Topping A90
Jul 5, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #316 of 1,442
I bought THX 789 once, but its DAC section is a joke, so I returned it.
However, it really sound good, so I purchase SP200, and it didn't perform as good,
and after compared it with Burson Audio with V6 Vivid opamp, I sold it.
I am not so sure about THX performace now.

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #317 of 1,442
However, it really sound good, so I purchase SP200, and it didn't perform as good,

DAC section? I'm pretty sure it's a dedicated HP amp, not an all-in-one unit.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #318 of 1,442
So far I am impressed with the A90 and is very close in sound to my Monoprice THX 887 but with a very slight warm sound. But not as warm compared to my Violectric HPA V281 amp which sound like my Euforia tube amp. More than likely I will sell the 887 and use the A90 with my Chord Dave. I noticed a huge improvement in sound Single Ended with my HD 800 headphones vs the Dave single ended, but still trying to find a balanced cable for it. The only thing I DISLIKE on the A90 is the small volume noob. I wish it stuck out more it's to small not in width but in depth.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #320 of 1,442

SP200 is the weakest performer in THX lineup so i would urge you to not give up on THX without trying Drop THX 789 or Monolith THX 887 and pair it with a top of the line DAC to truly het to know the potential of that topology.
Monolith THX AMP-DAC combo has a mediocre DAC (~$200 mark DACs)

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #321 of 1,442
SP200 is the weakest performer in THX lineup so i would urge you to not give up on THX without trying Drop THX 789 or Monolith THX 887 and pair it with a top of the line DAC to truly het to know the potential of that topology.
Monolith THX AMP-DAC combo has a mediocre DAC (~$200 mark DACs)
See this comment from master Switch:

Compare it to the similarly priced Burson PLAY; both of them are minimalist, but the PLAY manages to be both striking and innovative. In our opinion, the AAA 789 is just dull. It’s an excellent amplifier, however, if slightly utilitarian.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #322 of 1,442
See this comment from master Switch:

Compare it to the similarly priced Burson PLAY; both of them are minimalist, but the PLAY manages to be both striking and innovative. In our opinion, the AAA 789 is just dull. It’s an excellent amplifier, however, if slightly utilitarian.
Agreed, Bursin Play is a class A amp so it will definitely be more warmer, thicker and punchier compared to other liner amps like THX.
But I was assuming we are only comparing liner amps here to have better synergy with other parts of our setup.
I have LCD-4 which are already warmer and punchier in bass so i am looking to pair it with a liner and holographic dac and amp.
So going warmer with a90 or class A amp wouldn’t be my goal.
But if you have Wider and thinner sounding headphones then obviously you want to go towards thicker and warmer dac amps

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #324 of 1,442
SMSL is coming out with SP400 based on THX to stack with my M400, and I'm banking on that as far as THX amps go.

I also have the D90(MQA) and A90, which I both love.

A90, 789, SP200, 888, etc.... all sound awesome and measure well. Just pick your flavor and you won't go wrong whichever route you decide to take.

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #326 of 1,442
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #327 of 1,442
Any data on sp400?

Last I heard from SMSL rep was June release. Well, we're now in July. :thinking:

They're probably trying their best to test/tune/tweak in-house to ensure it has better measurements than the A90 before release.

I think there's a measurement war going on among certain chi-fi brands. Can't say that's always a good thing though, when they start skimping in other areas just to have products that measure well (i.e. supposedly lack of output buffer on M400).

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #328 of 1,442
I have been doing some serious ABX testing between A90 and THX 789 using D90 and LCD-4 for the past week.
Very first thing I noticed was a90 seemed little warmer but upon further listening i hear that it has more clarity in mids and much better sub bass compared to THX. But it takes a hit on upper notes, it lacks air on top. The overall synergy is of more details on individual instruments; but as the tracks gets busy, the soundstage, imagine and separation takes a hit.

It degrades the holographic nature compared to THX, which is the whole game-plan/aim of my setup with LCD4 and d90. It feels more musical but lacks the 3D nature which makes the headphones disappear. I always felt that I am wearing the headphones even after 15-20 minutes of listening.

Upon further research i found that on paper, a90 has much better slew rates but much worse crosstalk between channels.

This confirms my findings that a90 sufferers in separation and soundstage which ultimately ruins the “in the room” holographic sound.
THX on the other hand feels so effortless even with less sub bass impact and individual instrument details. Just because it maintains that Impressive spatial separation and room size clues, no matter how busy the track gets.

I really wanted to like A90 to pair with d90 in terms of sound and looks. I tried really hard to like it but I just couldn’t ruin the main objective of my setup. So sadly I am returning it and keeping my old faithful THX 789.

238B8B9A-5F95-4537-A0C4-17A80FF52EC6.jpegB43EE4FE-114A-412B-9677-DA3112D3D999.jpeg4B65305E-DDA2-49F3-9D24-090A9684E7CB.jpeg

I'd agree w/ your impressions.. it's a great amp for $500, clean and powerful, but one glaring downside for me is soundstage and imaging are mediocre at best.

_DSC7714.jpg

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #329 of 1,442
I have been doing some serious ABX testing between A90 and THX 789 using D90 and LCD-4 for the past week.
Very first thing I noticed was a90 seemed little warmer but upon further listening i hear that it has more clarity in mids and much better sub bass compared to THX. But it takes a hit on upper notes, it lacks air on top. The overall synergy is of more details on individual instruments; but as the tracks gets busy, the soundstage, imagine and separation takes a hit.

It degrades the holographic nature compared to THX, which is the whole game-plan/aim of my setup with LCD4 and d90. It feels more musical but lacks the 3D nature which makes the headphones disappear. I always felt that I am wearing the headphones even after 15-20 minutes of listening.

Upon further research i found that on paper, a90 has much better slew rates but much worse crosstalk between channels.

This confirms my findings that a90 sufferers in separation and soundstage which ultimately ruins the “in the room” holographic sound.
THX on the other hand feels so effortless even with less sub bass impact and individual instrument details. Just because it maintains that Impressive spatial separation and room size clues, no matter how busy the track gets.

I really wanted to like A90 to pair with d90 in terms of sound and looks. I tried really hard to like it but I just couldn’t ruin the main objective of my setup. So sadly I am returning it and keeping my old faithful THX 789.

238B8B9A-5F95-4537-A0C4-17A80FF52EC6.jpegB43EE4FE-114A-412B-9677-DA3112D3D999.jpeg4B65305E-DDA2-49F3-9D24-090A9684E7CB.jpeg
The crosstalk is worse in low gain but it is superb in medium and high gain according to the tests

Jul 5, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #330 of 1,442
So far I am impressed with the A90 and is very close in sound to my Monoprice THX 887 but with a very slight warm sound. But not as warm compared to my Violectric HPA V281 amp which sound like my Euforia tube amp. More than likely I will sell the 887 and use the A90 with my Chord Dave. I noticed a huge improvement in sound Single Ended with my HD 800 headphones vs the Dave single ended, but still trying to find a balanced cable for it. The only thing I DISLIKE on the A90 is the small volume noob. I wish it stuck out more it's to small not in width but in depth.
How does the A90 weigh up to the V281 in terms of sound? I have a V281 myself as well but I’m still waiting for my Topping stack to arrive. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back