Topping DX7?
Sep 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Protek67

Head-Fier
I already have this in the mail just thought I'd get some thought's on it. The stat's don't look amazing but it's balanced and has a good review on this site and it has a balanced output. I guess the output impedance looks high and the power produced isn't so great, but really I don't know what most of that means.

I only have Blue Lola's and a pair of HiFiMan HE-400i's are in the mail. Not sure how well they will match these can's but I heard a neutral source goes well with the 400i's. Also have a balanced cable coming for the hifimans.

Guess I'm just looking for thought's, can't wait for it all to get here so thought I'd make a post.

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 11
The higher output impedance works fine with most things.
But it depends on the headphones.
The thing is that you can always output balanced to other things if you really need it.
And even if you don't use the inbuilt amp you can use its outputs for headphone amp's.
It also has Coax passthrough which is pretty cool.

I personally love mine and use it all day every day, the level of detail retrevial is incredible.
I compared it against the SMSL M8 & M8A, Topping D30 and Schiit Modi Multibit aswell as the FiiO K1 and the Fulla 2.

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 11
Got mine in the mail today and i'm loving it. I got some time in on my Little bear P7 tube amp with my HifiMan HE-400i's so I have a baseline to compare to, and I am very happy. I almost had a panic attack when the thing did nothing after turning it on, ended up being the 110/220 switch set wrong lol. But I'm on a listening session now. I'm thinking of getting a mic attachment for these headphones and give my sennheiser gaming headset to my blind friend as part of my vision for his setup. The gaming headset is my daily and the tube amp and a pair of can's was only for sessions, but now that I don't have to worry about the heat I don't know if I can go back to anything but this.

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 11
Got mine in the mail today and i'm loving it. I got some time in on my Little bear P7 tube amp with my HifiMan HE-400i's so I have a baseline to compare to, and I am very happy. I almost had a panic attack when the thing did nothing after turning it on, ended up being the 110/220 switch set wrong lol. But I'm on a listening session now. I'm thinking of getting a mic attachment for these headphones and give my sennheiser gaming headset to my blind friend as part of my vision for his setup. The gaming headset is my daily and the tube amp and a pair of can's was only for sessions, but now that I don't have to worry about the heat I don't know if I can go back to anything but this.
So you are just using the line out?

Have you tried the internal amp yet?

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 11
No I have only used the internal amp, but on that note I gave my power amp a go on the *un-balanced output's and though I haven't done any testing........... haven't heard anything worse in my life than this pair of bookshelves. Granted it might be that I am diving deeper into the head-fi rabbit hole (that is where I'm not experiencing better quality audio rather every last piece of audio equipment outside of my can's just get's worse) but I really don't remember them sounding so horrible. I will have to switch thing's around and test my bookshelf speakers in other configurations to get the full picture. I have a schiit stack here that I can test as well so I will know if it's a horrible line out on this DX7, poor speakers, or a placebo affect. *oh and I don't believe I ever put a FLAC through these speakers

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 11
No I have only used the internal amp, but on that note I gave my power amp a go on the *un-balanced output's and though I haven't done any testing........... haven't heard anything worse in my life than this pair of bookshelves. Granted it might be that I am diving deeper into the head-fi rabbit hole (that is where I'm not experiencing better quality audio rather every last piece of audio equipment outside of my can's just get's worse) but I really don't remember them sounding so horrible. I will have to switch thing's around and test my bookshelf speakers in other configurations to get the full picture. I have a schiit stack here that I can test as well so I will know if it's a horrible line out on this DX7, poor speakers, or a placebo affect. *oh and I don't believe I ever put a FLAC through these speakers

I use the line out on my DX7 all the time.
Its perfectly fine.
But the DX7 has a ton of detail and will reveal poor recordings or poor speakers / headphones faster as you will notice the lack of detail (unless all your gear sucks lol) pretty quickly.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 11
I get a hard thump at 100-200hz on my Polk TSi-100's that I haven't heard before. Granted these speakers are sub-par, I couldn't let the thump go. I don't think I pushed anything other than one specific lossless album through them, but it was painful to listen to. Also I'm guessing on the frequency, I attempted muting or emphasizing it on the foobar eq, but it was tough to pin down. I do look forward to figuring out tuning speakers though. I'm in the process of getting rid of my other desk and the computers on it to put a couch in my computer room. Have sort of wanted a listening room. Ever since getting my refurbished (expensive ass) Denon AVR and hating the (richer) sound signature, I have had the desire to get a mic and analyze audio signatures and make that part of my new hobby.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 11
I get a hard thump at 100-200hz on my Polk TSi-100's that I haven't heard before. Granted these speakers are sub-par, I couldn't let the thump go. I don't think I pushed anything other than one specific lossless album through them, but it was painful to listen to. Also I'm guessing on the frequency, I attempted muting or emphasizing it on the foobar eq, but it was tough to pin down. I do look forward to figuring out tuning speakers though. I'm in the process of getting rid of my other desk and the computers on it to put a couch in my computer room. Have sort of wanted a listening room. Ever since getting my refurbished (expensive ass) Denon AVR and hating the (richer) sound signature, I have had the desire to get a mic and analyze audio signatures and make that part of my new hobby.

Cool stuff, I haven't had any chance to get into recording and measurements.

As far as your speakers I'm not sure how good they are but I instantly found details in songs I hadn't heard before and actually thought my DX7 was broken due to some artifacts / scratching that I heard in a couple songs which I had heard many times prior to having the DX7.

Honestly in the first couple days of having it I thought it's entire existence was pointless. But after I realized that the DX7 wasn't bad but some of the recordings were I really started to like the additional details in the well recorded tracks!

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 11
Such is the world of HiFi I am learning, the source you use can easily be the downfall of everything you have put together. It can be painful to listen to sub-par recordings. But at the same time I find that even low quality streams are more enjoyable.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #11 of 11
Such is the world of HiFi I am learning, the source you use can easily be the downfall of everything you have put together. It can be painful to listen to sub-par recordings. But at the same time I find that even low quality streams are more enjoyable.
You will enjoy many things more with a better DAC/Amp.
It also depends on how much you liked your previous Amp.
For me I came from the Topping D30 which is already pretty good, which I used to alternate with the SMSL M8. I bought an M8A and it was no different from the M8, got a great deal on the DX7 and haven't looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back