Topping D90
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #991 of 1,101
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #992 of 1,101
You can do this hack by covering th 5v pin.

9381aafc0a0e24bff988d33f6a605d146447eba4.jpeg

Or you could buy those usb extensions w/ on/off switches.

Or cables w/ no 5v power at all

On windows you could disable it on your Advanced Power Settings.
Thanks. I'll try it in Advanced Power Settings.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #993 of 1,101
In my quest for more info on the best Dac at a reasonable price, what I've gathered about the D90 is that it's very clean, punchy, fast, and very detailed, it's just got a smaller, more intimate soundstage, sorta a 2D sound characteristic to it. I ended up choosing the Denafrips Ares 2.

Aug 17, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #995 of 1,101
Are Topping drivers "universal" between models? I have a D30 currently but I have a D90SE arriving tomorrow to replace it. Is there a separate driver for the D90? I'm assuming uninstall the old XMOS driver for the D30 if there's a different driver.

Aug 17, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #996 of 1,101
Are Topping drivers "universal" between models? I have a D30 currently but I have a D90SE arriving tomorrow to replace it. Is there a separate driver for the D90? I'm assuming uninstall the old XMOS driver for the D30 if there's a different driver.
D30 has a pirated driver and never updated, as in meantime XMOS/TheSycon had updated protection. D90 driver has an official OEM driver.

Both drivers should work together, I have two XMOS devices using pirated XMOS drivers, both have different OEM IDs. One is D30. The official D90 driver should be installed as a second one. It should work, but I had bad experience with D30 and decided to not go with Topping anymore, it is just educated quess.

If you run an updated version of Win10 or above, both D30 and D90 will play with Windows built-in drivers in UAC 2.0 mode, so I suggest to uninstall D30 drivers. Drivers are only needed if you want to use ASIO interface.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #997 of 1,101
Hi all,

I am considering to purchase D90SE (the old D90 with AKM chip is no longer a available except on the Classifieds, at least so far as I can tell. I am a Roon user and connect my DACs downstream from a Sonore MicroRendu that is Roon-ready; however Topping is not listed among Roon-tested devices. Does Roon recognize Topping D90SE?

Sep 6, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #998 of 1,101
Hi all,

I am considering to purchase D90SE (the old D90 with AKM chip is no longer a available except on the Classifieds, at least so far as I can tell. I am a Roon user and connect my DACs downstream from a Sonore MicroRendu that is Roon-ready; however Topping is not listed among Roon-tested devices. Does Roon recognize Topping D90SE?

It doesn't matter whether Roon recognizes the DAC or not out of the MicroRendu as long as the MicroRendu is streaming digital audio out of the USB.

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #999 of 1,101
It doesn't matter whether Roon recognizes the DAC or not out of the MicroRendu as long as the MicroRendu is streaming digital audio out of the USB.
The underlying question is : does it matter whether the DAC is Roon-tested? And how does it work in practice if the DAC is not Roon-tested? My experience running Roon via the Sonore so far is that Roon identifies the brand of the DAC (my current one is an IFI micro iDSD, a Roon-tested DAC/Amp, Roon identifies IFI AMR) and then asks me to select the actual DAC model among a list of other IFI Roon-tested devices. What in practice occurs when a Topping DAC is at the end of the chain, and is there any choice provided? Regardless, how does the Topping D90(SE) perform via Roon vs via a direct source, given other elements of the system are the same and functional; and that the streamer (MicroRendu) is also fully functional?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,000 of 1,101
The underlying question is : does it matter whether the DAC is Roon-tested? And how does it work in practice if the DAC is not Roon-tested? My experience running Roon via the Sonore so far is that Roon identifies the brand of the DAC (my current one is an IFI micro iDSD, a Roon-tested DAC/Amp, Roon identifies IFI AMR) and then asks me to select the actual DAC model among a list of other IFI Roon-tested devices. What in practice occurs when a Topping DAC is at the end of the chain, and is there any choice provided? Regardless, how does the Topping D90(SE) perform via Roon vs via a direct source, given other elements of the system are the same and functional; and that the streamer (MicroRendu) is also fully functional?
Roon shouldn't be doing any special bit-perfect optimizations regardless whether the DAC is Roon-tested or not. I use Roon myself regularly through a streamer (like your microrendu for example) and not direct to the computer and it cannot detect my DAC connected through the streamer and everything plays bit-perfect anyways (Roon only sees "Digital Audio Output" at the end of the chain. If you're connecting directly, you can use ASIO to make every DAC work directly with Roon (tested or untested)

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #1,001 of 1,101
Roon shouldn't be doing any special bit-perfect optimizations regardless whether the DAC is Roon-tested or not. I use Roon myself regularly through a streamer (like your microrendu for example) and not direct to the computer and it cannot detect my DAC connected through the streamer and everything plays bit-perfect anyways (Roon only sees "Digital Audio Output" at the end of the chain. If you're connecting directly, you can use ASIO to make every DAC work directly with Roon (tested or untested)
Thanks much - that’s what I hoped.

Sep 12, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #1,002 of 1,101
Just purchased D90SE from Headphones.com. Also read this review by @Soundnews which describe D90SE as extremely dynamic BUT he was using an expensive power conditioner that he separately reviewed as very impactful on t e rest of his chain, the Plixir Elite BAC 400, which sells in the US for $1600. Has anyone watching this thread experienced similar sonic differences after adding a power conditioner, and if so do you have any other recommendations? Since D90SE requires a standard power cord, tbe power conditioner should similarly have 3-prong outlets (or whatever is appropriate to ones D90SE configuration).

Sep 20, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #1,004 of 1,101
Hi all,

I have the D90LE which Roon recognizes. Also soon to be available on Classifieds, if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back