Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398
Apr 17, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #362 of 512
Apr 17, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #363 of 512
If the D30 performs well (i.e) neutral. why roll op amps? to simply color the sound? are the default ones that inferior? I've seen posts on Massdrop saying that its warm in tonality, and yet others saying its cold, and some that say neutral. I suppose that really shows the subjective side of audio.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #364 of 512
If the D30 performs well (i.e) neutral. why roll op amps? to simply color the sound? are the default ones that inferior? I've seen posts on Massdrop saying that its warm in tonality, and yet others saying its cold, and some that say neutral. I suppose that really shows the subjective side of audio.

If you like how it sounds its pointless to mess with it. If you insert it into your listening chain and the change isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it is close, then it's worth a try unless you'd rather buy several DACs and pick which one you like the best and can send the others back. It's definitely a subtle change, but then one good DAC vs another good DAC is a subtle change. Jmo of course.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #365 of 512

I haven't seen the D30 described as warm or cold on neutral/warmer headphones like HD600/650. I have seen some people say it's a tad bright because of its neutrality while comparable DACs are a little more on the warm side. Also, a lot of audiophiles prefer brighter headphones so of course a neutral source would sound cold on them.

I'm very interested to know how much audible difference there is between the D30, ODAC and OL DAC. Are the latter DACs warmer than the D30?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #366 of 512
Yeah the D30 measures very well and shouldn’t really be coloring the sound. Compared to my old Sabre U2, I have a lower noise floor and perhaps some better details, but it doesn’t stand out as being warm or bright. A DAC shouldn’t do that unless it’s a tube DAC or you want to tinker and color the sound.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #367 of 512
I just ordered mine, do i need something special to donwload to use it in windows and foobar?

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #368 of 512
Is the newer XMOS-Stereo-USB-Audio-Class2-Driver-3072_v3.34.0, posted in the thread, the evaluation version from xmos's website, which inserts a beep every 5 minutes after the first hour of use?

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #370 of 512
well I jumped on the massdrop train, expected shipping, may 30

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #372 of 512
Yeah the D30 measures very well and shouldn’t really be coloring the sound. Compared to my old Sabre U2, I have a lower noise floor and perhaps some better details, but it doesn’t stand out as being warm or bright. A DAC shouldn’t do that unless it’s a tube DAC or you want to tinker and color the sound.

Hi everyone,
i use Sabre U2 for my setup and i'm thinking would it be a worthy upgrade to get D30 as well. Can you describe the sound change with a little more detail?

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #373 of 512
Hi everyone,
i use Sabre U2 for my setup and i'm thinking would it be a worthy upgrade to get D30 as well. Can you describe the sound change with a little more detail?

For me, the noise floor was much lower. Things were much quieter when they should be, and the detail was better. I don’t think I can offer much more input though because it’s such a small difference, but those are the most objective differences I can discern. I’m certainly happy I made the upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back