Topping A90
Feb 24, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,126 of 1,442
Come to this thread because I just listened to D90 today. Great stuff with great price. I can say I'm satisfied with the performance/ratio really well. Deep black background, timbre accuracy, decay accuracy, and how everything seems tight and controlled. Love the clarty on treble, vocal seems neutral, not too dry, with nice present of deep bass.

However, the A90 problem that people talk here, indeed surprise me not in good way :scream_cat:

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #1,127 of 1,442
modi multibit, or bifrost. or audio GD, but for bifrost 2 money I would jump on the denafrips ares 2, though.
I currently have my eye on the Bifrost and the Ares 2. Honestly, I do like the aesthetics of the Bifrost 2 a bit better but otherwise both seem like they would serve my purposes. I feel like I will most likely revisit this thread and ask the same question towards the end of this year, assuming some new stuff gets released.

Initially I also was looking at the D90 and the RME ADI2, but it seems like those would not be the best options if I want a warmer sound.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,128 of 1,442
I currently have my eye on the Bifrost and the Ares 2. Honestly, I do like the aesthetics of the Bifrost 2 a bit better but otherwise both seem like they would serve my purposes. I feel like I will most likely revisit this thread and ask the same question towards the end of this year, assuming some new stuff gets released.

Initially I also was looking at the D90 and the RME ADI2, but it seems like those would not be the best options if I want a warmer sound.
After watching this comparison, I think I'd go with the Bifrost 2 myself:

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #1,129 of 1,442
Hi.
How can I compare the SE performance of the A90, to the SE performance of the Carbon X? I don't have a way of listening to the A90, but one of my primary reasons to consider the A90 to replace my Carbon X, is I want a 1 stop Amp that can handle all my headphones well, rather than have one for SE and one for Balanced.

I think the Carbon X is considered "warm", the A90 Neutral? I am a little concerned it might exagerate the analytical nature of the HD800S which is my primary listening Headphones.

Cheers

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #1,131 of 1,442
Hi.
How can I compare the SE performance of the A90, to the SE performance of the Carbon X? I don't have a way of listening to the A90, but one of my primary reasons to consider the A90 to replace my Carbon X, is I want a 1 stop Amp that can handle all my headphones well, rather than have one for SE and one for Balanced.

I think the Carbon X is considered "warm", the A90 Neutral? I am a little concerned it might exagerate the analytical nature of the HD800S which is my primary listening Headphones.

Cheers
Carbon X SE is really quite bad so A90 is going to be an upgrade

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #1,135 of 1,442
This wasn't even registered as a worry for me before I read your post.
IMHO I feel it's pretty sad for topping not to step up and say, well we made a design error that we couldn't have foretold in our QC but we will reimburse you on this.
Maybe too Utopic.
So in your case will you be able to replace the drivers at least?
I also own an A90 and wrote John Yang a PM over at ASR. He replied saying that the A90 doesn't have the electrostatic discharge problem that made several L30s go bust, as the design of the two amps is different. He said he doesn't know what could have caused the problem reported here...

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,139 of 1,442
Does the topping a90 have enough power to drive the IESL? Is there also a simular cable like the one for the rme adi 2pro?
1614685380996.png

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,140 of 1,442

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back