Topping d90 vs d70s
Oct 13, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #91 of 105
I would most definitely borrow one first, as you’re suggesting. Definitely more curious about NOS now, based on posts here. Maybe even a diy if I can afford the time and equipment to practice (thank you for those cool suggestions @sajunky!). It would be nice (eventually) to have a different dac as a flavor compliment - not a replacement - for this really excellent dac. Startling to really get that the output stage and supported circuit design is as (if not more) important than the chip/processor design choice. What I do know is that the D70s sounds even better every time I sit in front of my system…and with everything I listen to. It even provides such good listening via usb/streaming that the differences between that and stored tracks are minute enough for me to almost forget which source I’m running. And yes, it shares qualities with r2r ("flows" much better than my Airist r2r), very natural and non-fatiguing. Add to this the updated flexibility of connections? For such a comparatively low price? A wonderful choice through and through.
The Holo is quite aggressive even in NOS mode. The Metrum is true NOS so to speak - uses no filters what so ever and is the smoothest sounding of the lot.

Mar 19, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #93 of 105
Looking forward to trying the different digital inputs on mine as well….
I’m considering using a Pi2AES as a streamer to replace my allo digione. First to take the performance up a notch, but second to also try the various output options it delivers: AES, Coax, optical, bnc, and I2S. It functions (by default) as a dedicated DDC in order to avoid usb altogether. Great review abound for it. Just some concerns about the I2s pin input configuration that has not always matched with some dacs, but I think the D70s has several settings for compatibility (I still need to research those).

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #94 of 105
The combination of the Pi2AES with the D70s is very good!!! I've been using it for a few months and I really liked the result, it improved the sound qualities of the D70s even more, the highs were detailed, mids and bass full-bodied. I'm using the i2S output and it was not necessary to change the pin configuration.
I opted for Pi2AES (before the price increase) after several reviews and comparisons in its favor, a friend also has one and compared it with some DDC and dedicated PC and liked PiAES better.

Mar 19, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #95 of 105
The combination of the Pi2AES with the D70s is very good!!! I've been using it for a few months and I really liked the result, it improved the sound qualities of the D70s even more, the highs were detailed, mids and bass full-bodied. I'm using the i2S output and it was not necessary to change the pin configuration.
I opted for Pi2AES (before the price increase) after several reviews and comparisons in its favor, a friend also has one and compared it with some DDC and dedicated PC and liked PiAES better.
This is really great to know! Thanks for sharing your impressions on the Pi2AES. I should just go ahead and get it, even with the increase. Should have jumped on it while it was at a lower cost. Excited to know the I2s works as it is! Can I ask, are you using it with a Pi4?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #96 of 105
This is really great to know! Thanks for sharing your impressions on the Pi2AES. I should just go ahead and get it, even with the increase. Should have jumped on it while it was at a lower cost. Excited to know the I2s works as it is! Can I ask, are you using it with a Pi4?
Yes, I use it with the RPi4 playing local files through moode audio.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #98 of 105
I’ve been curious about the su6. Never seen the AF 200, interesting device. I’d be fine with paying the extra cash for the great results from the Pi2AES. I’ve been using an Alllo Digione to good effect, also using a code from a forum that quiets/optimizes the rpi board for streaming via SSH into the OS (Volumio in my case). It makes a big difference in SQ! The similar optimization has been proven to work on the Pi2AES with an rpi4 board.

Still, nice to see another cool device that implements similar functionality.

Mar 20, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #99 of 105
Pi2AES is currently so expensive. Full setup, including shipping, costs more than 400 USD. I lean towards SU-6 and AF200, but not sure about what overall sound quality will look like. wanna use its AES input, appearing the cleanest input of D70s, https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-topping-d70s-dac/
I’ve been curious about the su6. Never seen the AF 200, interesting device. I’d be fine with paying the extra cash for the great results from the Pi2AES. Also wonder about their Mercury streamer currently in the works, but I’m sure that will be even more expensive.

I’ve been using an Alllo Digione to good effect, also using a code from a forum that quiets/optimizes the rpi board for streaming via SSH into the OS (Volumio in my case). It makes a big difference in SQ! The similar optimization has been proven to work on the Pi2AES with an rpi4 board.

Still, nice to see another cool device that implements similar functionality.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #104 of 105
I wonder if some of you guys heard, Topping d70s with Meze Empyrean? I find a good deal now and considering to buy the d70s. But I’m afraid if it has a good synergy or not with my empy. My amp is m2tech marly mk2 (neutral sounding yet musical) Empyrean is musical to.

Jul 14, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #105 of 105
I am using the D70S on my MBL/Dynaudio system and it is an excellent performer. Probably one of the best delta/sigma available. To find a better dac it is necessary to aim at selected units floating above 3k, and yet system synergies can smooth out differences.

If you are into simple acoustic music, probably the Musician Pegasus (R2R made correctly) can sound sweeter in the highs. But you would lose engagement (bass contour, microdetails) as soon as music becomes more layered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back