Topping G5
Nov 18, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #137 of 351
Is 1.50 still the most recent firmware? If so, mine came with 1.50 so I can't speak to any sound changes due to firmware.

Huh? Interesting. Topping has changed the reconstruction filter after the default one prooved to be controversial among the audiosciencereviews folks for having an early roll-off. The "new" filter doesn't have this issue, but it's attenuation after the Nyquist frequency is worse. The "stock" filter was a compromise chosen by Topping since they've considered potential aliasing to be a bigger concern.
Sadly, the only way to change the filter is through a patch via PC and I'm not sure if it's possible to revert to the previous firmware and it's stock filter after that. I think I've got my unit with an older firmware going by the sound but I'm somewhat hesitant to update it.

How to check the firmware version?

I believe that you can do it via utility app provided by Topping on their site. It should be in the same archive as the firmware itself.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #139 of 351
Huh? Interesting. Topping has changed the reconstruction filter after the default one prooved to be controversial among the audiosciencereviews folks for having an early roll-off. The "new" filter doesn't have this issue, but it's attenuation after the Nyquist frequency is worse. The "stock" filter was a compromise chosen by Topping since they've considered potential aliasing to be a bigger concern.
Sadly, the only way to change the filter is through a patch via PC and I'm not sure if it's possible to revert to the previous firmware and it's stock filter after that. I think I've got my unit with an older firmware going by the sound but I'm somewhat hesitant to update it.

I believe that you can do it via utility app provided by Topping on their site. It should be in the same archive as the firmware itself.
I saw that thread on ASR and read the test report.
At any rate, I guess that Topping decided to release the newer G5's with 1.50 already installed.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #144 of 351
I don't think the Sony has a line out so it's not as ideal but you could connect the single ended 3.5mm headphone out of the sony to the 3.5mm input of the G5 so you would be using the G5 only as an amplifier. But if all you want is a stronger amplifier, it would make more sense to buy something like the Topping NX7 which is just an amplifier, not a DAC and amp. It's also less expensive and has a bit more power.

Topping NX7

Nov 21, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #145 of 351
I don't think the Sony has a line out so it's not as ideal but you could connect the single ended 3.5mm headphone out of the sony to the 3.5mm input of the G5 so you would be using the G5 only as an amplifier. But if all you want is a stronger amplifier, it would make more sense to buy something like the Topping NX7 which is just an amplifier, not a DAC and amp. It's also less expensive and has a bit more power.

Topping NX7
Thank you. In fact, I did purchase the NX7 and it’s on the way.

Dec 18, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #147 of 351
Hi folks, my review of Topping G5 is online on Head-fi as well as my personal blog.

Topping G5 is a versatile source. It can be used as a desktop all-in-one, a Bluetooth portable DAC/amp, a portable amplifier, and even a DAC for speakers. It also offers good build quality and excellent handling. The sound quality of the G5 is also excellent. Its desktop effect is addictive, especially if you listen to many complex mixes and recordings. This effect puts G5 one solid step above most dongle DAC/amps.

The main drawback of G5 is the EMI noise. I choose to work around this issue rather than buy a different one because this kind of device is rarely available at this price point. Suppose you are okay with some infrequent noises when stacking your phone on the amp. Topping G5 can be a practical endgame for your portable audio, especially if you do not want a digital audio player.

Pros:

• Analog volume pot
  • Neutral, uncoloured midrange tonality
  • Pitch black background with sensitive IEMs.
  • Punchy and dynamic presentation with most IEMs
  • Expand the soundstage of most IEMs
  • Volume can be low enough to work with sensitive IEMs
  • Enough power to fully drive most head-fi gears
Cons:

• Channel imbalance at low volume
  • Susceptible to EMI noises
ToppingG5_14.JPG

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #148 of 351
How does DH80 compare to AP80 Pro? I’m not entirely satisfied with my AP80 Pro X, though it sounds quite good in a vacuum. Looking for a way improve the DAP so I don’t have to use G5 all the time and burn through battery cycles.
Think I missed this post and probably too late now but ... DH80 IMHO is a big upgrade to AP80 PRO alone. As I mentioned before, I had a hard time listening to the AP80 Pro on it's own. I found it bass light, cold and thin. The Pro X has a different DAC chip and I've never heard it so not sure how it compares to the regular pro. But IMO, the AP80 Pro paired with the DH80 is a very respectable listen. The sound is fuller overall with much better bottom end. Still a linear signature overall but no longer thin with the grating treble glare that I hear listening straight out of the AP80 Pro. The AP80 Pro belonged to my wife. If I had bought it for myself I would have returned it pretty quickly. My wife passed away in June and after a little while, for whatever reason, I felt compelled to put it to use. The DH80 made it a usable DAP for me. Of course, the G5 is a clear step up. But I could still enjoy it paired with the DH80.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #149 of 351
My wife passed away in June
So sorry to hear this. I hope that you are surrounded by friends, family, and love, with many memories of the two of you together to draw joy and comfort from until you are reunited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back