Topping G5
Nov 12, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #121 of 351
The resolution of the G5 is better than the BTR7 but the imaging on the BTR7 is crazy, it's very nimble and vivid. One thing I've noticed is that with the G5 I can listen to music and focus on other things; the BTR7 is too immersive for that, you're almost more of a participant than a listener.

Still, the G5 is an incredible device. I returned the DX240 recently and I think the G5 is definitely better than it (stock and AMP8 MKII).
I think I understand what you are saying. I was getting spacial cues that were pretty exciting. It gave a different dimension to my music. I just didn't like how the BTR7 gave elevation to the treble and the static/popping I got when connected directly to my iPhone. Also, the equalizer function does not seem to function when connected by OTG cable to the iPhone. If using just Bluetooth, I can seen why someone would like the BTR7. Just not for me. The BTR7 I received last week is going back.

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #122 of 351
The resolution of the G5 is better than the BTR7 but the imaging on the BTR7 is crazy, it's very nimble and vivid. One thing I've noticed is that with the G5 I can listen to music and focus on other things; the BTR7 is too immersive for that, you're almost more of a participant than a listener.

Still, the G5 is an incredible device. I returned the DX240 recently and I think the G5 is definitely better than it (stock and AMP8 MKII).
You think it is better than DX240 even with AMP card?

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #123 of 351
I think I understand what you are saying. I was getting spacial cues that were pretty exciting. It gave a different dimension to my music. I just didn't like how the BTR7 gave elevation to the treble and the static/popping I got when connected directly to my iPhone. Also, the equalizer function does not seem to function when connected by OTG cable to the iPhone. If using just Bluetooth, I can seen why someone would like the BTR7. Just not for me. The BTR7 I received last week is going back.
I returned mine as well, I like the G5 more than the BTR7. I also prefer the BTR5 to the BTR7 because the presentation is a little more exciting, you can dial in the exact impedance and sensitivity of your headphones which makes an audible difference for the output and it's much smaller and better designed (the sharp edges of the BTR7 are ridiculous).

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #124 of 351
You think it is better than DX240 even with AMP card?
Sound wise I do. The DX240 sounds excellent but the G5 is more resolving and I can't stress enough how pure and clean the sound is.

It's not to the extent that I don't see how someone could prefer the 240 but the G5 over Bluetooth sounds as good if not better than the 240 straight from the device to me, which completely eliminates the use of a DAP. Topping created a formidable device at a very reasonable price, they should be proud of themselves.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #125 of 351
Sound wise I do. The DX240 sounds excellent but the G5 is more resolving and I can't stress enough how pure and clean the sound is.

It's not to the extent that I don't see how someone could prefer the 240 but the G5 over Bluetooth sounds as good if not better than the 240 straight from the device to me which completely eliminates the use of a DAP. Topping created a formidable device at a very reasonable price, they should be proud of themselves.

Agree about G5 over bluetooth (AAC, not even LDAC) sounds surprisingly good. In A/B, I can hear loss in treble air, but the soundstage does not collapse like my other bluetooth dongles over AAC (BTR5 2019 and UP4 2022). I’m surprised that I use G5 with bluetooth very often, not just for travelling to work.

I also think that G5 is an excellent deal. It serves as both an iFi Gryphon and a BTR7. If you stack an old phone on top, you have a clunky but usable DAP replacement as well. Its sound beats all of my USB dongles, across most of my transducers.

My only concern is that I would wear out the battery of G5 as I don’t want to use anything else in my collection if I don’t have to :dt880smile:

Edit: The shielding of G5 is quite poor though. Stacking or even putting an iPhone next to it can produce random static noise. No problem with BTr5 or UP4.

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #126 of 351

It's not to the extent that I don't see how someone could prefer the 240 but the G5 over Bluetooth sounds as good if not better than the 240 straight from the device to me, which completely eliminates the use of a DAP. Topping created a formidable device at a very reasonable price, they should be proud of themselves.
How about output power ?

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #127 of 351
How about output power ?
The G5 drove my HD6XX better than the stock DX240 amp and as good as the AMP8 MK2. None of them drive it with full authority. I only use these with IEMs so they're all massively powerful for my use case.

I will say that the DX240 distorts less than the G5 on high gain at the highest volumes.

Nov 15, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #129 of 351
The G5 drove my HD6XX better than the stock DX240 amp and as good as the AMP8 MK2. None of them drive it with full authority. I only use these with IEMs so they're all massively powerful for my use case.

I will say that the DX240 distorts less than the G5 on high gain at the highest volumes.
Into which headphone / headphones?

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #132 of 351
No interference at all with stacking a Hidizs AP80 Pro on top of the G5 but I'm connected USB.
It seems to be a particular problem with iOS device and bluetooth. When G5 is in bluetooth mode and I put it near my phone, when my phone does certain things (swapping between wifi and 4g, for example), static noise or popping sound appear. My Android without SIM card inside has no problem whatsoever. This random static noise is the only thing that I can complain about.

Nov 16, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #133 of 351
My 6XX. You'll never get anywhere near distortion level volume on either of those devices with IEMs.
Didn't have an issue at all driving my Sundaras on high gain. 2:00 was as loud as I'd listen and it seemed to have plenty of headroom as I nudged the knob past my comfort zone. I imagine it would drive the Meze 99's on mid gain no problem. Didn't try it with my high z Beyers. I'm not planning on using any headphones with it but wanted to check it out on low z planars. Sundara isn't particularly hard to drive. Not for a planar anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back