Topping G5
Apr 24, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #181 of 351
Yep, I do. It's feels like G5 is not shielded at all. Apart from crackling/popping noises you get from wireless interfaces being active in proximity, it also picks up a low level monotone static noise which is not so distinct and easy to pick up, but decreases dynamic range of the music somewhat (makes it sound less clear and "open"). That's a shame, really.

I've mastered myself a silly contraption from 2 plastic inserts from smartphone packaging and ~3 mm of layered aluminum foil sandwiched in between, which serves as a case/buffer between the source device and G5 and alleviates the issue to a certain degree. Obviously, it can be managed better if one has some resources and time to spare. For me that is not the case, though.

Here it is, for folk's amusement.
Nice little bobsled. Fortunately I bought this not as a portable solution, I use it at home with a long USB cable to seperate the two.

Apr 24, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #182 of 351
Very cool--I'll have to try something like that with my NX7. I've already got it in a Dollar Store IPhone case kind of like your G5 in your pic. I get the soft "pffft-pffft" and sometimes pops/crackles RFI sound in different scenarios, streaming and sometimes just proximity.

I heard the "pffft-pffft" yesterday when I just had a Hiby RS2 non-streaming DAP right on top of the NX7. Maybe all those R2R ladder resistors are great antennas (or noisy and NX7 picks them up)!

I think heavier duty/better shielded interconnects (like 3.5mm to 3.5mm or USB cables) may also help somewhat too, at least in my case.

Thanks for providing the picture!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #183 of 351
Nice little bobsled. Fortunately I bought this not as a portable solution, I use it at home with a long USB cable to seperate the two.

Haha, thank you. Yeah, this issue should not pose a problem in your use case.

Very cool--I'll have to try something like that with my NX7. I've already got it in a Dollar Store IPhone case kind of like your G5 in your pic. I get the soft "pffft-pffft" and sometimes pops/crackles RFI sound in different scenarios, streaming and sometimes just proximity.

I heard the "pffft-pffft" yesterday when I just had a Hiby RS2 non-streaming DAP right on top of the NX7. Maybe all those R2R ladder resistors are great antennas (or noisy and NX7 picks them up)!

I think heavier duty/better shielded interconnects (like 3.5mm to 3.5mm or USB cables) may also help somewhat too, at least in my case.

Thanks for providing the picture!

Godspeed, mate. Maybe you can order a custom made metal case for your NX7, a steel one even (if you don't mind a bit of additional weight). It may be very well worth it if there are such options available, imo. One can pay many times more for a smaller improvement in sound compared to what you can achieve this way.

And yeah, I think you're right about interconnects.
I used to have an old design of the DDHiFi type-c to type-c cable which was quite unwieldy due to the cable itself being covered in a metal sleeve, kind of like a shower hose. I changed it for a newer L-shaped design with a much more flexible transparent resin coating and while it looks prettier and is much more convenient, I immediately felt the difference in sound and it wasn't for the better. It's relative minor, of course, but noticable nevertheless.

Too bad that the old one was so rigid that it even preferred to bend in the connectors instead of the cable part itself, so I just had to ditch it.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #185 of 351
Yep, I do. It's feels like G5 is not shielded at all. Apart from crackling/popping noises you get from wireless interfaces being active in proximity, it also picks up a low level monotone static noise which is not so distinct and easy to pick up, but decreases dynamic range of the music somewhat (makes it sound less clear and "open"). That's a shame, really.

I've mastered myself a silly contraption from 2 plastic inserts from smartphone packaging and ~3 mm of layered aluminum foil sandwiched in between, which serves as a case/buffer between the source device and G5 and alleviates the issue to a certain degree. Obviously, it can be managed better if one has some resources and time to spare. For me that is not the case, though.

Here it is, for folk's amusement.
Wow. that seems really a good solution.

my only grievances about G5 are the RFI problems (both my fiio BTR7 is dead silent even put next to phone or other radio signal sources) and the lack of track control on the device. it's almost a year and it's about time topping introduce a next gen problem to fix these problems!

Apr 30, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #187 of 351
Same problem here :frowning2:
My phone needs to be at least 30cm away from G5
I really love G5´s sound but that interference issue is annoying and I am not sure if I´m keeping it therefore.
It´s not the end of the world and can be avoided but still it´s a bummer.
Really strange that not all units seem to have that issue.
Are more users in here without any interference noises?

Side question:
I really like G5´s sound especially on high gain because it gives more sparkle to warm IEM
Will i get similar clean/crisp/sparkly sound with DX3 Pro+ ?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #188 of 351
I really love G5´s sound but that interference issue is annoying and I am not sure if I´m keeping it therefore.

Side question:
I really like G5´s sound especially on high gain because it gives more sparkle to warm IEM

Sorry, can't say anything on DX3 Pro+. But may I ask which IEMs do you use with G5 on high gain? I only have Variations at the time, but they're not the most sensitive pair out there and I wouldn't dare to try them on high gain with this device. I haven't gone past eleven o'clock on the potentiometer on medium gain ever.

May 1, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #189 of 351
Still no Mojo/Hugo comparison?

May 1, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #190 of 351
Sorry, can't say anything on DX3 Pro+. But may I ask which IEMs do you use with G5 on high gain? I only have Variations at the time, but they're not the most sensitive pair out there and I wouldn't dare to try them on high gain with this device. I haven't gone past eleven o'clock on the potentiometer on medium gain ever.
I use Legend Evo.
I don't crank the volume to extreme levels. It's just that on high gain treble is a bit more pronounced to my ears

May 1, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #191 of 351

Side question:
Havent heard DX3 Pro+ to compare but since it also has an ESS DAC and Toppings NFCA amplifier topology, I would think it would at least be similar.

May 5, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #192 of 351
Still no Mojo/Hugo comparison?
I bought a G5 and L30 II myself and here are my thoughts:

Disclaimer: the Hugo 2 is used with the green filter (as I think it sounds better than stock) and no crossfeed (for a fair comparison, even though I usually listen with the crossfeed on). I don't take the cost into consideration in my evaluation of sound. The headphone used is the Intime Sora Light 2019.

My preference:

Hugo 2 to L30 II >>> Hugo 2 to G5 > Hugo 2:
- G5's amp actually helps Hugo 2's bass hit considerably deeper
- But L30 II takes it to another level: even deeper bass, more nuance in the bass and treble, and a vastly bigger soundstage and more open sound.

Hugo 2 >= G5:
- G5 reminds me a lot of the RME ADI-2. More extended at the top and bottom end then the Hugo2. Hugo 2 has a more vivid midrange than the G5; not just louder, but actually better imaging and depth. For my preference, Hugo 2 takes the slight edge if I have to pick 1, but I totally prefer the G5 when using a more mid-centric IEM like my E500.

G5 >>> G5 to L30 II:
- Connected to the L30 II, G5's midrange becomes more recessed and congested. Maybe G5 and L30 II are both slightly V-shaped after all?

Conclusion: I need to look into the NX7; it might solve a lot of problems.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #193 of 351
Has anyone tried G5 with HD600 ?

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #194 of 351
Has anyone tried G5 with HD600 ?

I just tried my G5 with my HD6XX. On high gain, the G5 provides more than enough power to get loud enough. However, I strongly feel the HD6XX needs either a lot more power at low output impedance (or a high output impedance amp) to sound its absolute best.

That being said, the G5 works in a pinch and sounds great with the HD6xx. I would just clarify that I don't believe the G5 is an ideal mate for this headphone.

My use case is pretty different - I almost always use the G5 when I'm working away from home. It plugs into my laptop and I use the HQPlayer on the laptop to upsample to 16fs / 32 bit PCM. I also use it almost exclusively with IEMs. It's a fun player and sounds great. I have some minor ground loop issues once in awhile so I'm waiting on a TOPPING HS02 USB2.0 Audio Isolator.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back