Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
May 3, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #736 of 807
It's not only one thing in the setup. What about DAC...and not to mention all the headphones that give different experiences, what about cables and everything that makes one setup complete? After all, there are so many variables with gear...but even more when it comes to music.
I am not even an audiophile; I am a music lover. Why do I have the impression that more than 90% of what I read about people mentioning gears always seems to be it's spoken out of the contest, mentioning isolated one gear and its characteristics? What about other things in the setup? Don't they influence the final sound?
I have several different setups, and mixing gear always gives different results. It's never one thing.

I listen to a lot of electronic music with A90D, and I like it a lot. I am not only a music lover; I have a big passion for electronic music, for 30+ years now. And electronic music is a really broad term.

Laid Back..."Bakerman" : )

Enjoy music!

Cheers!
Yeah it could definitely be the chain. I’m using the Modius, which I understand to a warm leaning DAC. Curious, what are you using?

May 4, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #737 of 807
Yeah it could definitely be the chain. I’m using the Modius, which I understand to a warm leaning DAC. Curious, what are you using?
Topping E50+Schiit Magni Heresy (Mac/Spotify)
Topping E30+JDS LAB (PC/anything)
Topping E70+Topping A90D (CD Player/Spotify)
One more setup...but it's not in the same cathegory as these above.
(Several headphones)

Hmm. It's all about likings, as you said. I really wouldn't know what to recommend because, as I said...I am a music lover, not an audiophile. Music matters to me; I see things about sound as a nice reward, a great reward. But I can get used to any sound, almost any...unless something really is not right.
Perhaps the key might be in DAC; as you said, its warm leaning. Perhaps combo is not the best. Perhaps DAC is the reason for lacking dynamics? I didn't prefer bass with the E50+Heresy combo; not with every song, but many didn't work as I would like. I changed the cable (original VDH D-102 MK III), and suddenly the bass was better.

I am not the person to write much about sound : ) Final impression, perhaps, but in detail, absolutely not. I can write more about music. That's where I am more focused. But maybe you should give A90D a bit more try before returning it.
I like A90D, the whole package, and the sound.

Cheers!

P.S. If you look at the thread "Show us your Head-Fi station", and how many people are active and with vast collections of stuff, you would have the impression that hundreds will answer when you ask for help, recommendations, or advice. But most of the time, it is one or two or none...hm, that's sad.
I wish you luck that you find what you are looking for.

May 4, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #738 of 807
Topping E50+Schiit Magni Heresy (Mac/Spotify)
Topping E30+JDS LAB (PC/anything)
Topping E70+Topping A90D (CD Player/Spotify)
One more setup...but it's not in the same cathegory as these above.
(Several headphones)

Hmm. It's all about likings, as you said. I really wouldn't know what to recommend because, as I said...I am a music lover, not an audiophile. Music matters to me; I see things about sound as a nice reward, a great reward. But I can get used to any sound, almost any...unless something really is not right.
Perhaps the key might be in DAC; as you said, its warm leaning. Perhaps combo is not the best. Perhaps DAC is the reason for lacking dynamics? I didn't prefer bass with the E50+Heresy combo; not with every song, but many didn't work as I would like. I changed the cable (original VDH D-102 MK III), and suddenly the bass was better.

I am not the person to write much about sound : ) Final impression, perhaps, but in detail, absolutely not. I can write more about music. That's where I am more focused. But maybe you should give A90D a bit more try before returning it.
I like A90D, the whole package, and the sound.

Cheers!

P.S. If you look at the thread "Show us your Head-Fi station", and how many people are active and with vast collections of stuff, you would have the impression that hundreds will answer when you ask for help, recommendations, or advice. But most of the time, it is one or two or none...hm, that's sad.
I wish you luck that you find what you are looking for.
Guess you are a Topping DAC fan then? 😁 yeah I will try pairing with a more neutral DAC before giving me final assessment. Thanks for all the suggestions!

UPDATE:
Picked up an Eversolo Z8 and now I'm getting the dynamic punch I was missing. The added resolution helps as well. The Modius does seem to be a warm sounding DAC, which pairs well with the sharpness of the Magnius. For my tastes, the A90D pairs well with a more clinical DAC.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #739 of 807
Hahaha, it looks like I am. Just a coincidence; it could be any other if Amazon has more to offer. I could say I am more fan of Amazon. Topping just as much as any other, Schiit is cool too at that price range, I like it, but Amazon doesn't offer it. Just be careful not to miss returning date if you still won't like A90D ; )
Good luck with moon fishing! : )
Btw, E50 is a lot, a lot warmer sounding than E70, as I could notice.

Cheers!

P.S. Can you write a short insight into those headphones that you have? I am exploring what's the best planar, but not sky-high in price. I have Monolith M1060c, and I like it a lot, but I am interested if there are better ones that would surprise me as HD 800s did.

May 5, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #740 of 807
Hahaha, it looks like I am. Just a coincidence; it could be any other if Amazon has more to offer. I could say I am more fan of Amazon. Topping just as much as any other, Schiit is cool too at that price range, I like it, but Amazon doesn't offer it. Just be careful not to miss returning date if you still won't like A90D ; )

Cheers!

P.S. Can you write a short insight into those headphones that you have? I am exploring what's the best planar, but not sky-high in price. I have Monolith M1060c, and I like it a lot, but I am interested if there are better ones that would surprise me as HD 800s did.
Haven’t tried many, but I started my planar journey with Sundaras where I first discovered planar bass. Got hooked so ended up upgrading to the Edition XS but it wasn’t a huge change. Going to the LCD-XC, I got what I’m looking for. You feel like youre wrapped in a blanket of warm, textured bass. It really excels at electronic genres.

May 5, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #741 of 807

Cheers!

To me that would be the Edition XS, it has great detail and tonality, and a massive sense of scale. Audeze would be the more linear path from 1060C since thats what its aping, but I don't personally think Audezes are very good -though EQ helps. But thats a matter of personal taste ofcourse.

May 5, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #742 of 807
Haven’t tried many, but I started my planar journey with Sundaras where I first discovered planar bass. Got hooked so ended up upgrading to the Edition XS but it wasn’t a huge change. Going to the LCD-XC, I got what I’m looking for. You feel like youre wrapped in a blanket of warm, textured bass. It really excels at electronic genres.
I was thinking about your opinion about LCD-XC. They are definitely on my watch list; that's why I asked. How you described them, it's similar to what I felt with M1060C. Listening to them, I could feel the sound from clubs I used to go a lot in the '90s. I wouldn't say wrapped in a blanket, but rather being in a large place, surrounded by marble walls, with a huge sound that could only be reproduced in such places as clubs. That's how I got my Tinnitus, haha. I can't imagine more excitement than with HD800s and HD820. I am not looking for open and airy sound in planars but rather domed, powerful, detailed, and clean sound from clubs. I am happy with M1060C, but...which planar (closed back) is as exciting and good as dynamic HD800s?

Cheers!

May 5, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #743 of 807
Any information or rumors about Topping A90D mk2? Considering the speed with which Topping's products are coming out, it's time for press releases to arrive.
In the new version of the amplifier, it would be nice to increase the power by 20-30%, install a linear power supply and remove feedback in the amplifier circuit.

May 7, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #744 of 807
Nobody changed the knob yet?

1683512694852.png

May 9, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #747 of 807
Any information or rumors about Topping A90D mk2? Considering the speed with which Topping's products are coming out, it's time for press releases to arrive.
In the new version of the amplifier, it would be nice to increase the power by 20-30%, install a linear power supply and remove feedback in the amplifier circuit.
Based on how A70 Pro deliver almost twice the power of A90d, the newer version A90d (someday if released) should be more powerful than a mere 20-30% increase.

I think Topping will release the successor of A90 first, before update the A90d.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #749 of 807
Wow...long-time Topping fan here. Recently bought a PA5 from Apos that was dead on arrival. Made me think twice about Topping quality, and had an awful time trying to get a refund for it from Apos.

Now, I just noticed that my A90D is displaying the "-5" error on the display. Was purchased from Apos on 8/22. And...as I was typing this, it just "corrected" itself. I heard some relay clicks and checked the display again, and now it's displaying the current volume. I'm sure that will make any potential refunds with Apos that much easier... /s

For whatever it's worth, I am super anal-retentive about my equipment to the point where it's arguably obsessive. To that end, none of my equipment is "stacked" directly on top of each other as to prevent convective heat exchange, and I /literally/ never turn the equipment off. So, this was basically a best-case scenario for the amp. I think whatever is occurring isn't just due to "wear," or anything like that.

Anyway, very disappointed, but wanted to add my personal datapoint to the conversation, in case anyone reading this is considering buying an A90D. An absolutely amazing amp, otherwise...

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #750 of 807
Wow...long-time Topping fan here. Recently bought a PA5 from Apos that was dead on arrival. Made me think twice about Topping quality, and had an awful time trying to get a refund for it from Apos.

Now, I just noticed that my A90D is displaying the "-5" error on the display. Was purchased from Apos on 8/22. And...as I was typing this, it just "corrected" itself. I heard some relay clicks and checked the display again, and now it's displaying the current volume. I'm sure that will make any potential refunds with Apos that much easier... /s

For whatever it's worth, I am super anal-retentive about my equipment to the point where it's arguably obsessive. To that end, none of my equipment is "stacked" directly on top of each other as to prevent convective heat exchange, and I /literally/ never turn the equipment off. So, this was basically a best-case scenario for the amp. I think whatever is occurring isn't just due to "wear," or anything like that.

Anyway, very disappointed, but wanted to add my personal datapoint to the conversation, in case anyone reading this is considering buying an A90D. An absolutely amazing amp, otherwise...
I had that issue; was advised it's due to a faulty XMOS chip. I had a replacement within the week from my retailer.

I like the amp; it is a big step up from the THX 789; however my current setup with my decade old OTL amp is another step up from the A90D. It is just that much wider in stage and natural, while retaining 95% of the A90D's speed and resolution.

I find that I need to use the A90D in conjunction with my Gustard P26 preamp to have an acceptably spacious stage. The Eletech XLR cable (which is a fantastic cable by the way) I use with the A90D is a bit too warm to use on top of the P26 preamp with the orange opamps which are also warm leaning. Will be trying the A90D again once I get a silver core XLR cable from Gladiator Cables...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back