Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Jul 24, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #76 of 807
Jul 24, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #77 of 807
Thank you for insinuating that I can't hear.
Everyone that doesn't agree is what? Dupe? Inexperienced? An ego boy (honestly in 52 years in this hobby never seen or met a female one). How about weaned on live acoustic music - from age 5 to recently?

I've seen the Hersh-Houck days where everything is perfect, when Bose 901's were King. - because the distortion was .0001 n o t .1, the start of the neurotic high end, SS vs tube, the blossoming of the high end insanity, the ascent of the ABX box, the need to pick one or the other of the tribes and argue ad nauseum, HT, new Schiit, old crap...

You know what? When you stake everything on being right it obscures the fact that responsible companies/designers should listen and measure and that the actual experience is subjective. Then tempered by economics, liveability, tastes in music ( change with time), experience. I've found good usable data/impressions on both sides, and a large pile of baloney too. Some prefer the journey and not the stiff boundaries.

As I recall "Data" on STNG kept striving to be more human. Did you ever buy or keep equipment that proved you were part of the cult? I did from the other side a few times between '84 - '95 - after I confirmed that I became more objective and disciplined. Remember it's music as it was made that's the goal not ego stroking and embracing an ism.

Jul 25, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #78 of 807
Everyone that doesn't agree is what? Dupe? Inexperienced? An ego boy (honestly in 52 years in this hobby never seen or met a female one). How about weaned on live acoustic music - from age 5 to recently?
No, I stated that they sounded the same to me and he essentially told me that I was deaf because I "couldn't hear the difference". No idea what you're going on about with "ego boys" and being weaned.

I've seen the Hersh-Houck days where everything is perfect, when Bose 901's were King. - because the distortion was .0001 n o t .1, the start of the neurotic high end, SS vs tube, the blossoming of the high end insanity, the ascent of the ABX box, the need to pick one or the other of the tribes and argue ad nauseum, HT, new Schiit, old crap...
Uhh...

You know what? When you stake everything on being right it obscures the fact that responsible companies/designers should listen and measure and that the actual experience is subjective. Then tempered by economics, liveability, tastes in music ( change with time), experience. I've found good usable data/impressions on both sides, and a large pile of baloney too. Some prefer the journey and not the stiff boundaries.
???

As I recall "Data" on STNG kept striving to be more human. Did you ever buy or keep equipment that proved you were part of the cult? I did from the other side a few times between '84 - '95 - after I confirmed that I became more objective and disciplined. Remember it's music as it was made that's the goal not ego stroking and embracing an ism.
Cult? What? Are you OK?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #79 of 807
No, I stated that they sounded the same to me and he essentially told me that I was deaf because I "couldn't hear the difference". No idea what you're going on about with "ego boys" and being weaned.

Uhh...

???

Cult? What? Are you OK?
Sorry it was a general posting for all - not directed at you. Pardon.

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #81 of 807
Jul 25, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #83 of 807
Are there any DACs that have a 12v out trigger? I assume Topping is working on one.
Benchmark DAC3 is one of them
benchmark_500_14800_331_dac3_l_reference_dac_and_1296922.jpg
BENCHAMARK_DAC_3_online_2.jpg

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #84 of 807
I know good and bad are subjective, but an amplifier should amplify the signal, and there's only one correct way to do that. That's not subjective.

This is a shockingly arrogant statement.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #85 of 807
Aug 3, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #87 of 807
would it be possible to connect my turntable phono amp to the a90 discrete in RCA to use with my Sennheiser headphones ? thanks
You'd need to have a "Phono Preamp" directly after the turntable to do that...that's if your turntable doesn't have an internal one for it's outputs.

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #88 of 807
Just got my A90D delivered. It came with Firmware 2.3 already and after connecting it to my Mac Studio with a USB-C to USB-A cable, the firmware drive came up on my desktop immediately. Sound is as good as my A90. Can't really hear any difference with my Sennheiser 660s or with my Sundaras. I have it set it up in High gain and volume at 65 is plenty loud for me. This is really the perfect companion for my Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 :wink:

IMG_3174.jpeg

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #89 of 807
Just got my A90D delivered. It came with Firmware 2.3 already and after connecting it to my Mac Studio with a USB-C to USB-A cable, the firmware drive came up on my desktop immediately. Sound is as good as my A90. Can't really hear any difference with my Sennheiser 660s or with my Sundaras. I have it set it up in High gain and volume at 65 is plenty loud for me. This is really the perfect companion for my Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3 :wink:

Looking to mirror the same setup in the future, but all white and probably Matrix with new Sabre chipset.
P.S Enrico Can you give a link for this beautiful stand that Matrix is sitting?

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #90 of 807

Users who are viewing this thread

Back