Topping A90
Sep 30, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #781 of 1,442
If I connect my Dap to a90/d90 combo and steam music off my Dap. The Dap will simply work as music remote control. The dac and amp of the Dap will not work right? As only the dac of the d90 and the amp of the a90 will function right?

Also I can use 3.5 mm to rca to connect Dap to d90 right?

Will the remote control of d90 be able to turn up and down the volume of the a90?

thanks

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #782 of 1,442
If I connect my Dap to a90/d90 combo and steam music off my Dap. The Dap will simply work as music remote control. The dac and amp of the Dap will not work right? As only the dac of the d90 and the amp of the a90 will function right?

Also I can use 3.5 mm to rca to connect Dap to d90 right?

Will the remote control of d90 be able to turn up and down the volume of the a90?

thanks
I guess it's yes to all your questions. Make sure your DAP have coaxial out functionality, then you can connect your DAP to D90 w/ 3.5mm to RCA cable. Or you can use OTG cable to send USB audio to your D90.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #783 of 1,442
I guess it's yes to all your questions. Make sure your DAP have line out functionality, then you can connect your DAP to D90 w/ 3.5mm to RCA cable. Or you can use OTG cable to send USB audio to your D90.
The D90 only accepts digital input(USB, coax, Toslink, AES and I2S), it ouputs analog to the A90 via RCA or XLR.
Therefore you would directly connect your DAP to the A90 not the D90. Unless your DAP has 3.5mm Optical Out, which Astell&Kern products for example have, you are going about this incorrectly. To repeat, the D90 does not accept analog sources for input.

Your DAC(Digital to Analog Converter) and your DAP are the same thing.

There are DACs that have Analog inputs that are then processed and output to Analog again like the RME ADI-2 PRO FS BR to label one(the more expensive one).

Sep 30, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #784 of 1,442
Friends, my A90 stopped turning on after the power cable was removed from the turned-on device. there were no sounds like an explosion, no burning smell. I assume the fuse is broken. help me solve the problem., maybe someone had a similar experience?
if this was in this topic discussed earlier, I'm sorry I didn't see it.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #785 of 1,442
The D90 only accepts digital input(USB, coax, Toslink, AES and I2S), it ouputs analog to the A90 via RCA or XLR.
Therefore you would directly connect your DAP to the A90 not the D90. Unless your DAP has 3.5mm Optical Out, which Astell&Kern products for example have, you are going about this incorrectly. To repeat, the D90 does not accept analog sources for input.

Your DAC(Digital to Analog Converter) and your DAP are the same thing.

There are DACs that have Analog inputs that are then processed and output to Analog again like the RME ADI-2 PRO FS BR to label one(the more expensive one).
Thank you for your explanation.

I use Dap AK SR15 and N3Pro.

Would this cable work?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3707EC08-9FBD-41ED-82E3-BC7283E21E50.png
    3707EC08-9FBD-41ED-82E3-BC7283E21E50.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DCE8A7C8-E244-4C91-966E-2411CCB0D7C1.png
    DCE8A7C8-E244-4C91-966E-2411CCB0D7C1.png
    859.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #786 of 1,442
Thank you for your explanation.

I use Dap AK SR15 and N3Pro.

Would this cable work?

Thanks
Those cables will not work. You cannot convert your analog signal to digital with those cables. Those cables are for a DAP that already outputs digital via 3.5mm then goes into a digital input. But your players all use 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm as ANALOG ONLY outputs. Only their USB ports are digital outputs.

Ignore the brands I have linked or pictures, they are just for examples.

SR15 you have two options.
#1 USB out to the D90 with an OTG cable(USB micro-b OTB and then standard USB to the DAC. 2 cables total. The D90 will still use its internal AKM4499.
Or #2 to the A90 analog with either 2.5mm(TRRS) Balanced to XLR. https://www.amazon.com/2-5mm-Cable-...1&keywords=2.5mm+to+xlr&qid=1601517875&sr=8-6
#2b - Or 3.5mm to XLR. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K58FTR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
#2c - 3.5mm to RCA. https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-E...m+to+rca+audioquest+.6m&qid=1601518197&sr=8-1

For the Cayin you have the same options as above, but some additional choices:
For the A90 connection: 4.4mm Pentacon for balanced. So you could use 4.4 to XLR - on the LINE OUT treating the Cayin as a line source to the A90.
For the D90 connection: #1USB-C OTG and then USB to USB-B (still 2 cable connection) - https://us.amazon.com/Adapter-JSAUX...on+the+go&qid=1601518752&s=electronics&sr=1-3
or #2 - USB-C to RCA Coaxial (single cable connection) - https://us.amazon.com/Cayin-CS-30TCR-Type-C-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B0722NH4SK

So bottom line you have to decide which way you wish to connect to your equipment. Do you want the further digital processing of your DAP, then go via the D90. If you wish to listen to your DAP as the true source, then direct into the A90.

Or you could do both like I do with my Chord Mojo/Poly. One output goes to the A90 another does to a different DAC. Just depends on my mood.
You have the same choice as well. No reason why you cannot have multiple wiring options for your needs.

Attachments

• 319WuvZP27L._AC_.jpg
    319WuvZP27L._AC_.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 71bhL-Kx6+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71bhL-Kx6+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 51DkMBpCMPL._SL1280_.jpg
    51DkMBpCMPL._SL1280_.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 61i7jDv1rCL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    61i7jDv1rCL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 51-i9QMbnQL._AC_.jpg
    51-i9QMbnQL._AC_.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 51mQ-VwulWL._AC_SL1280_.jpg
    51mQ-VwulWL._AC_SL1280_.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 51knUaGdtkL._AC_.jpg
    51knUaGdtkL._AC_.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 61C9FoLzjeL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    61C9FoLzjeL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #787 of 1,442
Friends, my A90 stopped turning on after the power cable was removed from the turned-on device. there were no sounds like an explosion, no burning smell. I assume the fuse is broken. help me solve the problem., maybe someone had a similar experience?
if this was in this topic discussed earlier, I'm sorry I didn't see it.
I don't have first hand experience with a blown fuse on the A90, but I've read of a few and @JohnYang1997 responded to them - the first batch of A90's had 500ma slo blo fuses and inrush current was blowing some owners fuses regularly, so Topping switched to 1amp slo blo fuses for production. You can get replacement fuses from Topping or you can ask your seller to talk to Topping to get you replacements.

Also, not sure if it's true for the A90 but I saw someone pulled the fuse tray of the D90 (he wanted to switch to a Synergistic Orange audiophile fuse, yup) and there were 2 fuses in the tray - one is a backup - so you can try pulling the fuse tray on the A90 to see if it also has a spare fuse.

Here's a recent A90 fuse link on ASR, more such in that thread:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/post-525774

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #788 of 1,442
Those cables will not work. You cannot convert your analog signal to digital with those cables. Those cables are for a DAP that already outputs digital via 3.5mm then goes into a digital input. But your players all use 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm as ANALOG ONLY outputs. Only their USB ports are digital outputs.

Ignore the brands I have linked or pictures, they are just for examples.

SR15 you have two options.
#1 USB out to the D90 with an OTG cable(USB micro-b OTB and then standard USB to the DAC. 2 cables total. The D90 will still use its internal AKM4499.
Or #2 to the A90 analog with either 2.5mm(TRRS) Balanced to XLR. https://www.amazon.com/2-5mm-Cable-...1&keywords=2.5mm+to+xlr&qid=1601517875&sr=8-6
#2b - Or 3.5mm to XLR. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K58FTR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
#2c - 3.5mm to RCA. https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-E...m+to+rca+audioquest+.6m&qid=1601518197&sr=8-1

For the Cayin you have the same options as above, but some additional choices:
For the A90 connection: 4.4mm Pentacon for balanced. So you could use 4.4 to XLR - on the LINE OUT treating the Cayin as a line source to the A90.
For the D90 connection: #1USB-C OTG and then USB to USB-B (still 2 cable connection) - https://us.amazon.com/Adapter-JSAUX...on+the+go&qid=1601518752&s=electronics&sr=1-3
or #2 - USB-C to RCA Coaxial (single cable connection) - https://us.amazon.com/Cayin-CS-30TCR-Type-C-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B0722NH4SK

So bottom line you have to decide which way you wish to connect to your equipment. Do you want the further digital processing of your DAP, then go via the D90. If you wish to listen to your DAP as the true source, then direct into the A90.

Or you could do both like I do with my Chord Mojo/Poly. One output goes to the A90 another does to a different DAC. Just depends on my mood.
You have the same choice as well. No reason why you cannot have multiple wiring options for your needs.

Thank you very much for your very well explained and easy to understand explanations :)

I have 1 last question, I only have the a90 as of now and not the d90 yet. Do you think that sound quality would be significantly better if I purchase the d90? Or would connecting the A90 to SR15 or N3Pro be more than adequate?

Thank you

Oct 1, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #789 of 1,442
Thank you very much for your very well explained and easy to understand explanations :)

I have 1 last question, I only have the a90 as of now and not the d90 yet. Do you think that sound quality would be significantly better if I purchase the d90? Or would connecting the A90 to SR15 or N3Pro be more than adequate?

Thank you
You currently own two wonderful DACs with your DMPs. You are now choosing different amplification with the A90. Perhaps for more demanding headphones, like I have to. The D90 is the latest AKM chipset vs your SR15. Will you truly hear a difference in SQ? Honestly, I doubt it. But as audiophiles we chase that last 5% of perfection. Maybe you want native MQA, that could be a reason to add a D90.
I needed an A90 for the bedroom because I wanted to also power my Abyss and HD800 S during Covid as opposed to my dedicated headphone station located in another area. enough and pretty enough that my wife doesnt complain about it on a bedside table.

Adding another DAC adds more cabling. Power, USB, RCA, XLR and sometimes a network cable if you use things like Roon.

Or in your case, WiFi, AK Connect for control and you are done with only an A90.

Yes the A90/D90 stack does look really cool. I chose to hold off for now. My A90 has an AK380cu with XLR out via the cradle (dual AKM4490), and Mojo/Poly for Roon via WiFi. That is two DACs connected to the A90.

***The dilemma becomes is there a DAC that will sound better than our current sources. Because to purchase another dedicated DAC is to remove our DMPs from the equation. What purpose do they serve except as data storage for the actual music?***

Therefore, the truly next logical upgrade would be to remove both current DACs and replace them with a D90 or something better. That is the same position you are in.

This line of reasoning therefore concludes that our currents sources/DMPs are ready to be replaced with DACs that are demonstrably better than our current sources. If this is the case you buy the better DAC.

Are you at that point? Are you dissatisfied with your DMPs? Simple question.
Hard answer? Yup.

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #790 of 1,442
You currently own two wonderful DACs with your DMPs. You are now choosing different amplification with the A90. Perhaps for more demanding headphones, like I have to. The D90 is the latest AKM chipset vs your SR15. Will you truly hear a difference in SQ? Honestly, I doubt it. But as audiophiles we chase that last 5% of perfection. Maybe you want native MQA, that could be a reason to add a D90.
I needed an A90 for the bedroom because I wanted to also power my Abyss and HD800 S during Covid as opposed to my dedicated headphone station located in another area. enough and pretty enough that my wife doesnt complain about it on a bedside table.

Adding another DAC adds more cabling. Power, USB, RCA, XLR and sometimes a network cable if you use things like Roon.

Or in your case, WiFi, AK Connect for control and you are done with only an A90.

Yes the A90/D90 stack does look really cool. I chose to hold off for now. My A90 has an AK380cu with XLR out via the cradle (dual AKM4490), and Mojo/Poly for Roon via WiFi. That is two DACs connected to the A90.

***The dilemma becomes is there a DAC that will sound better than our current sources. Because to purchase another dedicated DAC is to remove our DMPs from the equation. What purpose do they serve except as data storage for the actual music?***

Therefore, the truly next logical upgrade would be to remove both current DACs and replace them with a D90 or something better. That is the same position you are in.

This line of reasoning therefore concludes that our currents sources/DMPs are ready to be replaced with DACs that are demonstrably better than our current sources. If this is the case you buy the better DAC.

Are you at that point? Are you dissatisfied with your DMPs? Simple question.
Hard answer? Yup.
Thank you very much for your very good analysis and insight. I have made up my mind to stick with my SR15 and N3Pro for now :)

Oct 1, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #791 of 1,442
Good news, dear friends )))
The failure described earlier was related to the fuse. After contacting the Aoshida-HIFI store, he sent me the repair instructions and now the A90 is working fine again!
Maybe someone will need it. link to the archive with instructions.
fix fuse

Oct 1, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #792 of 1,442
For some reason I did not like the legendary hd6xx (similiar to hd650) much until I paired it with the topping a90. The a90 really have the power and tonality to help make the hd6xx sounds much better compared to other amp desktop and daps that I have been previously using. Now I am able to understand why so many love the hd650/6xx.

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #793 of 1,442
I just did some brief testing between a90+IPhone X and a90+AK SR15 using tidal. Sound quality on master tidal songs was better and more detailed on a90+SR15. For hifi tidal songs the difference was very minimal between both set up. Which leave me to believe that the differences in sound quality between DACs are very minimal. However the differences between amp are more significant based on my hearing. I could hear differences between N3Pro and SR15 , Asgard 2 and a90 using same headphones etc. but dac on IPhone X vs SR15 , using a90 amp was pretty close beside master tidal music files.

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #794 of 1,442
I just did some brief testing between a90+IPhone X and a90+AK SR15 using tidal. Sound quality on master tidal songs was better and more detailed on a90+SR15. For hifi tidal songs the difference was very minimal between both set up. Which leave me to believe that the differences in sound quality between DACs are very minimal. However the differences between amp are more significant based on my hearing. I could hear differences between N3Pro and SR15 , Asgard 2 and a90 using same headphones etc. but dac on IPhone X vs SR15 , using a90 amp was pretty close beside master tidal music files.
Does the SR15 do MQA full unfolding? Does the SR15 signal when MQA unfolding is occurring? I don't think the iPhone X does full unfolding either.

You might try the D90 MQA full unfolding of Tidal Masters + A90 vs. your iPhone X + A90 and SR15 + A90

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #795 of 1,442
Does the SR15 do MQA full unfolding? Does the SR15 signal when MQA unfolding is occurring? I don't think the iPhone X does full unfolding either.

You might try the D90 MQA full unfolding of Tidal Masters + A90 vs. your iPhone X + A90 and SR15 + A90
Yep I think the SR15 support mqa I read it somewhere but iPhone X does not support MQA. But whether the SR15 does full unfolding of mqa I’m not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back