Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398
Nov 14, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #271 of 512
hi all
https://www.xmos.com/support/boards?product=14772

4.11.0 August 16, 2017 download Windows 10 driver evaluation kit with attestation signature for all XMOS USB audio reference designs and development kits. After installing the driver kit, navigate to the install folder and run "DriverPackagesXMOS_EVAL_KITS_DEMO_DriverSetup_v4.11.0_2017-05-16_setup.exe" to actually install the driver.
this drivers are good ?
and what shooed i chose in jriver player D30 WASAPI OR XMOS USB AUDIO V2
THANKS SHAY

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #273 of 512
Just picked the D30 up for my headphone system. Best sounding dac I have had in that setup in many years and lots less $ than the more expensive dacs that have cycled through the setup. Running into a Magni3, this combo can outperform many $500 combos I have used. With most dacs I usually find a fault to focus on. With this no notable faults. And ASIO with Win 10, how nice is that!

Thanks to the folks in the thread who commented on it, it helped me make the decision to get one.

Nov 28, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #274 of 512
Just picked the D30 up for my headphone system. Best sounding dac I have had in that setup in many years and lots less $ than the more expensive dacs that have cycled through the setup. Running into a Magni3, this combo can outperform many $500 combos I have used. With most dacs I usually find a fault to focus on. With this no notable faults. And ASIO with Win 10, how nice is that!

Thanks to the folks in the thread who commented on it, it helped me make the decision to get one.
Glad you are enjoying it! Its a great DAC!

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #275 of 512
After some shipping delays, my D30 got here today, and... it sounded terrible. After an embarrassingly long testing period, I found that the output is almost, but not quite, mono. Doing a basic Windows sound-device test (supposed to play a sound in the left channel only, then right channel) showed that the left and right channels were only very slightly separated. "Right" seemed to be center and "left" was slightly left of center. Switched USB and RCA cables, didn't help. (Output directly from my computer, or Magni 3 without the DAC, doesn't have this issue.)

Apparently there are some highly defective, or counterfeit, versions of this device. Or my "new" one was a used-and-damaged one. It didn't have the (tacky) "Hi-Res Audio" stickers it normally(?) comes with, which was a bit suspicious. Now I have to decide whether to try some other seller or a different DAC entirely.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #276 of 512
After some shipping delays, my D30 got here today, and... it sounded terrible. After an embarrassingly long testing period, I found that the output is almost, but not quite, mono. Doing a basic Windows sound-device test (supposed to play a sound in the left channel only, then right channel) showed that the left and right channels were only very slightly separated. "Right" seemed to be center and "left" was slightly left of center. Switched USB and RCA cables, didn't help. (Output directly from my computer, or Magni 3 without the DAC, doesn't have this issue.)

Apparently there are some highly defective, or counterfeit, versions of this device. Or my "new" one was a used-and-damaged one. It didn't have the (tacky) "Hi-Res Audio" stickers it normally(?) comes with, which was a bit suspicious. Now I have to decide whether to try some other seller or a different DAC entirely.
Hard to imagine counterfeiting a piece that sells at counterfeit prices. Why not hook up optical output from TV or Blu-ray player and see if that is reproduced correctly. You might remove the case and compare it to images online if still in doubt.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #277 of 512
I don't really think it's counterfeit, but I heard someone else claim fake versions of this DAC existed, so I guess I had to say it myself to get someone to point out how silly that would be.

Since the output is so screwed up, I very much doubt that different input would change anything. (Given that it's digital input from a computer with no known audio issues. I did try different USB ports.) Not sure if I even have any optical cables. Makes more sense to just send it back and move on, unless this is a known issue that can be fixed (doesn't sound like that's the case).

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #278 of 512

open it up and check the parts out. It could be a counterfeit or defective. How does it appear in Windows? Also mine does not have a hi-res audio logo on it either.

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #279 of 512
I don't really think it's counterfeit, but I heard someone else claim fake versions of this DAC existed, so I guess I had to say it myself to get someone to point out how silly that would be.

Since the output is so screwed up, I very much doubt that different input would change anything. (Given that it's digital input from a computer with no known audio issues. I did try different USB ports.) Not sure if I even have any optical cables. Makes more sense to just send it back and move on, unless this is a known issue that can be fixed (doesn't sound like that's the case).

What driver did you use?

Where did you buy it from?

Eric

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #280 of 512
I used the Windows XMOS driver someone posted in this thread. No issues installing or getting the D30 to connect. (The OS actually recognized it as "D30" before I installed the driver.) Bought it from one of several third-party Amazon sellers (not one of the ones that ships directly from China, maybe that was my mistake).

It seems pretty clearly defective to me. If it was playing pure mono, I'd think that could be a software issue, but the channels aren't exactly the same, they're just bleeding into each other excessively. (Switching to mono mode on the DAC, there's a clear difference; but comparing its "stereo" to my laptop's stereo output, the former is very obviously broken.) Presumably something shorted out in there.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #281 of 512

This is explained, for example, in the first message of the topic (It should be noted that 2134 is much worse than 2132):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quick-review-of-the-ad823-vs-opa2132-vs-ad8066.242125/

When I replaced in my Topping D30 opa2134 with lm6172, I got a sound stage wider than the distance between speakers and sounds of incomparably better quality.

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #282 of 512
When I replaced in my Topping D30 opa2134 with lm6172, I got a sound stage wider than the distance between speakers and sounds of incomparably better quality.

Sounds like that could be a good modification for a working D30, but the problem with mine definitely wasn't just a suboptimal part. The left/right channels were so blended together that I could barely tell them apart, and sound-test made some weird interferency noises.

This was my first try at an external DAC, so I didn't really want to tinker with it when it seems defective. Already sent it back, will try something else next.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #283 of 512
Sounds like that could be a good modification for a working D30, but the problem with mine definitely wasn't just a suboptimal part. The left/right channels were so blended together that I could barely tell them apart, and sound-test made some weird interferency noises.

This was my first try at an external DAC, so I didn't really want to tinker with it when it seems defective. Already sent it back, will try something else next.

Try the JDS Labs OL DAC, super little DAC for the money. Unless you need the coaxial input of the topping D30

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:46 AM Post #285 of 512

Users who are viewing this thread

Back