Topping D90
Jun 3, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #316 of 1,101
Right now I use Fostex TH-X00 Ebony but planning to sell it plus all my other headphones to upgrade to Meze Empyrean. The Fostex gives me earache after an hour or so wearing it. Bought different pads but the sound signature got ruined :frowning2: Now that I'm home all day I want something more comfortable. I use Meridian Explorer 2 as my DAC for casual listening but I pull out my Chord Mojo once in a while. My IEM is great too but it gets uncomfortable after very long listening.

As much as I'm interested in the D90 / A90, I will likely go with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I chatted with a few people and read a lot of users who like it with their Empyrean so that's a safe route for me. On a side note... someone I messaged on ebay who is selling their ADI-2 told me they are keeping the Topping D70 because they don't notice audio difference between the two. They are using LCD-X and LCD-2. Shopping for equipment is too hard because a lot of it is subjective!

Enjoy your brand new dac+amp! I'll be keeping an eye out for updates.
I have the D70 running through a THX AAA 789 and I thought it was bright initially but after several months of use it has calmed down quite a bit or my ears are getting accustomed to it-I'm not sure which. I am intrigued by the D90 simply because of the newer chips. I admit it- I'm a sucker for new tech. Has anyone tried the D90 with any Focal headphones?

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #317 of 1,101
Hi guys good morning. Does it make sense to buy anything else besides a D90 dac at the moment? It seems to have all the latest bells and whistles with the performance chops. What do you owners think? most of my current high end DACS are ESS9018PRO, and ESS9038PRO (matrix audio x-sabre, oppo ha-1, oppo sonica) and I want to try something with the latest AKM chips. I do find the ESS DACS a bit metallic sounding, but I also heard the AKM 4497 DAC and it sounded pretty close to the ESS DACS. Thoughts on AKM 4499?

Jun 3, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #319 of 1,101
What is so special about Apos? I put in order sunday night tracking say I won't receive until next week more then 7 days shipping.
Apos is in the U.S. You don't have to deal with the uncertainty of dealing with a shipment from China. Apos sells a lot of different products so not everything can be in stock all the time. Apos also extends the warranty on a lot of their products. And if you do have a problem you are returning a product to a U.S. dealer, not having to send it to China.

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #320 of 1,101
Just received this set via DHL 5 minutes ago. Very excited to test them out this evening. :L3000:

20200603_151530.jpg

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #322 of 1,101
Jun 3, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #323 of 1,101
Quick first impression.

Sounds impressive. Briefly tried DAC only mode to my desktop active speaker and HPs and both sounded clean (not going into details yet). Used RCA connection from D90>A90. Still awaiting XLR patch cable.

On the other hand, preamp function from A90 didn't work properly. RCA from A90 to powered speaker had way too much static at higher volume. It sounded clean from the DAC though. Not sure what's going on there.

I updated to latest FW. Prior to the update, DSD files didn't play correctly (lots of distortion/static)
And I also downloaded the USB audio driver.

On the note of Topping's USB audio driver control panel,
What should the preferred ASIO buffer size be? And what does safe mode do? It's checked by default.

Thanks.

Jun 3, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #324 of 1,101
Definitely. I'm on day 5 and have adjusted to the brightness a bit, but it still sounds enough like it's digging into my ears that I have to turn down the volume on my Aeon2. Or I have to dampen the sound with one of the Aeon2 filter pads, and I don't like doing that because the airiness of the sound suffers. I tried an AK4493 DAC with the A90 and it sounded way less piercing, so it's not the amp at least.
It’s a magnifier of cables for sure- usb xlr and rca all make a difference - even power cable. This dac shows all the changes and I love it for that. Have you tried DSD512 files - omg amazing once you dial it all in. I use the PASS amp but I just ordered a decked out Bottlehead crack Speed ball With crazy good tube upgrades-just for my hd600. Should Be a great pairing with D90.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #325 of 1,101
It’s a magnifier of cables for sure- usb xlr and rca all make a difference - even power cable. This dac shows all the changes and I love it for that. Have you tried DSD512 files - omg amazing once you dial it all in. I use the PASS amp but I just ordered a decked out Bottlehead crack Speed ball With crazy good tube upgrades-just for my hd600. Should Be a great pairing with D90.
You already built the "Bottlehead Power Cord Kit"? :)

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #326 of 1,101
Haven't gotten around to ordering the bottlehead pc- BUT I do have a few PC from others like TG Audio, Signal Cable Magic and Z Cables so I will see what they do with the set up. Do you have experience with Power cords changing sound on D90? I know the Signal Cables makes the D90 sound much better than stock wire.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #328 of 1,101
I am new to this just got the D90, what mode should I use for line out pre or dac mode, I have active speaker.
Thanks

Depends on your setup. I use the DAC mode and use the volume control on my speakers, which is within arms reach. But if need to use the remote or need volume control on the DAC, then pre mode makes sense I guess.

Jun 4, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #330 of 1,101
Thanks for the response, which one sound better to you? Can't tell the different on my set up

I always prefer the DAC mode when available, but if you can't tell the difference, use the option that is more convenient to you. I always like to say, 'if the difference is so subtle that you have to A/B to detect inappreciable difference, then it's not a difference worth pursuing, let alone mentioning.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back