Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398
Mar 26, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #136 of 512
Gotta say the d30 is an excellent dac, the a30 is ok but would prefer something that gives a bit more powah. The sound through a30 sounds a bit colder than on my mitsubishi m—a01 headphone out... Anyway i would suhgest everybody to buy that acrylic shelf, it really make dac and amp to standout on a table..

EDIT: I gotta say that i would turn D30 off for night's, its running pretty warm tho its aluminium shell does spread the heat..

Here is mine on a very tight space, so not the best photo of the acrylic shelf.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #139 of 512
Gotta say the d30 is an excellent dac, the a30 is ok but would prefer something that gives a bit more powah. The sound through a30 sounds a bit colder than on my mitsubishi m—a01 headphone out... Anyway i would suhgest everybody to buy that acrylic shelf, it really make dac and amp to standout on a table..

Here is mine on a very tight space, so not the best photo of the acrylic shelf.

I bought the A30 for the specific reason of not having too much power. Its the best Amp to use for IEM's.
Since you have one you can look up my thread on it and maybe contribute some information there too.
I think its a great DAC/Amp combo that most people don't know about.

To me the A30 is more "reference" style as its very flat

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #140 of 512
That's a nice fit. Do you have a socket underneath, or did you solder the opamp directly to the PCB?

I soldered a socket below the op amp

Initial test failed and i spent 30 mins troubleshooting problem because there was no sound.

Later i found out that the burson chip require more current to operate. Once i switch to my meanwell switching power supply. It was working fine.

Initial 1 hour listening was music becomes clearer and quiet background.
I will continue to test and burn the DAC. I hope it will improve the sound further

My current setup is D30 -> MF X10D -> MF XCAN V1 modded

Any further comment about the Burson v5i installation? SQ compared with the original opamp?
It's not my purpose to push you to make a review, but I am a big fan of the Burson's and I never tried them on a DAC.
Do they really make the difference in this kind of application?
I am not so sure and I would like to have some opinions before starting to modify my D30.
By the way, how many amps do we need to consider to make the Burson working?
Cheers.

Mar 30, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #141 of 512

Any further comment about the Burson v5i installation? SQ compared with the original opamp?
It's not my purpose to push you to make a review, but I am a big fan of the Burson's and I never tried them on a DAC.
I am not so sure and I would like to have some opinions before starting to modify my D30.
Cheers.

Nothing much, it breakdown after 3 weeks
and I did get a replacement for it
I dunno if it is a quality issue or they way I am using it on my amp
They do make a difference, but personally if I want to upgrade, i will go for the v5

I am sorry, my england not so good :)
but what do you mean by "how many amps do we need to consider to make the Burson working?"

I have tried the V5i on little dot i+ and musical fidelity xcan. Both are hybrid, the Xcan sound better than the little dot
But now I am playing with the modded APPJ 1502 and I will sell both Xcan and little dot

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #142 of 512

Cheers.

Nothing much, it breakdown after 3 weeks
and I did get a replacement for it
I dunno if it is a quality issue or they way I am using it on my amp
They do make a difference, but personally if I want to upgrade, i will go for the v5

I am sorry, my england not so good :)
but what do you mean by "how many amps do we need to consider to make the Burson working?"

I have tried the V5i on little dot i+ and musical fidelity xcan. Both are hybrid, the Xcan sound better than the little dot
But now I am playing with the modded APPJ 1502 and I will sell both Xcan and little dot

Hey, thank you for your feedback.
Honestly your English is better than mine. Trust me :wink:.
You mentioned the fact that the Burson needs more current, so I was curious to know how many Ampere dors your Meanwell (top Chinese brand for the switching PSU, right?) delivers.
I am asking so to understand if the iFi iPower can be used instead.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #143 of 512
You mentioned the fact that the Burson needs more current, so I was curious to know how many Ampere dors your Meanwell (top Chinese brand for the switching PSU, right?) delivers.

The meanwell is around 3 amps. I dunno what's the exact power requirement for it. I just use the meanwell as it is available in my house

I forgot to mention that v5i will sound more forward

And if i put v5i on dac and v5i on little dot, it will sound like a junk. A lot of distortion.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #144 of 512

The meanwell is around 3 amps. I dunno what's the exact power requirement for it. I just use the meanwell as it is available in my house

I forgot to mention that v5i will sound more forward

And if i put v5i on dac and v5i on little dot, it will sound like a junk. A lot of distortion.

Thanks mate. I am thinking to put the V5 on the D30.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #146 of 512
I'm planning on getting one of these to pair with a Project Polaris and HD650. Hopefully a good combo.

Did you end up going this route? I'm also considering pairing the D30 with my Project Polaris. The DAC looks great on paper, and it looks like the Polaris would fit very neatly on top of it on my desk :grin:

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #148 of 512
Did you end up going this route? I'm also considering pairing the D30 with my Project Polaris. The DAC looks great on paper, and it looks like the Polaris would fit very neatly on top of it on my desk :grin:

I'm still waiting for the Polaris to arrive, I've got the D30 though and I like it a lot for the price.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #149 of 512
Then try it out!
Its really not expensive overall.

I'm still waiting for the Polaris to arrive, I've got the D30 though and I like it a lot for the price.

Well I bought one of the eBay units for under $100. Seemed a great deal for the feature set. Here goes nothing! Now if only I could find 6 inch RCA cables that don't cost an arm and a leg...

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #150 of 512
The issue is not driver related. If you turn your amp up really high you'll hear some sound however faint. Best I can tell the output section has a few QC issues. It's almost like the opamp inside is doing nothing at all.

The replacement topping sent me worked first try without playing with any settings at all minus changing to the optical out. USB was the same. For best results on USB follow the topping instructions on getting asio to work. This is only after you've had your defective box swapped out.

I spent a few hours breaking down the signal flow and came to a dead end when I wasn't willing to mechanically isolate components for measurement.

Good luck. Topping customer service was quite impressive.

Ex

I bought my dac from ebay and they asked me to send them video. Video of what? Of my unit not producing any sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back