Topping A90
May 18, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #16 of 1,442
Yep both the Topping D90 and SMSL M400 are priced too high for what they are. I'll look for them is the $200 price range on headfi in ~18-24 months.
I dont think you can find the d90 under 300usd. It is very nice piece of dac though I have to agree it is a bit pricey for what it is. Still it is very good dac. I am curious of the a90 but I am not a fan of thx and its ultralinear sounds charscteristic.

May 19, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #20 of 1,442
Yep both the Topping D90 and SMSL M400 are priced too high for what they are. I'll look for them is the $200 price range on headfi in ~18-24 months.

SMSL SU-8 still sells for about $170 used, ~24 months after it's been launched, and it's a lower class device. You are, obviously, free to look for D90 in any price range but good luck ever finding it for $200.

May 19, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #21 of 1,442
@bahamot Hey, yeah I know the Topping a90 is not based on thx technology. I am very curious about its design topology, whether it is class A, class AB or D. Anyway, its spec and measurement seems promising. I really love to get my hand on it to try out the sound quality though.

May 19, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #26 of 1,442
I’m confused by the comments about the price point. Some of you think this amp is overpriced, but haven’t heard it or seen the measurements. It very well could be on par with the Benchmark amps which I’m guessing you don’t have a problem with even though their price is almost 5 times that of this amp. I think we are all lucky to have amps of this caliber for this price.

May 21, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #27 of 1,442
It is a little bit overprice if you compare with Drop/Monoprice THX. If you use the preamp feature then you have the benefit that those two amps doesn't have. Otherwise for headphone amp alone. It still a bit overprice.

I will not use the preamp output but I still want it to stack with D90. I think this amp shines on headphone and preamp sections. If I can trade $100 or even $50 for no preamp output. I'm going to trade that. Also, if you want a balanced headphone amp with a great measurement like this. Geshelli Labs Erish is coming soon and I believe it will not cost $500 (should be sub $350).

The thing I don't like most is .. why pre-order if you don't get any benefit from that. I don't think it will be on a very high demand that they can't supply to retailer when it released.
Anyway, Taobao.com has a very good deal. About 10% off for pre-order (300 CNY discount). If you not live in the US or EU. Its a good alternative choice.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #28 of 1,442
I am excited about this amp but honestly, I think its price is a bit higher than the true value (always loved to be proven wrong), I am not pretty sure if they preamp function is any useful and lets put it this way if it is good preamp, I have doubt about it. Anyway, I think with times this product will get to round 420 to 450usd in a month. I love Topping, and I would love them to come up with something even crazier than this lets say their flagship, their design and what they think a flagship amp or dac should be.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #29 of 1,442
Also, if you want a balanced headphone amp with a great measurement like this. Geshelli Labs Erish is coming soon and I believe it will not cost $500 (should be sub $350).

Complete with only one output, 1/7 the power and DIY looks.

if it is good preamp, I have doubt about it

Based on what?

Funny how people are, like, ooh, this is $70 more expensive than it should be. How do you measure that, why shouldn't it cost $470 or $410?

May 22, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #30 of 1,442
Will pile in on the pricing discussion. I have no problem with Topping, SMSL, Benchmark, or anyone else charging whatever they want.

For me, though, there are just too many great options in the ~$300 range to pay much more for a DAC or Amp. You are paying for features you PROBABLY can live without, and you are paying for sound differences almost no human could discern in a proper A/B test. Basically you are paying for bragging rights and bling. Nothing, absolutely, nothing, wrong with that, but it isn’t necessary.

For DACs I am happy with my DX7s, D50s, and M500, and amps 789, Geshelli Archel 2 Pro, and JDS Atom. Will I ever upgrade any of these? Probably! But not at the the price points the A90 or the D90 are selling for. I don’t need or want them that badly. But that IS JUST ME and others can and most definitely will feel differently, and I am happy for them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back