Topping G5
Mar 23, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #167 of 351
Is there any specific setup/settings i should select to get the most out of the Bluetooth connection? I'm just using UAPP and streaming directly to G5 (it shows up as Android instead of USB DAC below the play button). Never used Bluetooth dac/amp so idk if I'm doing it right 😄
As mentioned by others, make sure you are set to use the LDAC codec.
- Go to your source’s settings
- Select Bluetooth
- Find G5 and click the ”wheel / cog” symbol
- Make sure LDAC is selected.
- If you see anywhere associated with the G5 an option to optimize for sound quality or connection, choose sound quality.

After the above, if you have enabled developer options on your source go to developer options:
- scroll down until you find Bluetooth Audio codec
- make sure LDAC is selected
- then look for Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec entry and select 990/909 for the best quality, or adaptive to let the phone figure it out dynamically based on strength of connection.

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #168 of 351
Also, note that UAPP, while great for wired options, probably doesn’t do anything to make Bluetooth results any better. But, hey, if you are using UAPP for wired DACs you may as well use the same interface while in Bluetooth. Just don’t do it thinking the results will be meaningfully better for Bluetooth.

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #169 of 351
I have to say this device makes my Meze 99 sound better than they ever have. Very punchy, clean, and fantastic bass. I had no idea these headphones can scale up like this with a good amp/dac. I got the impression from all the reviews that these headphones don't benefit much from an amp and it seems to have been a massive lie/misunderstanding haha

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #170 of 351
Also, note that UAPP, while great for wired options, probably doesn’t do anything to make Bluetooth results any better. But, hey, if you are using UAPP for wired DACs you may as well use the same interface while in Bluetooth. Just don’t do it thinking the results will be meaningfully better for Bluetooth.
The UAPP high res driver really improves Bluetooth sound quality.

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #172 of 351
Any rumors about a G5 successor yet?
I have not heard anything but I wouldn't expect one in the short term. Toppings focus is on desktop gear. They crank that stuff out. Their NX7 portable amp came out well before the G5 and was a pretty big hit and they haven't bothered to put out a successor for it as of yet. My guess, if they do anything, will be that they do a balanced version of the NX7 and maybe the G5 down the line. But I wouldn't hold my breath in the short term.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #173 of 351
I have been having an issue when I connect the G5 to my Pixel 6a. I usually turn it on, connect it through USB (toggles set at USB and gain at L) and UAAP opens up automatically. When i press play to a song from Tidal, often or most times the device disconnects by itself (as in the attached screenshot) and it connects back by itself. This is often associated with a "click" sound from the device and a brief noise in the headphones. This usually goes away after the 2nd or 3d attempt at playing a song, and after that it works fine. Not sure where the fault is. I have tried different cables, playing mqa and non mqa files, and leaving the device on for a longer time before pressing play. This problem does not exist when using it through Bluetooth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413-092950.png
    Screenshot_20230413-092950.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #174 of 351
I have been having an issue when I connect the G5 to my Pixel 6a. I usually turn it on, connect it through USB (toggles set at USB and gain at L) and UAAP opens up automatically. When i press play to a song from Tidal, often or most times the device disconnects by itself (as in the attached screenshot) and it connects back by itself. This is often associated with a "click" sound from the device and a brief noise in the headphones. This usually goes away after the 2nd or 3d attempt at playing a song, and after that it works fine. Not sure where the fault is. I have tried different cables, playing mqa and non mqa files, and leaving the device on for a longer time before pressing play. This problem does not exist when using it through Bluetooth.
that message likely due to uaap tries to get exclusive access to the usb audio device (i.e. G5) to avoid the android system resampling. I haven't tried connecting g5 this way but I've similar message when connecting with my usb dongle and using tidal or uaap too. this kind of exclusive access seems not very stable and sometimes it lost the connection after someone called or system sound or after i tried to use google voice typing. now i give up the exclusive mode and let the android system to resample then everything works very smoothly.

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #175 of 351
I am interested in the G5 and I have got some questions. Maybe you can help me:

- Is it better than the Fiio Q3s?
- Is it possible to change a weak batterie easily or can you throw it away after some years like TWS?
- Does it have advantages for iems in comparision to the s9pro or 9038 or is the biggest advantage that it is better for over ear headphones? Only for iems you don't need it and a smaller dongle is enough?
- If the red light is on how long can you liston until it is empty? 1h?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #178 of 351
Apr 24, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #179 of 351
Anyone hear electrical noise when they have their phone and the G5 on top of each other? Using a pixel 7.

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #180 of 351
Anyone hear electrical noise when they have their phone and the G5 on top of each other? Using a pixel 7.

Yep, I do. It's feels like G5 is not shielded at all. Apart from crackling/popping noises you get from wireless interfaces being active in proximity, it also picks up a low level monotone static noise which is not so distinct and easy to pick up, but decreases dynamic range of the music somewhat (makes it sound less clear and "open"). That's a shame, really.

I've mastered myself a silly contraption from 2 plastic inserts from smartphone packaging and ~3 mm of layered aluminum foil sandwiched in between, which serves as a case/buffer between the source device and G5 and alleviates the issue to a certain degree. Obviously, it can be managed better if one has some resources and time to spare. For me that is not the case, though.

Here it is, for folk's amusement.

Attachments

• IMG_20230425_013455.jpg
    IMG_20230425_013455.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back