Top ten albums of 2008
Jan 7, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 27
Shearwater - Rook
Made out of Babies - The Ruiner
Grails - Take Refuge in Clean Living (I don't yet own the latest one)
Kayo Dot - Blue Lambency Downward

That is of albums released this year. I have a bad habit of not following any music news and simply stumbling across artist with an album that is years old because it just happened to be in the wrong place of a record store. To be fully honest my most played albums for two years running now are Between the Buried and Me's The Silent Circus and Dog Fashion Disco's Adultery, but I don't think those count!

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 27
Rise Against - Appeal to Reason

personally, rise against is my favorite band, i dont think any of there songs on that album sounds bad. they are either decent or VERY GOOD. i love there music, i think they have a great message in each song, ok maybe not every single one of them, but they give a good message. many of them i think are prolly hidden in the lyrics, so they actually mean something else. i have a hard time trying to figure out what there lyrics mean. but overall, this is my favorite band.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 27
Enigma - "Seven Lives Many Faces"
Above & Beyond - "Anjunabeats, Vol. 6"

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 27
in no particular order i like the following:

sun kil moon - april
shearwater - rook
bon iver - for emma, forever ago (my album of the year)
she & him - volume one
MGMT - oracular spectacular
ratatat - lp3
tv on the radio - dear science
conor oberst - conor oberst

yeah, i got stuck in teh indie rock rut this year...goal for '09 spread my musical wings more.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 27
Mainly Mike Oldfield - Music of the Spheres for obvious reasons. I'm an Oldfield maniac and this is his best for several years

Also

Bloom 06 - Crash Test 02

Been waiting a while for this delayed second parter to a first half (Crash Test 01) that was delayed in the first place.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 27
I didn't really hear enough new records in 2008 to make a meaningful top 10, but I will anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

1. Shearwater - Rook
Eccentric and adventurous rock in the tradition of Van Morrison, with even a nod to his great Veedon Fleece in the "Home Life" opening lyric. I think it all came together this time for Meiburg, the inspired lyrical imagery coupled with his allegorical music vision, at times reminiscent of the progressive folk of Jethro Tull's Songs from the Wood, or bits of Aqualung, but channeled through Talk Talk's later Spirit of Eden post rock vision to strip away the excesses. His voice is the best it has ever been, recorded without most of the needless reverb this time, it floats and then soars effortlessly, like the majestic birds that live in so much of his music. Just 35 minutes, but a beautiful record.

2. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
Classic sounding mix of folk and pop music in the tradition of Nick Drake and Elliot Smith. What a talent, great songwriting and production, mastered very nice too. Refreshingly so, and it really does get better with each listen. Gonna be tough for him to do something like this again, something that so captures a little place in time with so many people, mostly just word of mouth in the beginning, bloggers that had heard the initial self-released CD and had to talk about it, and finally a real indie label release, and many more like myself getting the chance to listen over and over. I remember downloading "re: stacks" early in the year, and it became almost like a spring soundtrack, just that one song, until the record was finally released. Should be like one of those classic, yet under-appreciated, records that continues to shimmer many years after the tide goes out, kind of quaint and fragile, but full of wonder. Has a real timeless quality to it, beautiful and charming record. Almost everything about it is understated, even the artwork, but that's one of the things that makes it so nice.

3. Deerhunter - Microcastle / Weird Era Continued
I've been listening to this 2-CD set over and over for the last couple months and it just feels so right. Almost like a mix of the La's (or maybe one of the 70's power pop bands like the Shoes) and My Bloody Valentine. Adventurous, but still very accessible mix of ambience and slightly off-kilter pop. Some very impressive guitar work too. And it really is two records in one, both with their own unique qualities, and their own charms.

4. Wovenhand - Ten Stones
5. Willard Grant Conspiracy - Pilgrim Road
6. Portishead - Third
7. Sun Kil Moon - April
8. Throw Me the Statue - Moonbeams
9. British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
10. Vampire Weekend

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #13 of 27
not in any heirarchy...
Elbow - The Seldom Scene Kid
smarter than Coldplay and less pretentious than Radiohead...

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That **** Gold
hello thumpin' 80's hip-hop with Awesome production to boot

Antony & the Johnsons - Another World ep
just gorgeous (full length out Jan. 20)

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Shearwater - Rook

Josephine Foster - This Coming Gladness
scary and gorgeous for late, late nights

Erykah Badu - New Amerikah

Black Keys - Attack and Release
if White Stripes were this good...

Deerhunter - Microcastles/Weird Era Cont.

Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride
welcome back Mtn. Goats

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #14 of 27
Top Five

Why? - Alopecia
Yoni Wolf is pretty much a genius. I've been more familiar with his other group cLOUDDEAD, but this year Why? has just blown me over and hooked me for life. Lyrically and musically it is just a total blast to listen to and completely feel. It's a weird nerdy, beautiful, blissful place his music takes you. For me there's nothing else like it.

Portishead - Third
I've loved Portishead since i was about 16...17? And this album pretty much took me beyond that and made me re-realize why i love this band so damn much. This album could be at times scary and chill you to the bone and at others you can get lost and feel completely safe in the music and blindly follow where it's leading you.

Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom
I'm a newish Mount Eerie fan, and started out with No Flashlight, then this. It makes my heart feel warm, and achy. What more could you ask for.

Chad VanGaalen - Soft Airplane
Bah, Chad VanGaalen is my hero. His music is all over the place but always for a reason and that's what i love about it most. It's like...when people say, they walk to the beat of their own drummer. Well, he kinda seems like he's my drummer incarnated.

Ghostland Observatory - Robotique Majestique
Kick ass, good times. Owns your mom. Nothing more to say.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #15 of 27
Flogging Molly - Float This definitely belongs in the top 10 of 2008, if you haven't heard it, have a listen sometime.
Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Jakob Dylan - Seeing Things
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Enigma - Seven Lives Many Faces

Users who are viewing this thread

Back