Topping A90
Jun 15, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #166 of 1,442
I think your wife has a point. Headphone amps are like shoes - you buy one [pair], then use it until it falls apart. Also, when buying one, go as cheap as possible, because even the cheapest get the job done. :wink:

Seriously though, I set aside a small fun, just-for-me budget every month, for which I don't have to ask anyone for advice or approval.

Ha! Totally get what you mean. I was just thinking how I thought the 789 was "end game" for me. But I'm soooon realizing there is no such thing. It took me 3+ years to settle on a new amp and by that time the 789 is already 2+ years old now. That is the only reason why I was thinking of spending more on the A90. What I should have done was instead of the SMSL M200, maybe get the E30 and use the savings from that and put it toward the A90 but it's too late to return the M200 now.

Definitely thankful for this community of people to talk through this with!

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #167 of 1,442
Gotcha.

I'm currently in the process of auditioning a few 'neutral' balanced amps myself.

Right now I just have the Jotunheim, and so far, I'm not really liking it very much. The term "ruthlessly revealing" is often used in high-end audio to describe something that is cooler than neutral, to the point of it being cold and harsh sounding. Well, the Jotunheim is brutally revealing! It can literally become painful to listen to, even with relatively good sounding recordings. Unless the recording is absolutely flawless, the Jot's sound can become quite fatiguing in it's tonal character. So unless it does some kind of amazing 180 in the next week (which is highly unlikely), I'll probably be returning it.

I'm hoping to have a better experience with the THX AAA 789 when it arrives next week. And once I get a good idea of the 789's SQ, I'll definitely be giving the A90 a try next.

I'll keep you guys posted on my findings.
What do you think about the 789? Not sure if you received it yet :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #169 of 1,442
Just checked at the Topping A90 photos and was surprised that it is utilized tpa6120a2 as the amplification chips that cost $ 1.5 at the digi-key. I remember that the same chips were installed in the DAART Aquila and the sound was unremarkable. It is difficult to imagine good amplifier with the consumption current is 15mA (just saying that watching on data-sheet of TI). And what is hidden at NFCA module
d16c9b6aa1b98605146e7eed21becc844e72f10a_2_666x500.jpeg

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #170 of 1,442
Just checked at the Topping A90 photos and was surprised that it is utilized tpa6120a2 as the amplification chips that cost $ 1.5 at the digi-key. I remember that the same chips were installed in the DAART Aquila and the sound was unremarkable. It is difficult to imagine good amplifier with the consumption current is 15mA (just saying that watching on data-sheet of TI). And what is hidden at NFCA module
Ask @JohnYang1997 in this thread - he should be able to help you get your questions answered:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.13592/post-431311

He works at Topping on the A90, :)

You might read all of his replies / posts first in that thread before asking, he might have already answered your questions.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #171 of 1,442
d16c9b6aa1b98605146e7eed21becc844e72f10a_2_666x500.jpeg

Each tpa6120a2 can output 500mA. And this is why they need heatsink.

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #174 of 1,442
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #176 of 1,442
Saying that Sandu likes the A90 is an understatement. He talks about it like a teenager in love. Many seem to think that the Benchmark HPA4 is the pinnacle of the THX technology and Sandu has said in his review (https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/he...x-789-vs-benchmark-hpa4-battle-of-the-thx-es/) that the HPA4 is better than the THX AAA-789.
Now, it the A90 review, Sandu says that the A90 is pretty much on par with the HPA4. Upon hearing that, I lost my nerve completely and bought the A90. If it turns out to be a disappointment, I will blame Sandu!

Regarding the DAC pairing, how much better, do you guys reckon, the Chord Qutest would be than the D90?
Since the Qutest does not have balanced output, how much of the A90's potential am I losing?

Jun 16, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #177 of 1,442
Saying that Sandu likes the A90 is an understatement. He talks about it like a teenager in love. Many seem to think that the Benchmark HPA4 is the pinnacle of the THX technology and Sandu has said in his review (https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/he...x-789-vs-benchmark-hpa4-battle-of-the-thx-es/) that the HPA4 is better than the THX AAA-789.
Now, it the A90 review, Sandu says that the A90 is pretty much on par with the HPA4. Upon hearing that, I lost my nerve completely and bought the A90. If it turns out to be a disappointment, I will blame Sandu!

Regarding the DAC pairing, how much better, do you guys reckon, the Chord Qutest would be than the D90?
Since the Qutest does not have balanced output, how much of the A90's potential am I losing?
When on high gain past 2 o clock I can hear some noise, and I’m using RCA cables as interconnects. I’m switching to XLR to get rid of the noise, but YMMV.

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #178 of 1,442
When on high gain past 2 o clock I can hear some noise, and I’m using RCA cables as interconnects. I’m switching to XLR to get rid of the noise, but YMMV.

I'm assuming you're talking about your A90 + Chord Qutest. How would you connect A90 to Qutest if the Qutest does not have balanced outputs? There are RCA-to-XLR cables of course, but is there any point at all in using those instead of RCA-to-RCA cables, since the DAC has no XLR output?

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #179 of 1,442
Got my D90 delivered just before I went to work. Can't wait to spend some time with it later.

20200616_113823.jpg

Jun 16, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #180 of 1,442

Wow, you have so much blind faith in a reviewer that promotes audio equipment. Never quite understood this.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back