Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #436 of 506
I got my replacement L30 (serial number 2012) today, sent via DHL from HIFIGO and Topping.

No issues so far with one hour of usage, sounds quite similar to the older L30. I used to have a slight channel imbalance with my older L30 at low volumes, seems to be fixed in the new release.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #437 of 506
I voted with my wallet despite the warnings - the L30 is cheaper than both the Atom and the Heresy here in Oz. The reseller has assured me that their stock are 'brand new' from Topping, and given the impact CNY has on deliveries from sources outside Australia, I wasn't about to argue. Delivery times are a crapshoot here in the Top End, but 27 deg C and our sole active COVID case is a US Marine on deployment - on balance, it could be worse.

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #438 of 506
(Android phone -> LDAC -> BTR5 -> L30 -> DT880-250)

6 hours in and I'm happy so far - about the only initial impression is that the word 'smooth' in other folks' posts is exactly what I'm hearing. Its a cool day here but the L30 is barely even warm to the touch - I doubt that I would have been so fortunate if I had plumbed for the Heresy. No question that a more powerful source would coax more output from the L30 but right now I just want to get to the point where it's just another benign electronic device in my bedroom.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #439 of 506
Rough estimate is now around the 50 hour mark - as a HPA and a pre into my little speaker amp - and I have zero complaints so I'll return to logging in every few months just to see where the goalposts are in this crazy hobby :wink:

Mar 10, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #440 of 506
I voted with my wallet despite the warnings - the L30 is cheaper than both the Atom and the Heresy here in Oz. The reseller has assured me that their stock are 'brand new' from Topping, and given the impact CNY has on deliveries from sources outside Australia, I wasn't about to argue. Delivery times are a crapshoot here in the Top End, but 27 deg C and our sole active COVID case is a US Marine on deployment - on balance, it could be worse.
I paid $180 AUD from JDS for my Atom last year - how much did you pay for the L30? Am waiting for the blue one I think

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #441 of 506
I paid $180 AUD from JDS for my Atom last year - how much did you pay for the L30? Am waiting for the blue one I think

https://tinyurl.com/2xrv48jb

219 AUD shipped seems steep but I'm happy - ordered Monday and had it by Friday (express shipping), well packed and I've had zero problems to date. By contrast, I'm still waiting for the geniuses at Amazon UK to ship a pair of headphones I ordered 2 weeks ago - I swore I'd never use them again after my last month-long wait but the price was too good to ignore. Going with the local retailer gives me someone I can contact if there is a problem with the amp and it was a no-brainer given that I ordered the amp while most of China was on holiday. FWIW, the ATA markup on Topping is a lot more reasonable than the AUD prices they slap on Schiit gear - their stance is that you're paying for an Australian warranty, so I'll leave it there. If I can give ATA and Minidisc a plug for those who cant get past the prices, both are first class when it comes to answering queries from potential customers re stock or whatever. Many overseas vendors I've dealt with take 48 hours+ to respond and that gets old very quickly.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #442 of 506
https://tinyurl.com/2xrv48jb

219 AUD shipped seems steep but I'm happy - ordered Monday and had it by Friday (express shipping), well packed and I've had zero problems to date. By contrast, I'm still waiting for the geniuses at Amazon UK to ship a pair of headphones I ordered 2 weeks ago - I swore I'd never use them again after my last month-long wait but the price was too good to ignore. Going with the local retailer gives me someone I can contact if there is a problem with the amp and it was a no-brainer given that I ordered the amp while most of China was on holiday. FWIW, the ATA markup on Topping is a lot more reasonable than the AUD prices they slap on Schiit gear - their stance is that you're paying for an Australian warranty, so I'll leave it there. If I can give ATA and Minidisc a plug for those who cant get past the prices, both are first class when it comes to answering queries from potential customers re stock or whatever. Many overseas vendors I've dealt with take 48 hours+ to respond and that gets old very quickly.
Yeah the Schiit tax is insane I was looking at Lyr3 but ugh, I currently have an Atom amp/Topping D30 DAC but possibly may upgrade since I have some pretty high end headphones now.. (Focal Clear and Denon AH-D9200)

Mar 10, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #443 of 506
Yeah the Schiit tax is insane I was looking at Lyr3 but ugh, I currently have an Atom amp/Topping D30 DAC but possibly may upgrade since I have some pretty high end headphones now.. (Focal Clear and Denon AH-D9200)
True. Being outside US there are better options, also from China. I upgraded from D30 in emergency soon after receiving it to a $42 Nobsound 8x TDA1387 DAC/HPA. It is portable device, the amp is very basic, but RCA output is surprisingly competent. It gives R2R type of sound, it is important for the music played on acoustic instruments to hear timbre and texture, as it gives a comfort of listening and true enjoyement.

Prices of R2R DACs start higher than Topping supermarket type products. Bifrost 2 is probably the lowest priced Schiit product I am talking about, it pairs well with Lyr3, but considering Australian condition I would rather climb up for Denafrips Ares II ($750) or Audio GD-R-1 ($889). The later one has I2S interface, it allows an important upgrade path when using PC as a source. My current gear is a Nobsound on the road and Audio GD R2R-11 on my desk driving HD600. For $350 you can't find better value DAC/HPA. When upgrading it would be probably R-28.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #444 of 506
True. Being outside US there are better options, also from China. I upgraded from D30 in emergency soon after receiving it to a $42 Nobsound 8x TDA1387 DAC/HPA. It is portable device, the amp is very basic, but RCA output is surprisingly competent. It gives R2R type of sound, it is important for the music played on acoustic instruments to hear timbre and texture, as it gives a comfort of listening and true enjoyement.

Prices of R2R DACs start higher than Topping supermarket type products. Bifrost 2 is probably the lowest priced Schiit product I am talking about, it pairs well with Lyr3, but considering Australian condition I would rather climb up for Denafrips Ares II ($750) or Audio GD-R-1 ($889). The later one has I2S interface, it allows an important upgrade path when using PC as a source. My current gear is a Nobsound on the road and Audio GD R2R-11 on my desk driving HD600. For $350 you can't find better value DAC/HPA. When upgrading it would be probably R-28.
Yeah I was eyeing the 28, but also something like an ifi micro for on the go

Mar 13, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #446 of 506
Poor quality control and it can blow your expensive heaphones. I wouldn't review such things even if someone pays for a job. Not on my headpphones.

Mar 13, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #447 of 506
Yeah I was eyeing the 28, but also something like an ifi micro for on

Poor quality control and it can blow your expensive heaphones. I wouldn't review such things even if someone pays for a job. Not on my headpphones.
That was fixed,you must not remember when schitt was frying schitt

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #449 of 506
Explain, what was fixed?

I reviewed it becuase as far as I got response from the company and everyone around, units with a new serial number have no issues.

I also still have my unit up and running, and I did add a disclaimer in the viddy description too

I was considering wehter I should post it or not, but just a heads-up, I filmed the video way before the first person ever had issues with their unit.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #450 of 506
I reviewed it becuase as far as I got response from the company and everyone around, units with a new serial number have no issues.

I also still have my unit up and running, and I did add a disclaimer in the viddy description too

I was considering wehter I should post it or not, but just a heads-up, I filmed the video way before the first person ever had issues with their unit.
Fair enough, thanks. I must add that a company claim of "no issues" is not acceptable. They should clearly state whether updated L30 have built-in ESD protection and DC output protection and how this protection is implemented.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back