Topping A90
Oct 22, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #886 of 1,442
Planning to use my Fiio M11pro as DAC for Topping A90 amp. Will it do justice? Or Should i buy a dedicated DAC? I'm going to use it for Sennheiser hd800s

Are there any benefits of using Line Out 3.5mm to RCA over 4.4mm to XLR? Is 3.55mm still better because thats the designated lineout for Fiio m11 pro? Or can the 4.4 port work as line out as well? Just max out the volume?

I currently have my M11 connected to my A90. I want normally be doing this, just wanted to test the M11 DAC against my Eitr>Mimby stack. What I can confirm is the USB DAC out of the M11 is VERY noisy. If using this permanently, I'd say you'd need something like the ifi usb-c noise reducer. The Eitr>Mimby is definitely the better DAC too, as it should be but it's pretty close.

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #889 of 1,442
Anyone using SMSL SU9 with A90 I don't want to pay higher price for D90 also anyone can confirm if it has usual SABRE glare I don't think my Arya will like that.

I alternate between the SU9v2 (run balanced) and a Chord Hugo, which should tell you something in itself.

The Hugo has a bit more resolution and detail, but the difference between that and the SU9 isn't as large as you would think. I don't hear any glare - it certainly has less edge than my Dragonfly Red.

The SU9 also has different filters and distortion profiles that allow a bit of fine tuning.

I think the SU9 would be an excellent choice if on a budget - I suspect you would need to spend a lot more to get any meaningful improvement.

Good luck!

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #890 of 1,442
I alternate between the SU9v2 (run balanced) and a Chord Hugo, which should tell you something in itself.

The Hugo has a bit more resolution and detail, but the difference between that and the SU9 isn't as large as you would think. I don't hear any glare - it certainly has less edge than my Dragonfly Red.

The SU9 also has different filters and distortion profiles that allow a bit of fine tuning.

I think the SU9 would be an excellent choice if on a budget - I suspect you would need to spend a lot more to get any meaningful improvement.

Good luck!
Thanks for your feedback I also have Hugo 2 but heard with RCA it doesn't do justice with A90 that's why was interested in full balanced DAC, I wish I could demo the two together maybe my Hugo 2 RCA will be better than both, but here in Europe I don't have luxury of getting these on demo that's why I rely on feedback here. But good to hear Hugo is on par or better.

Oct 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #891 of 1,442
Thanks for your feedback I also have Hugo 2 but heard with RCA it doesn't do justice with A90 that's why was interested in full balanced DAC, I wish I could demo the two together maybe my Hugo 2 RCA will be better than both, but here in Europe I don't have luxury of getting these on demo that's why I rely on feedback here. But good to hear Hugo is on par or better.

Hmmmm - good point: I don't know if my RCA Hugo is doing it justice, because I don't have a higher end XLR DAC to compare it to.

Check out eBay: I was able to get my SU9 as a open box at a really good price (about $160). Admittedly it is a luxury to own that and the Hugo, but it is nice to switch out - especially for use with my PC.

I ended up tracking down a noise issue with my PC: when connecting it via USB or Coax to my Hugo, I get noise from my A90. My Hugo is otherwise dead silent into my A9. When listening via my PC, I have been switching to my SU9 - hopefully until I can figure out how to fix it.

Lately I have been playing around with Sony's Music Center app on my PC, which upsamples and scales my Redbook music collection. I need to use usb to pass the highest resolution, but I may try toslink to "fix" the noise issue. (Another topic for another day, but I think Sony's tech really does work.)

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #893 of 1,442
I too own the Mojo/Poly amd connect to the A90 via 3.5mm to XLR cable. Purchased on Amazon. Just be sure to notice the directionality of the cable. That data moves from the 3.5mm to the XLR.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #894 of 1,442
heard with RCA it doesn't do justice with A90 that's why was interested in full balanced DAC
Never heard RCA isn't doing justice with A90, is this true?

Only heard about (and experienced myself) sensitivity for interference/noise when using RCA cables (which may relate to some other amps as well, not sure?)
hmscott from this forum explained this for me as "RCA noise being a ground loop noise (from Topping A90) - and ground noise brought in from USB cable through the Dac.".
My comment: There are ways around this though, better cables (RCA and USB cables) and in some cases USB 2 port on computer more quiet than USB 3 (probably worth trying all USB ports on computer if having issue), using a quality power supply instead of running the DAC USB powered etc. This is hmscott's area of expertize though. :) A better USB cable doesn't have to be very expensive, Supra was working for me. I'm running my A90 fully balanced right now though but I did get it quiet using RCA cables as well.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #895 of 1,442

OMG - so sorry - I have an SU-8, NOT SU9. 🙄🙄

So take everything I just said with a grain of salt.

Ugh. Sorry about that!

Oct 22, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #897 of 1,442
Oct 24, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #898 of 1,442
Never heard RCA isn't doing justice with A90, is this true?

Only heard about (and experienced myself) sensitivity for interference/noise when using RCA cables (which may relate to some other amps as well, not sure?)
hmscott from this forum explained this for me as "RCA noise being a ground loop noise (from Topping A90) - and ground noise brought in from USB cable through the Dac.".
My comment: There are ways around this though, better cables (RCA and USB cables) and in some cases USB 2 port on computer more quiet than USB 3 (probably worth trying all USB ports on computer if having issue), using a quality power supply instead of running the DAC USB powered etc. This is hmscott's area of expertize though. :) A better USB cable doesn't have to be very expensive, Supra was working for me. I'm running my A90 fully balanced right now though but I did get it quiet using RCA cables as well.
"hi-end" audio qualities and "high Price" aren't what I am looking for in a shielded cable, they can be inexpensive and better shielded than expensive "audiophile" cables, and and inexpensive USB cable with ferrite cores around the cable near both ends to reduce the USB noise really helps cut down the USB "hash". At least it worked for me, YMMV. :)

Here's a link to the cables I used, WBC makes the same shielded design with other brands of wire and connector ends, just keep it short and plug them in the right direction - for the faraday cage filtering effect to be maximized.

Follow the links in this post for more details:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/topping-a90.927412/post-15900269

I'm actually using the A90 near full power with H Gain up to 3:00 position - about 75% volume on the dial, with new DT 880 600 ohm and DT 990 600 ohm and I'm not hearing any noise, so my results have actually improved a bit from my initial install of the shielded cables.

They aren't cheap, but they aren't expensive either, well worth trying if you have RCA noise and are thinking of giving up on the A90. I decided to keep mine after the shielded cables fixed my A90 / D90 MQA noise problems.
Don't forget Gustard A18 too, it's worth investigating (same dac chip as D90),
The Gustard A18 is in the middle of being upgraded - adding the Optical Toslink input and MQA hardware changes (new XMOS XU216 assumed, but IDK) + firmware, so you might want to wait before rushing out and buying an A18 - check to make sure you are getting that new modded update version.

The Gustard A22 has Dual AK4499EQ's - but it is also long overdue for it's XMOS XU216 + MQA firmware update - it's been long enough that I think they might be considering waiting till the new generation replacement and won't update the A22.

And, don't forget the FiiO M15 with dual AK4499EQ's in a portable format, it's very nice too. :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #899 of 1,442
Could somebody comment about the options of replacing the volume knob by something more substantial? like, has somebody tried this already? is it a standard diameter size, like a round number, what is the exact diameter actually? Does ti has a bolt to be disassembled?

It's the only flaw I find on this device. In my JDS atom I can change the knob for an aluminium one better than the original which is very flat like this one. Maybe a green anodized one would be cool, or red... or silver, or pink, or purple!!! all anodized aluminium color look awesome.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Oct 25, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #900 of 1,442
Could somebody comment about the options of replacing the volume knob by something more substantial? like, has somebody tried this already? is it a standard diameter size, like a round number, what is the exact diameter actually? Does ti has a bolt to be disassembled?

It's the only flaw I find on this device. In my JDS atom I can change the knob for an aluminium one better than the original which is very flat like this one. Maybe a green anodized one would be cool, or red... or silver, or pink, or purple!!! all anodized aluminium color look awesome.

Thanks a lot in advance!!
Do you have some close-up pics of the knob? Like typical volume knobs, there may be a small screw at the knob.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back