mouth on the ASR.

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #489 of 506
Is this still a competitive priced AMP for £150? Pairing with smsl Sanskrit 10th mk2. Don't need balanced mode

It is an analytical amp which is quite neutral. Measurements are stellar, but measurements are of course not everything. I like the L30 personally, as it is good for assessing gear without coloring the music, but there are definitely more "musical" amps out there.

It has 3 gain switches so it is suitable for highly sensitive multi BA IEMs all the way to power hungry planars. The earlier batches had a non grounded amp where ESD could potentially damage connected headphones/IEMs, but they have fixed it since the january 2021 batches.

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #490 of 506
Sep 9, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #491 of 506
The earlier batches had a non grounded amp where ESD could potentially damage connected headphones/IEMs, but they have fixed it since the january 2021 batches.
There is still no ESD protection and output DC protection (inside TPA chip) can be defeated. It means that it can still blew your expensive HP's. Extremely low input impedance do not replace ESD protection devices and give interconnectivity problems.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #492 of 506
Yeah, don't be fooled by Topping. This and their other amplifires are garbage. Spend a little more and get an amp brand that doesn't suck. I recommend RebelAmp if you can afford it $500.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #493 of 506
In
There is still no ESD protection and output DC protection (inside TPA chip) can be defeated. It means that it can still blew your expensive HP's. Extremely low input impedance do not replace ESD protection devices and give interconnectivity problems.
Interesting. I thought the fault had been fixed for serial numbers from 2011 down? It's what put me off before tbh. I've bought a set of akg k701 which I got cheap on Amazon warehouse as I've been wanting to try them for years... Turns out I love them. I've been using a Music Fidelity AMP which drives them easily but it's a bit too coloured. I was after something more neutral.

I've set £150 as budget.

I was tempted to get the iFi Audio Zen Can too

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #494 of 506
Interesting. I thought the fault had been fixed for serial numbers from 2011 down? It's what put me off before tbh.
This is what they say. Good you found a different amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back