Topping A90
Jul 8, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #361 of 1,442
Just got the A90/D90MQA stack -- Apos delivered 3 days ahead of schedule! Really delighted with the sound. This may be an endgame setup, as I can't imagine what more I'd want or expect sonically, from, say, a Chord DAVE or some other ultra-high end gear. The 4.4mm Pentaconn output is a game-changer, as it allows me to have one cable for both desktop and DAP. I was curious as to how much better it might sound than my HiBy R6 Pro, and the answer is: quite a bit. The whole presentation is just BIGGER, punchier, and smoother. More detail everywhere. Sound feels very warm and organic, pairs really well with Focal Utopias. Loving it with both MQA and Qobuz Hi-Res. This will be the acid test for which streaming service I marry.

IMG_1999.jpeg

Do you have Dave ? and you compare them ? :)

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #362 of 1,442
Quick Question audio experts, Just ordered the A90... already have the THX 789... Can I use the A90 as a preamp balanced to my THX 789? trying to share the D90 DAC between the A90 and THX 789. 789 will power my TH900 and A90 will power my HD800S... is this a good idea or should i use the RCA output of the D90 to the THX 789?
Im really hoping you can A/B test these two. I didn’t have the luxury of testing them both.. I had to return the 789 before the A90 came in. Can you please share your thoughts once you listen to them?

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #363 of 1,442
Do you have Dave ? and you compare them ? :)

No, I can't afford a DAVE right now, nor do I feel the need to audition any new gear after getting a system I enjoy. What I meant was that I can't imagine what more in the way of performance a DAVE would bring to the table that would justify the cost. I have little doubt that a Dave would win in an A/B with my Topping stack. It's also over eight times as expensive (new). Would the same Qobuz or Tidal track sound eight times as good on the DAVE? Maybe? I suspect not. I'm fine not knowing, too.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #366 of 1,442
I felt the same way! I returned the 789 and got the A90 without A/B due to all of the reviews. I’m just using it with a HD650 via single ended and I’m not so sure I like it better. I thought something must be wrong with me if everyone has been raving about it. It def sounds warmer which is why I wanted to get it in the first place but when the song gets busy it doesn’t sound the same. I don’t know what to do. Was hoping for this to be my end game amp..I just got it a couple of days ago and not sure if it’ll get better over time? Also using the M200 as my dac.

I've had similar experience with 660s and I swapped for the 4.4m pentacon cable and it was night and day difference. (with Se sounded pretty terrible on every gain) I highly recommend to get a balanced cable for your sennheiser I think it would improve a lot. I will test it with my Focal Clear too but I've only used the Balanced option there.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #367 of 1,442
No, I can't afford a DAVE right now, nor do I feel the need to audition any new gear after getting a system I enjoy. What I meant was that I can't imagine what more in the way of performance a DAVE would bring to the table that would justify the cost. I have little doubt that a Dave would win in an A/B with my Topping stack. It's also over eight times as expensive (new). Would the same Qobuz or Tidal track sound eight times as good on the DAVE? Maybe? I suspect not. I'm fine not knowing, too.
Something 8 times the price would sound 10 to 15 % better in the audio world

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #368 of 1,442
Something 8 times the price would sound 10 to 15 % better in the audio world

What formula did you use? Wonder what 12.5% improvement sounds like.

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #369 of 1,442
What formula did you use? Wonder what 12.5% improvement sounds like.
Thats not a formula thats just experience

Maybe this video tells you more about what i mean

12.5 % better sound is like "is it better, yes a bit but is it actually worth hmmm no it isn't. But do i want it yes actually yes.

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #371 of 1,442
Thats not a formula thats just experience

Maybe this video tells you more about what i mean

12.5 % better sound is like "is it better, yes a bit but is it actually worth hmmm no it isn't. But do i want it yes actually yes.

I was being sarcastic, but thanks for being a good sport. 😅👍😬

Jul 8, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #372 of 1,442
I've had similar experience with 660s and I swapped for the 4.4m pentacon cable and it was night and day difference. (with Se sounded pretty terrible on every gain) I highly recommend to get a balanced cable for your sennheiser I think it would improve a lot. I will test it with my Focal Clear too but I've only used the Balanced option there.

Wish they were cheaper. :frowning2: Is there a place to find them used? Sorry still new to this!

Jul 9, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #373 of 1,442
It's been a while since I listened to my lcd4. Need to pull out my monoprice 887 again to compare. The a90 sounds different..
20200709_004156~01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back