Topping D90
Jan 2, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #706 of 1,101
received singxer su2. the D90 is elevated greatly with it in the chain. it's a keeper. using aq carbon input into d90.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #707 of 1,101
received singxer su2. the D90 is elevated greatly with it in the chain. it's a keeper. using aq carbon input into d90.
This one?

Singxer SU-2 DSD1024 USB Digital Interface Femtosecond Clock Interface — HiFiGo

I was wondering if that would help - did you use it to convert from USB to Optical / Coax or I2S?

Please describe the setup details, configuration/setup of the SU-2 in the data chain :)
I amusing the Cayin N6ii DAP as a digital transport with the Topping D90 via I2S. You just have to make a couple of changes to the software-defined pinouts in the D90’s menu. It works perfectly and sounds a little better than using USB. One big benefit you get is that you get a fully MQA unfolded data stream sent from the N6ii to the D90. This means that you don’t really need to buy the MQA version of the D90 if you want MQA.

I play local FLAC files and stream TIDAL and Qobuz from the N6ii to the D90.

One thing you should be aware of is I2S ‘standards’. There mostly aren’t any standards! Many I2S interfaces use PS Audio’s implementation of I2S, many don’t. What I do know is that the N6ii and D90 work over I2S.
That is great to hear. Did a straight through stock HDMI cable work, or what is the wiring end to end you used to accomplish the I2S connection?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #708 of 1,101
That is great to hear. Did a straight through stock HDMI cable work, or what is the wiring end to end you used to accomplish the I2S connection?

Any regular, high-quality HDMI should work. I used a mini-HDMI to regular HDMI cable. The cable needs to conform to the HDMI specification even though no HDMI data is used. I had to alter a couple of settings in the D90's menus for I2S to soft-configure the pins correctly. Hence, you should be able to get it working with most source devices, particularly if they implement I2S to the PS Audio specification. Unfortunately there's no real standard for I2S pinouts, which is why some of the pins are configurable on the D90.

There's an online spreadsheet for various device pinouts here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h5PMUBkldkpt1rCnAR4ZHYGZNeCe-vwIFyKWYMZWsX0/htmlview#

Click on the HDMI I2S Format tab. You can check in that spreadsheet to see how various manufacturers implement their I2S pinouts. Here is the Topping D90 pinouts:

ivcPOP5.jpg

So you match one of the images above with the pinouts from your audio source device's I2S pinouts and configure the D90 in its menu settings to the same pinout configuration as your source device.

I hope that helps!

Jan 4, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #709 of 1,101
This one?

Singxer SU-2 DSD1024 USB Digital Interface Femtosecond Clock Interface — HiFiGo

I was wondering if that would help - did you use it to convert from USB to Optical / Coax or I2S?

Please describe the setup details, configuration/setup of the SU-2 in the data chain :)

Yup that one. Standard HDMI cable. Tried amazon .5m cable, wireworld uv 7 and AQ carbon. So far like latter the best. In SU-2, change dip setting to make compatible with D90 (3+7). I didn't have to change any setting in D90.

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #710 of 1,101
I'll try again tonight. I can access the D90's software on my computer, I've changed usb inputs, the computer is "seeing" the D90. I'll try and shut down and restart in the order tonight.
So I'm coming back to my firmware issue from a few weeks back. I've now connected a Imac. My issue now is when I download the firmware there is only a .bin file and .txt file there is no .exe file. The .bin file won't open. My computer does "see' the D90 and it is on and connected. Any answers?

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #712 of 1,101
So I'm coming back to my firmware issue from a few weeks back. I've now connected a Imac. My issue now is when I download the firmware there is only a .bin file and .txt file there is no .exe file. The .bin file won't open. My computer does "see' the D90 and it is on and connected. Any answers?

Did you download the Mac firmware package? I think the bin file is the actual firmware file. As for an exe file, you cannot run those on an iMac as they are windows executable files. I‘ve just had a very quick look at the macOS download ZIP file.it looks like the README file may be wrong. If you are using a Mac computer then extract the ZIP file contents first. Then double-click on the .app file to run the installer. You should then be able to choose the bin file from the installer program.

I have the regular D90 so there’s no firmware update for it, so I haven’t actually tried any of this out. However, you do need to download the correct package for your operating system. You should find a bin file, a README file and a .app file for the macOS package.

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #714 of 1,101
Is this update also applicable to D90 MQA version? I don't see D90 MQA specified.
i think it is. there is firmware update specific to D90 mqa but the driver is for both D90 models.

Jan 18, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #715 of 1,101
The bin file won't open. I downloaded the firmware for mac and there are three files in the download, the .bin, the readme.txt and the Topping usb dfu (app). When I try to open the .bin I get an error msg. "Unable to expand "D90 MQA" it is an unsupported format.

Jan 18, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #716 of 1,101
The bin file won't open. I downloaded the firmware for mac and there are three files in the download, the .bin, the readme.txt and the Topping usb dfu (app). When I try to open the .bin I get an error msg. "Unable to expand "D90 MQA" it is an unsupported format.

You cannot run the .bin file on a Mac. It is the firmware file for the D90. Here are step by step instructions with screenshots. Use them at your own risk as I am running this 'blind' as I do not have a D90 MQA DAC - I have the regular D90 for which there is no new firmware. Make sure your D90 MQA is connected to your Mac via a USB cable.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT OF WHAT TO DO!!!

1. Go to this site: https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/396959.html

2. Click on the link for Firmware and tools for MAC: Download here to download the ZIP file for macOS:
joHQkVh.jpg

3. After the ZIP file is downloaded and extracted, go to the extracted folder and you will see three files:
re4dcex.jpg

4. Double-click on the Topping USB DFU file. You will get a warning:
kBi38go.jpg

5ffhE2i.jpg

5. The firmware update application will open. Click on Browse and then locate the D90 MQA FW1.24(20G).bin and select it:
VnPUPhM.jpg

kBi38go.jpg

6. Check the top-left of the window to see if your D90 MQA has been detected and that the current firmware is older than the firmware you are trying to update to. If that is the case then click on Start:
JXLOrok.jpg

REMEMBER: You do this at your own risk!
If you are unsure of what to do then please contact Topping support.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #717 of 1,101
Taz777, I really appreciate your help. Your walkthrough worked perfect. All updated and working as good as knew. The D90 is an amazing piece of kit for the $$.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #718 of 1,101
Taz777, I really appreciate your help. Your walkthrough worked perfect. All updated and working as good as knew. The D90 is an amazing piece of kit for the $$.

You're welcome! And, yes, I cannot believe just how good the D90 is. Tremendous sound, incredible flexibility and TOTL DAC chips. Superb value.

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #719 of 1,101
Hi all,
Got the A90 + D90 (MQA) stack here and I am trying to get everything up and running with Tidal MQA (bare with me as I am not very experienced).

Iphone 12 (Tidal Masters) >> USB >> D90 (DAC only) >> XLR >> A90 (HPA) >> 6.5mm output to my Sundaras.

Trying to run MQA from Tidal based on the above setup but only get "OFS" on the D90 screen, shouldn't it say MQA. for instance when playing Coldplay X&Y?

Anyone have any clue what I could be doing wrong?

Jan 25, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #720 of 1,101
Hi all,
Got the A90 + D90 (MQA) stack here and I am trying to get everything up and running with Tidal MQA (bare with me as I am not very experienced).

Iphone 12 (Tidal Masters) >> USB >> D90 (DAC only) >> XLR >> A90 (HPA) >> 6.5mm output to my Sundaras.

Trying to run MQA from Tidal based on the above setup but only get "OFS" on the D90 screen, shouldn't it say MQA. for instance when playing Coldplay X&Y?

Anyone have any clue what I could be doing wrong?

I'm not sure what OFS means.

For the bit in bold: can you specify or show exactly which cables you are using? You would need an Apple CCK cable (the old one or the new one plus a regular USB-A to USB-B cable (i.e. printer cable) to connect your iPhone to your MQA D90.

The next check to make is to make sure that you have a TIDAL HiFi account.

Then check that your settings in the TIDAL app on your iPhone are set to Masters quality for streaming.

Then check that you are playing a TIDAL Master song - it should have an amber 'M' next to the song in the TIDAL app on your iPhone.

I would test things out for you, but I only have the regular D90, not the MQA version. Your MQA D90 should be detected by the iPhone/TIDAL app and, after the first MQA unfold in the TIDAL app, the resulting datastream should be sent to the D90 for the remaining two unfolds. Can you take a photo of the D90's display to show us what you are seeing? The sample rate displayed on the D90 should be either 352kHz or 384kHz if your MQ D90 is unfolding a Masters track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back