Topping A90
Nov 28, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #1,355 of 1,442
Hi all, can this be used as by-pass output for RCA and XLR to another headphone? Thinking to daisy chain this between another headphone amp and didn't want to use it as preamp... thanks otherwise i have to keep changing the cables.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #1,356 of 1,442
Hi all, can this be used as by-pass output for RCA and XLR to another headphone? Thinking to daisy chain this between another headphone amp and didn't want to use it as preamp... thanks otherwise i have to keep changing the cables.
No. A30 Pro and L50 have bypass outputs(only, no pre-amp) but the A90 only has pre-amp.

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,358 of 1,442
I don't know for sure, but my findings when I had the A90 was that I was shocked how good bass was on the Burson soloist 3xp compared. Sold some gear and upgraded. The A90 is a really nice budget amp tough, but if you have the cash go for Burson Soloist 3xp. I listen to a lot of electronic music that goes deep too.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,361 of 1,442
Funny coincidence, my A90 went kaput yesterday. It developed this loud crackling and popping on all outputs at any gain and volume, whether it's connected to a source or not.

I purchased mine on October 2020 from Amazon (shipped by Amazon but the seller is Aoshida HiFi-US). I contacted the seller to see about warranty service since Topping advises to contact the seller first. I got a timely reply but they ask for some weird stuff like to take a video and send it to them. Video of what? It's an audio defect. My detailed description should be enough. We'll see how it goes.
I just had the same thing happen to me now. The amp was playing on low volume using my Audeze LCD-XC headphones. The headphones were laying on the carpet, and I accidentally bumped the headphones with my foot. All of a sudden I started hearing loud popping sounds come out of the headphones. I scrambled to turn down the volume on the amp, but it didn't do anything, so I shut the amp off.

I've tried a few different experiments like switching out the DAC feeding the A90 (still popping sound) and trying the headphones on a different amp chain (popping sound disappears). I contacted Topping customer service this morning...

I was crapping my pants because I thought I ruined the headphones, but so far they seem to be okay...

Dec 15, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #1,362 of 1,442
I don't know for sure, but my findings when I had the A90 was that I was shocked how good bass was on the Burson soloist 3xp compared. Sold some gear and upgraded. The A90 is a really nice budget amp tough, but if you have the cash go for Burson Soloist 3xp. I listen to a lot of electronic music that goes deep too
I have the A90 and I love it, it was the first amp I have listened to that made a huge noticeable difference when listening to my HD650, I didn't know amp/DACs could do what it did. Unfortunately due to money constraints I have either had quality headphones and lower quality amp/DACs, or now a decent amp and lower quality headphones,.I hope to match the quality of both some day 😁 How does a Burson improve upon an A90 say, what does it do to the experience?

Dec 23, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,365 of 1,442
image.jpg

Hey all. I got an issue if anyone can help or chime in with similar stories…

I got the D90 and A90 as loaners from Apos, for my YouTube channel. I’m sitting here ready to give my impressions soon in a video, and I’m finding that there is a significant amount of distortion on my HE6SE. Sounds like whenever I increase the volume to a certain point, the drivers can’t produce clean playback anymore. I thought maybe my headphones had died. So scared!

I tried keeping the D90 DAC in the chain but outputting through my Xduoo TA-30 hybrid tube amp instead, and that one actually had no issue whatsoever. So it turns out that the culprit in my setup is the A90.

Here’s the exact chain with the issue (so far; haven’t tried other interconnects and inputs)…

MacBook Pro > Usb C to USB A adapter > D90 > XLR cables from the Straight Wire company > A90 (high gain) > 1/4” single ended output > Hart cables (balanced, but balanced cables can go into single ended outputs just fine on my TA-30 amp) > HE6SE V2 planar magnetic headphones.

Again, the only change I made to the chain, to get lean sound again, was to go from my D90 to the TA-30 (via RCA). Otherwise all connections and so on are the same.

Anyone get issues with clean playback of their A90 at high volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back