Topping D90
Apr 6, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #76 of 1,101
I like my D90 but prefer my RME ADI-2 DAC on my main system. The soundstage and bass sound more natural.

Hi. Would you mind going into more detail about the differences between the two?

What are the differences between the bass and the soundstage?

I currently have a D90 and I like it a lot. However, if you're some the RME sounds more accurate/neutral, I'm very curious, as that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Apr 6, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #77 of 1,101
Hi. Would you mind going into more detail about the differences between the two?

What are the differences between the bass and the soundstage?

I currently have a D90 and I like it a lot. However, if you're some the RME sounds more accurate/neutral, I'm very curious, as that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

On my main system the RME sounded slightly more natural (not neutral)..bit more depth in soundstage, less dry bass..but the differences are subtle..(and on my particular system and room)
I don't think the RME is better perse, just different, both sound very accurate to me, I could live with any of the two and be happy.

If you're looking for more accurate/neutral the RME would be a side grade at best IMO..

hope this helps.

Apr 6, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #78 of 1,101
On my main system the RME sounded slightly more natural (not neutral)..bit more depth in soundstage, less dry bass..but the differences are subtle..(and on my particular system and room)
I don't think the RME is better perse, just different, both sound very accurate to me, I could live with any of the two and be happy.

If you're looking for more accurate/neutral the RME would be a side grade at best IMO..

hope this helps.
Ahhhh, got it.

Thanks!

Apr 6, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #82 of 1,101
Ordered my topping d 90 today. Hopefully it's a noticeable upgrade from my modi multibit.

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #83 of 1,101
Could someone sanity check this diagram please? This is how I plan to use the Topping D90 in my audio chain. My Cayin N6ii will act as a digital transport. I'll use the balanced XLR outputs of the D90 to feed my Arcam rHead headphone amp.

rKubQ4v.jpg

Also, does anyone have a decent user manual in English for the Topping D90? The one on Topping's site is just awful and very hard to read.

Apr 7, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #85 of 1,101
Seems good as long as it's the correct I2S

Indeed, that is my concern. My backup plan is to use the USB-C port as a digital output: for this I plan to use an USB-C OTG cable (USB-C to female USB-A) and then plug a short printer cable (USB Type-A to Type-B) into the OTG to connect to the USB 2.0 Type-B input on the D90. I think that would work. But I'm really keen to get the I2S interface working first.

Apr 9, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #86 of 1,101
It's been a little over a month since I got my Topping D90, which has exclusively fed my iFi Pro iCAN. I'm satisfied with it, other than:
  • USB signal implementation is trash. The connection goes to sleep after a few seconds of no signal, causing an audible pop. (See page 2)
  • USB power filtering is poor. I can hear noise with the USB cable plugged in. I don't care what any silly graphs state otherwise. It's audible to the point where I had to switch to optical.
  • The display can't be turned off. I've had to put electrical tape over the display because I find it distracting when watching movies.
Considering this is one of the only DACs with the AK4499 chip, I'm willing to forgive its flaws. But it's a $700 DAC, and at that price point, I expected zero issues. Oh well.

Apr 10, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #87 of 1,101
  • USB signal implementation is trash. The connection goes to sleep after a few seconds of no signal, causing an audible pop. (See page 2)
  • USB power filtering is poor. I can hear noise with the USB cable plugged in. I don't care what any silly graphs state otherwise. It's audible to the point where I had to switch to optical.

This doesn't happen if you use macbookpro.

Apr 12, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #88 of 1,101
Has anyone got a fairly accurate sizing measurement for the D90? Mine is stuck at Heathrow so won't be here for several days at least. I'm thinking of putting my Arcam rHead headphone amp on top of it to minimise the overall footprint. Also, is the D90 made well enough to have an item stacked on it?

My Arcam rHead is 19cm (W) x 12cm (L) x 4.5cm (H) so I'm hoping the D90 is a tiny bit bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back