Topaz Low-Capacitance Isolation Transformers - for Affordably Clean Power
May 19, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #256 of 562
I recently bought the 91095-32 'MGE' branded iso transformer off of eBay and am very excited to see how this does added into my system. Looking for better noise floor of course.

Is there anything I should look out for, re-wire or diagnose before connecting it to my APC voltage regulator and then connecting my dac and amp? I'm not very knowledgeable in the electronics field save a few soldering jobs making power cables.

My main concern is from this video
Where the gentleman goes to say that the unit may be wired improperly for normal use. I just don't want to blow anything up any equipment including myself trying to reach the pinnacle of audio.

Any tips?

Thanks!

If you cant take it to an electrician to be tested, take some pictures of the wiring and post em here or on the other forum. Very simple to open em up just 4 screws on each panel.

May 20, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #258 of 562
Absolutely I'll do that. Expecting it sometime this week :)

Probably go ahead and get a new fuse. You can use whatever the panel says, I think it might be 10a on the 500va model, but maybe go with 5a instead. I use the 250va models and it was recommended to use 2a fuses.

The bussman type mda slow blow(time delay) 6mmx30mm ceramic fuses like this:

Pack of 5 MDA 5A (BK/MDA 5A) 125V/250v Slow Blow Ceramic Fuses, T5A 5 amp, 6x30mm (1/4 inch x 1-1/4 inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WKGIBY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_KHJ4CbE07BWSS

May 20, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #259 of 562
Mind adding the rest of your equipment as well? Nice to see the full chain, i.e. having a straight usb connection(no isolation) to a pc but only have the dac/amp on the ultra isolator isnt great.

May 20, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #260 of 562
So my chain will go like this...

APC volt regulator > 91095-32 isolation transformer > Blue Circle PLC Puck (2x recepticles) > Project Horizon amplifier on receptacle 1 and PB4X4pro power distributor on receptacle 2

Connected to the PB4x4:
Receptacle 1 = ifi ipurifier
Receptacle 2 = LPS to power Khadas Tone Board DAC
Receptacle 3 = LPS to power Paul Pang V2 usb card

Project Horizon amp is being powered by an LPS and I'm not sure where the best place to connect it is. I keep reading that it's best to connect it on a separate outlet or at least on it's own, from the dac and other equipment.

I'm also trying to figure out if I might benefit more connecting my PC to one of the receptacles of the Topaz... But these PCs generate so much noise of their own I don't want it to affect my audio equipment.

All of this is subject to change of course in my grand adventure of audio :)

May 20, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #261 of 562
So my chain will go like this...

APC volt regulator > 91095-32 isolation transformer > Blue Circle PLC Puck (2x recepticles) > Project Horizon amplifier on receptacle 1 and PB4X4pro power distributor on receptacle 2

Connected to the PB4x4:
Receptacle 1 = ifi ipurifier
Receptacle 2 = LPS to power Khadas Tone Board DAC
Receptacle 3 = LPS to power Paul Pang V2 usb card

Project Horizon amp is being powered by an LPS and I'm not sure where the best place to connect it is. I keep reading that it's best to connect it on a separate outlet or at least on it's own, from the dac and other equipment.

I'm also trying to figure out if I might benefit more connecting my PC to one of the receptacles of the Topaz... But these PCs generate so much noise of their own I don't want it to affect my audio equipment.

All of this is subject to change of course in my grand adventure of audio :)

You want everything electrically connected to be on the topaz. If the pc has a large smps then you might want to consider some kind of data transport with isolation. The paul pang usb card is externally powered but does it have galvanic isolation? if not then youd want the pc on the topaz as well. The horizon should also be on the topaz.

May 22, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #262 of 562
The item arrived today (in TERRIBLE shipping condition). The bottom bolt was not even in, it was sitting in the shipping box. The only packing in the box was a half full amount of that popcorn packing which is very poor material for how much the item weighs. All 4 bolts holding the middle transformer connecting it to the outer off white cases ends are broken. Gosh, such luck. This is the first time ive had a bad egg for shipping condition. Guess it had to happen sometime aye?

Here's a picture of the power cord and. Need pics of the receptacle end?
0522191715.jpg
0522191716.jpg
0522191713.jpg

May 22, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #265 of 562
That looks like a take it to an electrician situation.

Also, the PC you're using, what kind of specs does it have? cpu, gpu, psu

May 22, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #268 of 562
I7 5820k
Gtx 1080ti
750w seasonic gold rated

I plugged the iso to the wall and theres no audible hum.

Thats too much pc for that transformer, you would want high speed usb galvanic isolation or optical before the dac.

Sorry for all this late info. I should compile this all into one post haha.

Better picture of the receptacle

Heh for the pictures just very clear photos of the wiring connections

May 22, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #269 of 562
I was planning to pickup an iso regen for GI! From my paul pang v2 usb card, to the iso regen to the dac.

In this current wiring state would it be feasable to at least connect my headphone amp, before seeking an electrician? Certainly unadvisable, but what's the worst that could happen side blowng my amp up o_o

May 22, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #270 of 562
I was planning to pickup an iso regen for GI! From my paul pang v2 usb card, to the iso regen to the dac.

In this current wiring state would it be feasable to at least connect my headphone amp, before seeking an electrician? Certainly unadvisable, but what's the worst that could happen side blowng my amp up o_o

The negative effect of only having the headphone amplifier on the isolation transformer would be very high noise generated by leakage currents.

if the transformer is improperly wired, anythings possible... The ground wiring on that unit is diffrent then other units, with the ground wire attached to the outside chassis instead if the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back