Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398
Nov 29, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #481 of 512
I don't remember if mine was plug and play, but I wanted to install the drivers (the ones a posted a couple posts back) anyhow. You know, just in case…
Anyways, if your Win 10 is fully up to date, then it should be usb2 audio compatible out of the box. Just remember this is Win 10 we're talking about. There's many things that should work but don't.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #482 of 512
I don't remember if mine was plug and play, but I wanted to install the drivers (the ones a posted a couple posts back) anyhow. You know, just in case…
Anyways, if you're Win 10 is fully up to date, then it should be usb2 audio compatible out of the box. Just remember this is Win 10 we're talking about. There's many things that should work but don't.

I do hear a lot of complaints about Win 10, but it has been great for me. There are some procedures and processes that I would like to change, but other than that, it has been problem free for me.

Hopefully that won't change with my little purchase. I got it today for $134.00.

Shane D

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #484 of 512
Got my Black Friday goodies today, including my D30. Gotta start reorganizing desktops tomorrow and get this hooked up. And decide which amp to use.

Shane D

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #485 of 512
Put my new system together today. It took more than a while. Lots of rebooting and enabling/disabling of devices.:relaxed:

Once all was said and done, the speakers sound much better now. I am now running computer to D30 to Burson Fun-Classic to Vanatoo Transparent Zeroes.

The speakers had been underwhelming me lately with certain music. This might be related to my constant purchasing of headphones and amps in the living room. I may be getting too spoiled.:smile:

The office is much more impressive now. Here is a low light pic as it took me a few hours to get everything set up.
20191205_173205.jpg

Shane D

Jan 29, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #486 of 512
Hello to all!
I just received my new D30, and connected it to my notebook.

I'm trying to use it to playback some DSD files in native mode, but I'm facing some problems in JRiver.

In Tools > Options I selected:
Audio device: XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST XXXX [ASIO] (where XXXX is the driver number)
Bitstreaming: Yes
In Tools > Audio device > Device settings... I left all options to default, leaving unchecked 'DSD Bitstream in DoP format" because (I think that) hardware (CS4398 chip) can do it in DSD native mode (DSD64 1x or DSD128 2x), without any need to go over PCM.

but when I try to play a DSD file I obtain the error:
Playback could not be started on the output 'ASIO' using the format 'DSD DSD64 (1x) 2ch'.
This ouput format may not be supported by your hardware.

If I enable DoP playback, I don't get any error.

I tried these XMOS Stereo USB Audio Class2 Drivers:
3066 v2.26.0 (original from Topping site);
2023 v3.34.0;
3072 v3.34.0;
3033 v4.13.0,
with no success.

Can someone confirm to me that our D30 is capable to play DSD contents in native mode?
If so, someone can point me to a risolutive JRiver setup?

Or maybe, if the problem is driver related, what different exact driver number and version I must use?
My notebook runs Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), version 1909.

Thanks a lot,
Leo.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #487 of 512
I do hear a lot of complaints about Win 10, but it has been great for me. There are some procedures and processes that I would like to change, but other than that, it has been problem free for me.

Hopefully that won't change with my little purchase. I got it today for $134.00.

Shane D
Sorta have a problem, plays well and recognized by Tidal, very nice DAC for the monies. Would love to see my bitrate playback on Tidal files, I think reading up on this thread that it only works for DSD files.. so right on.

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #488 of 512
Hello to all!
I just received my new D30, and connected it to my notebook.

I'm trying to use it to playback some DSD files in native mode, but I'm facing some problems in JRiver.

In Tools > Options I selected:
Audio device: XMOS USB Audio 2.0 ST XXXX [ASIO] (where XXXX is the driver number)
Bitstreaming: Yes
In Tools > Audio device > Device settings... I left all options to default, leaving unchecked 'DSD Bitstream in DoP format" because (I think that) hardware (CS4398 chip) can do it in DSD native mode (DSD64 1x or DSD128 2x), without any need to go over PCM.

but when I try to play a DSD file I obtain the error:
Playback could not be started on the output 'ASIO' using the format 'DSD DSD64 (1x) 2ch'.
This ouput format may not be supported by your hardware.

If I enable DoP playback, I don't get any error.

I tried these XMOS Stereo USB Audio Class2 Drivers:
3066 v2.26.0 (original from Topping site);
2023 v3.34.0;
3072 v3.34.0;
3033 v4.13.0,
with no success.

Can someone confirm to me that our D30 is capable to play DSD contents in native mode?
If so, someone can point me to a risolutive JRiver setup?

Or maybe, if the problem is driver related, what different exact driver number and version I must use?
My notebook runs Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit), version 1909.

Thanks a lot,
Leo.
Within the drivers folder is a pdf for Jriver settings

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #490 of 512
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #493 of 512
Looks like they did.
PM incoming…
Well three days later and I finally got to try out that driver.... it's EXCELLENT. I had my other DAC connected to an iGalvanic unit and had a tough time deciding whether to just plug the ToppingD30 to it or just leave things be.. (iGalvanic only has one output) well it did until I found this.
2020-08-02 12.20.36.jpg

The Topping D30 opened up big time with the iGalvnic unit! I could probably open her up some more with one of them linear power transformer deals like at the beginning of this thread. But as is, it's really a decent DAC. It's overachieved my expectations.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #494 of 512
Is anyone here using the D30 with Asio? After a mixup (I was sent an E30 by mistake) I have a D30 on the way. I need Asio with lowest possible latency for live performance. Topping makes it sound like the Thesycon drivers are best for Asio, where Xmos Stereo driver is limited to 'safe' (ie, high latency) operation.

Any driver suggestions for D30 + low latency Asio?

Aug 24, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #495 of 512
Is anyone here using the D30 with Asio? After a mixup (I was sent an E30 by mistake) I have a D30 on the way. I need Asio with lowest possible latency for live performance. Topping makes it sound like the Thesycon drivers are best for Asio, where Xmos Stereo driver is limited to 'safe' (ie, high latency) operation.

Any driver suggestions for D30 + low latency Asio?
The stock drivers work, from their site, bass is a little boomy, member here has xmos drivers that clears things up a bit ..but if you like bass ... Stock drivers is the one you want. From their site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back