Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #781 of 807
I have it the same as above, except I use a remote. I have an E70+A90D, and I always use the remote of the A90D to change the volume. I set the volume on E70 at -0.0db and left it that way.

Cheers!
Yes I just set my d90le to dac mode & -0.0db setting also & will just use the a90 discrete remote unless i decide to change from xlr to rca or change sound modes then I will use the d90le remote. Cheers.

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #782 of 807
Just got my Topping A90 D in today along with my Balanced headphone XLR cable going to HE560s. Still waiting for my Gashelli J2 to arrive with XLR connects to A90D and Toslink from computer. SO, I just have a cheap RCA out to the A90D until it all arrives. Had me worried all day, spinning in circles trying to get sound out of the unit. And for most of the day no sound. Until I stumbled on the Gain aspect and the fact that I had the volume set to 30 because I didn't want to blow my headphones up when it finally kicked on. Well, Found that the H gain did work, (and repeated pressing B until a 1 showed up) I heard a very faint sound and then very nice between 85 and 95. That's what level is about right for easy listening for me. But I was wondering if I want to really kick out some rock or just want to get lost in some higher volume listening, am I missing a setting other than what I've mentioned? And a second question, will including the J2 DAC in front change the output volume on the A90D? I guess I could be happy with the volume, but just seems there could be more. I know the HE560s are hard to drive, planar magnetics.
PS Qobuz volume is set to max

Sep 28, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #783 of 807
Just got my Topping A90 D in today along with my Balanced headphone XLR cable going to HE560s. Still waiting for my Gashelli J2 to arrive with XLR connects to A90D and Toslink from computer. SO, I just have a cheap RCA out to the A90D until it all arrives. Had me worried all day, spinning in circles trying to get sound out of the unit. And for most of the day no sound. Until I stumbled on the Gain aspect and the fact that I had the volume set to 30 because I didn't want to blow my headphones up when it finally kicked on. Well, Found that the H gain did work, (and repeated pressing B until a 1 showed up) I heard a very faint sound and then very nice between 85 and 95. That's what level is about right for easy listening for me. But I was wondering if I want to really kick out some rock or just want to get lost in some higher volume listening, am I missing a setting other than what I've mentioned? And a second question, will including the J2 DAC in front change the output volume on the A90D? I guess I could be happy with the volume, but just seems there could be more. I know the HE560s are hard to drive, planar magnetics.
PS Qobuz volume is set to max
Button B on number 1 with source at full volume & control volume at a90d knob.

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #785 of 807
Does anyone know how to open up this amp?

I want to drill don't some holes at the top for ventilation.

Thanks

I'm sure it's fine stock for ventilation. Let me put some holes in it so dust can get in there instead! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #786 of 807
I'm sure it's fine stock for ventilation. Let me put some holes in it so dust can get in there instead! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
not sure what you meant by"fine stock for ventilation" as I cannot see any ventilation holes on the device.

plenty of hifi components has ventilation holes and dusts can be easily clean.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #787 of 807
I'm playing with a Topping A90D at this point also and to still have something nice to listen to after I send the malfunctioning Aune S17 back which I should do by next Monday. It's an interesting comparison. The S17 presents a soundstage that is a few rows back. The A90D puts you in the front row where it seems to grip and control the main sounds that you hear at a slight loss of hall sound or reverb. Some tracks make the A90D quite enjoyable while others clearly favor the quicker attack on the leading edge and resolution of reverb tails by the S17 even if it is bit distant by comparison. The Topping is soft on top. Even though the S17 is by no means bright itself.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #789 of 807
A couple more observations about the A90D, it (and the Aune S17). The amp sounds better on low gain. And at the highest number (least series resistance of the R2R volume resistors?) volume indication. So, set your "volume curve" selection to the highest setting (quietest) that still gets you to the loudest listening level that you need.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #790 of 807
Dec 6, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #792 of 807
That varies very much from one individual to another :wink:

Cheers!
That is why there are 5 different selectable "Volume Curves". Each one much quieter than the last. So people with very different set ups and listening level preferences can still find a setting that lets them listen at between 80 and 99 in order to get the best sound quality.

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #793 of 807
Hmm, if I am correct...you wrote about settings in low gain ("The amp sounds better on low gain.")...and low gain was seldom good enough for me, not on A90D, too...hm...I have a new amp (SPL Phonito XE) that I might keep on a low gain setting, but I still haven't listened to all the headphones I have with it.

But, there is a chance for a low gain for the first time. :wink:

Cheers!

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #794 of 807
not sure what you meant by"fine stock for ventilation" as I cannot see any ventilation holes on the device.

plenty of hifi components has ventilation holes and dusts can be easily clean.
I personally never had a temperature issue even during summer time here in sunny Greece, it just gets a bit warm.

Dec 7, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #795 of 807
The topping A90D sounds more about grip and control of the main body of the instruments and with more weight in the bass. The Aune S17 has a wider, deeper soundstage and more detail of the reverb decay but is more distant with less powerful body of each instrument. The A90D is a bit soft on top from the upper midrange which places a slight veil over female vocals and hall air but I run Foobar with the Math Audio EQ plugin so I can dial in a slight treble lift above 7k. The new price of $509US is very fair compared to $699 for the S17. And the volume control of the A90D actually works. My S17 is going back until I find out that I can get one without the wonky volume control. The latest person to post in the other thread reported that their new S17 comes with the "fine volume control" and does change volume by 2db every other step (mine changes the indicated number every time but only gets louder by 4db every 4th step. Until you go from 55 to 56 where it jumps 7db all of a sudden) People in warmer climates will have to listen at the lower bias setting due to coming up against the internal 69C temp limit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back