Topping A90
Jul 29, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #556 of 1,442
After the Arya, your next step is to get the Susvara!

Haha, this is so true. Already heard the Susvara and TOPL Abyss. Susvara is my destiny, no doubt. :o2smile:

But, for now, I am addicted and happy with Arya/A90/D90. That is a good sign, because I have a strong case of upgradetitus, the Arya/A90 is my vaccine for now.

Jul 29, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #558 of 1,442
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #559 of 1,442
Anyone had this weird issue wherein the MQA indicator is not consistent? On some files it shows "MQA" and on some it shows "MQA.".
I haven't used the A90 but I do have the D90 MQA DAC. This is covered in the user guide which defines both those categories, plus a third that I have never seen. Unfortunately, the "definitions," at least the English versions, impart virtually nothing, but another poster stated in the D90 thread that MQA. (with a period) was studio approved and MQA was not. Take it for what you will.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #560 of 1,442
YES! I have exactly the same. Coming from a SMLS SP200 amp, ARYA's improvement is sensational. Arya seem to scale so well to the quality power output of the A90.

This combination is so freaking seductive, the soundfield is 3D, hyper realistic, huge and has so much depth, it musical and punchy/fast, pleasant warm/neutral, super extended (especially sub bass impact/definition), less need for EQ, super detailed but never analytical. It reminds me of listening to my 15K hifi, it is an utterly immersive experience. The A90 is such a perfect partner for the Arya.

Did you also experience a slightly warmer/more lush presentation coming from other amps? I have no desire to EQ anymore.
It is really nice to know this combo is so good with arya because I was scared to try this combo because some people said it is bright. after seeing many people enjoying arya with this combo I will buy D90/A90.

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #561 of 1,442
Hah man, I've got some combos and the D90/A90 are great with a certain chain but with brighter dynamic headphones they are a nightmare for me. It's all about synergy. The D90/A90 is absolutely not the end all, but a great pair of measurement based equipment.

I have the A90 too,no problems, folks who can't afford the Toppings or SMSL because they spent money on BS are complaining.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #562 of 1,442
Hah man, I've got some combos and the D90/A90 are great with a certain chain but with brighter dynamic headphones they are a nightmare for me. It's all about synergy. The D90/A90 is absolutely not the end all, but a great pair of measurement based equipment.
Do you rate equipment based on how its smooths weaknesses of certain headphones?
Every gear with short singal path or less imperfections in signal path gonna sound neutral.
Its kinda funny actually when majority of headphones have anemic bass respone or mids that are so thin that it makes vocals sound like elfs.
Ofc copper, tubes, r2r dacs, low quallity connectors can roll of highs extension and make everything slower and more pleasant.
Why does silver sound brighter than copper on the other hand? Is it because it is more true to the source or headphones connected or does it magically eq highs lol.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #563 of 1,442
Hah I can't answer all those questions for I don't know the secret sauce. But I do know that having different flavors is key. I rate equipment based on my ability to be engaged in music and listen for long a duration enjoyable without fatigue. The D90/A90 with HD600 sounds AMAZING but fatigues fast. Bifrost 2/GL MK2 sounds great but not as fast or snappy, HOWEVER I can listen forever and be swept up in the music with the same headphone. The D/A90 fairs better with the HD660S for a bit longer listening. I've other headphones as well but as I said, synergy and listen ability ranks high for my preference. If you can listen to a sharp sound for a long duration, more power to those folks!

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #564 of 1,442
Hah I can't answer all those questions for I don't know the secret sauce. But I do know that having different flavors is key. I rate equipment based on my ability to be engaged in music and listen for long a duration enjoyable without fatigue. The D90/A90 with HD600 sounds AMAZING but fatigues fast. Bifrost 2/GL MK2 sounds great but not as fast or snappy, HOWEVER I can listen forever and be swept up in the music with the same headphone. The D/A90 fairs better with the HD660S for a bit longer listening. I've other headphones as well but as I said, synergy and listen ability ranks high for my preference. If you can listen to a sharp sound for a long duration, more power to those folks!

Interesting how I experience the A90 to be clearly less harsh with my Arya in comparison to the SMSL SP200. This is clearly a very personal/subjective experience, and highly dependant on the headphone. You run balanced cables?

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #565 of 1,442
I do run BAL. When I tested the HE-560 on the D/A90 I didn't have brightness and fatigue, just the HD600s in this case.

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #566 of 1,442
I received my A90 today, but it seems I am also affected by the wobbly volume knob issue (mine is like the short video clip some posts ago). Even Topping says its normal for all units, I read here also many comments that their unit is not affected. If this is not the case for every unit and a replacement could solve the issue or is this rather pointless?

(otherwise the A90 makes good initial impression paired with the RME ADI-2 DAC)

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #567 of 1,442
I received my A90 today, but it seems I am also affected by the wobbly volume knob issue (mine is like the short video clip some posts ago). Even Topping says its normal for all units, I read here also many comments that their unit is not affected. If this is not the case for every unit and a replacement could solve the issue or is this rather pointless?

(otherwise the A90 makes good initial impression paired with the RME ADI-2 DAC)
I replaced my A90 through Apos for the pot issue, A+ service if you got it from there. The new one's soft pot area is much less noticable.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #568 of 1,442
I received my A90 today, but it seems I am also affected by the wobbly volume knob issue (mine is like the short video clip some posts ago).
Can you pull a knob out with a moderate force? If you can't, then you have one of these early units with a knob assembled using a vice or hammer. These pots are likely damaged at the factory.

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #569 of 1,442
The issue that you pretend to know about isn't caused by the SMPS in series, it's simple earth loop hum caused by multiple earthed components. A concept which has been around since the dawn of AC mains. You can remove it using an isolator. Simple.

If you don't want to buy the A90. Don't. No one is forcing you. It doesn't appear that you own one, so why are you forcing your opinion on to others? You're just furious that your D30 didn't perform they way you like and so you berate every single Topping thread. It's shambolic.
Guy doesn't have the money to purchase one all he gotta do is save his money, measurements means a lot,so you won't over pay for inferior product but is not the end game,so called high price product is not always better,most times it inferior,but people gotta make money, I don't buy pretty, that said if it sounds good to you,than it's good enough for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back