Top Ten Things You Need to Know About ....
Jun 21, 2007 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
Ivy (our Marketing VP) had a great idea the other day. Really, a great idea, but you'll never know how great it is untill you've struggled with making a serious wed information resource.

As you know, there's a lot to write about the headphone world. When you build a website with the intention of becoming a solid web resource for the average Joe and/or technophile (someone who knows how to program the remote on their VCR---and nowadays has gone far past a crappy old VCR) you find yourself wanting to basically write a book. But no "normal mortal" is going to read a whole book about headphones. (Us headphone geek would read just about anything ... witness Jahns 10,000 posts
wink.gif
). Writing a book is a nice idea though, and you could build a slick website that is basically an informative index to the "book" at the back end, but still, you have to write the damn book before you build a slick web site to index it.

That may be gobblty-gook to you, and that's why I said Ivy's idea was genious. As we struggle for logical interim steps, her idea of a series of "Top Ten Lists" provides a sweet stepping stone for a medium-term temporary solution to concentrate information without having to completely re-write our whole web site. Let me paint the picture.

We're working towards more tightly integrating our product lists and buyers guide info. Traffic patterns on our web site show that people surf the "product info" menus more than they trafic the "buyers guide" menus. So we are going to mix them into each other a little and put some condensed buyers guid info in the product trees. But we also find the our "Top Ten Headphones" page is BY FAR our most viewed destination page. Ivy's idea is to put up a series of "Top Ten" pages as we mix buyers guid info in with product info. That way we can have another layer of travel in our site, while we work on the "Book" and big flip of the site.

So, here's the question: What catagories of "Top Ten"-style pages would be worthwhile for people, and what would your "Top Ten" picks be. Here's a list to get you started:

Top Ten Ways to Protect Your Hearing

Top Ten Best iPod Upgrade Cans

Top Ten Best Websites (other than HeadRoom of course) for Headphone Related Info

Top Ten Best Headphone Demo Tracks

Top Ten World's Best Headphones (living or dead)

Top Ten Worlds Best Headphone Amps (living or dead) (We might not actually publish this, but hey, I'm curious if we make the list)

Top Ten Best Headphone Gifts for Headphone Geeks to Give Friends

Top Ten Things You Didn't Know About Your Hearing

Top Ten Best Places To Get Audio Gear Info Other Than Headphones

Top Ten Headphone Manufacturers

You get the idea. Please feel free to make up lists and suggest far less than ten entries, we'll make up the numbers with all the suggestions.

Again, we reserve the right to do what we think is best, but we'd love your input.

Jun 21, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 14
Ways to take care of/maintain your gear. Such as the right position to keep cables in when stored and how to wash earpads.

Jun 21, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 14
After market mods (like the kramer mods)
Interconnects/cables
Cable makers
Noise canceling headphones
Top 10 headphones for (Exercise/travel/work/home/etc.)
Top 10 IEM tips

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 14
  1. Ten Helpful Headphone Related DIY Sites (avoid "top" for this one, I think)
  2. Top Ten Audiophile Inventions/Breakthroughs
  3. Top Ten Headphone Listening Chairs
  4. Top Ten Tubes
  5. Top Ten Explanations to Significant Other for New Gear
  6. Top Ten Rationalizations for Upgraditis
  7. Top Ten Ways to Ensure You're Getting The Best Peformance Out of Your Current Rig

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. Top Ten Ways to Ensure You're Getting The Best Peformance Out of Your Current Rig

I like that one. Maybe something similar like "Ten cost effective ways to improve your current system" in certain price ranges like <$50, <$100, <$500, <$1000

Oh and for computer as source I would include in the list an outboard DAC

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. Top Ten Ways to Ensure You're Getting The Best Peformance Out of Your Current Rig

...and the number one way to ensure that you're getting the best performance out of your current rig is to

...listen to it and quit analyzing it!

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 14
OH I just had a good idea (IMO)

Top Ten accessories that don't necessarily affect sound quality

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and the number one way to ensure that you're getting the best performance out of your current rig is to

...listen to it and quit analyzing it!

Now that's just silly!
icon10.gif

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 14
'Top ten' within price ranges or 'top ten' period?

How about some suggested systems? (Source - amp - headphone)

Some theory? (Questions we often see here like - what is impedance?)

Instructions for beginners - How to listen and what to listen for. (ie what does 'good' treble sound like? What is grain?)

Ian

Jun 21, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about some suggested systems? (Source - amp - headphone)

Some theory? (Questions we often see here like - what is impedance?)

Instructions for beginners - How to listen and what to listen for. (ie what does 'good' treble sound like? What is grain?)

See! That's the book I'm talking about. We'll do just those type of things over time. But setting up a way to index those types of things while the whole body of information is not yet complete is mayhem. That's why Ivy's Idea is such genious: If we do a section of the web site that is "Top Ten 'Top Ten' Lists", we can get a lot of imprtant information out in dense form without having to write a lot of narrative around them, and in a manner that is intuitive and easy to navigate.

Jun 21, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 14
Top 10 headphones for ____ music (Vocal, Bassy, Instrumental, Guitar, Etc.)

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 14
  1. Top Ten DIY Solutions

I love how tweaking to the max gets you so much more enjoyment without you spending much more than the price of the tool (eg. Basic Dremel/rotary tool, Soldering Gun). There are the famous kramer mods for the E2 and KSC75 and Spark Plug; the Quarter- and Nickel-mod for foam pads; the component-swapping method for pretty much every piece of electronics à la Zhalou; the X-Fi mods; low-frequency damping à la Patrick82's rubble; general recabling guidelines. There are already plenty of sites that support their respective mods, but it'd be nice if someone could consolidate them all similar to what Headwize has done with their Library.
  1. Top Ten Reasons Not to Buy Our Stuff

Although a business' ultimate goal is profit (or is it?), shoving products into the consumer's face without educating them about it isn't what head-fi or headphone-dom is all about AFAIK. Let's try to reduce the amount of "I bought the E500s/SE530s because this site said it was the best but I didn't like it so I'm selling it for 80% the price after less than 1 hour of listening." The list could include stuff like

"Your wallet deserves better/This product is beyond your budget"
"You would get more sound improvement/value purchasing this before buying that"
"Try going to a meet and auditioning it before buying"
"This other product may have the sound you're looking for"
"Buy used via Audiogon, eBay, Craigslist, garage sale"
"Go to head-fi and research using the search"
"Try DIY"
"Someone else may have a better price for the same product"

I think this top ten lies on the same lines as the educational pages you currently have on your website; counter-intuitive perhaps, but I think your customers will appreciate it more than buying from some commission-driven Future Shop employee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back